New Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jeep

I bought a new Jeep a couple weeks ago. Wife and I traded in the Sport S we had and decided we're going to build a fairly badass rock crawling rig. Last weekend I installed a new winch. Right now I'm looking for e a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift. Once that's installed we'll be upgrading the tires to 37s. We hope to have quite a bit of fun in the mountains this summer.

I've still got the Raptor too. I can't get rid of the best truck ever..

Last edited by Sgt Beavis; 03-08-2021, 04:38 PM.

nice

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why a brand new vehicle to turn into a trail rig?

I'm all for building a bad ass rig and won't fault you one bit whatever you say; just curious why not a used one for a lot less money up front (= more money for mods).

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post

I'm all for building a bad ass rig and won't fault you one bit whatever you say; just curious why not a used one for a lot less money up front (= more money for mods).
        Ya broke motha fucka.

Comment

New Jeep

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
          Ya broke motha fucka.

Guess I shouldn’t have bought all the Fry’s stock last month...

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post

Kinda what I was thinking.. And if building a bad ass rock crawler, you're going to want to tear out most of what benefits you get with buying the Rubicon. I mean, once you replace axles and other stuff that will surely be upgraded, you lose the benefit of the lockers, slightly better front axle (better than the sport), hearing / etc. I would have just kept the sport and built it up.

Now, if I was going to keep a mild build, just a small lift, 35's, etc, then the Rubicon is worth it.

Hell, my Sport did decent in Moab with no lockers, just a leveling kit and 35's (with flat fenders to accommodate). It was otherwise stock in the running gear:

24 likes, 1 comments - craig_in_texas on April 24, 2019: "Climbing the Z Turn on Moab Rim Trail #fullsizeinvasion2019 #ejs2019 #easterjeepsafari #ob5444 #..."

Comment

All that said, it's definitely a nice rig.. I'd just do the 2.5 lift, 37's and otherwise accessorize the hell out of it for convenience, comfort and self recovery.

I miss (and don't miss) mine.

Attached Files
              Last edited by Chili; 02-26-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Well there are a few things. For one, while this is a family toy it's also going to be my wife's daily driver. So, in that regard, newer = better. Also, even used Rubicons aren't exactly cheap unless they're pretty high mileage.

We had a Sport but i wanted to move up to bigger axles, lockers, swaybar, etc and I had plenty of equity in the Sport I traded so I pulled the trigger.

BTW, you do realize who you're talking to right? I mean how many cars have I bought in the last 10 years alone. I'm not exactly doing any of this for my financial betterment to begin with

As for mods, Rock Krawler is taking 12 weeks or more on orders so we're getting a MetalCloak lift instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  As for mods, Rock Krawler is taking 12 weeks or more on orders so we're getting a MetalCloak lift instead.
                  You dodged a bullet there. I don’t know anything about Metal Cloak, and I know that Rock Krawler does make decent stuff, BUT the owner can be a real jerk with zero customer service skills or give a shit. He cost me quite a bit of money and time, said he would make it right, and never did.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                    You dodged a bullet there. I don’t know anything about Metal Cloak, and I know that Rock Krawler does make decent stuff, BUT the owner can be a real jerk with zero customer service skills or give a shit. He cost me quite a bit of money and time, said he would make it right, and never did.
                    I heard from two different shops that RK was difficult to work with but this is the first I had heard why. I’m mainly going with MC due to the type of bushings they use for extra flex, their reputation, and the reviews for ride quality. At the end of the day, they really aren’t even that much more expensive.

Comment

I like the Metal Cloak stuff and had I kept my Jeep I planned to do the sliders, fenders and other undercarriage protection.

Comment

I have a RK 3.5 on my JKU but Rock Jock rear arms with the Johnny Joints. I would just do the Rock Jock lift next time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          I like the Metal Cloak stuff and had I kept my Jeep I planned to do the sliders, fenders and other undercarriage protection.
                          At some point I figure we'll put some undercarriage armor on it. MC is my first choice there as well. I'll post pics of the lift after we finally get it done. I got in a Rugged Ridge HD tire carrier to hold the 37s. I went ahead and installed it over the week.

Comment

Very cool. It drives me crazy how many people around here cheap out and don't buy a tire carrier, instead run no spare.

After we got a flat way up in in the middle of the Alpine Loop, I almost decided to carry two spares as it cut that trip short. Mainly because we couldn't find a 35" tire anywhere near where we were..

IMO the sliders and fenders were the priority as the Jeep already has stuff tucked nicely above the frame.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Yea, a lot just think a tire repair kit is a good alternative. They’re also betting someone else will loan them a spare. I do agree that removing the tire gives you a much better departure angle but the benefit isn’t gonna help you when you’re miles away from civilization. Especially so if you’re alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X