No announcement yet.

Off Road Trailer (Truck Bed) Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool setup but I think you should of started with a 8ft bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
      If you felt the dip was runny you were probably spraying it on too thick. Project looks cool thougb!
      Every little speck was "runny", not that it built up and ran.. IDK, difficult to explain. It work well though.

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
      Cool setup but I think you should of started with a 8ft bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
      I didn't really want a full size truck bed, mainly due to the weight, not to mention the looks. All of the full size bed trailers I have seen did not look very good (big and bulky). Keep in mind, when I bought this it was to supplement the Bronco. It's actually bigger than it looks. The inside dimensions are 6' x 5' x 16" deep.

This bed has plenty of room for what I need, and I will be gaining even more space with the new tent. Our ground tent is quite large, the bedding / sleeping bags can stay in the new tent when folded up. Plus I will no longer need to take our cots and a few other smaller items associated solely with the ground tent..

One of the best attributes of the new tent is that set up and take down time is only about 10 minutes. And the way I want to lay out the trailer, we should not have to unload everything at each site. The goal being that we will be more mobile rather than staying at the same spot for an entire trip.

Comment

really cool project man. looking forward to updates
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Kick ass man!

Comment

Good work Chili.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                There are some pretty sweet trailers out there that you can buy, that would far exceed what I will ever do with this one, but they are so damn expensive. Hell, people are asking $3k - $4k for simple box trailers with minimal accessories. Some of those could be built for less than a grand.

Here is an example: https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/4421116964.html

Not to say they really get that much from them, but holy hell! Makes me want to buy a welding set-up and learn!

There are some really awesome trailers manufactured / sold in Australia. That's where a lot of the "Overland" stuff originates from. Many of the better equipped trailers are upward if $15k.. Nuts.

Comment

Back to my project.. It looks like it is only going to be Leah and I (sans dogs due to attending the JA Conference) on the Colorado trip, so we probably won't even take the trailer. I will just put the tent and awning on the Suburban for that trip, as we will have plenty of room for the rest of our stuff inside.

Fortunately, they do not require permanent modification, just bolt on to the roof rack. Other than lifting it up there, is pretty easy to install / remove.

Still plan on wrapping up the trailer asap, but may not be in as much of a rush.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                    There are some pretty sweet trailers out there that you can buy, that would far exceed what I will ever do with this one, but they are so damn expensive. Hell, people are asking $3k - $4k for simple box trailers with minimal accessories. Some of those could be built for less than a grand.

Here is an example: https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/for/4421116964.html

Not to say they really get that much from them, but holy hell! Makes me want to buy a welding set-up and learn!

There are some really awesome trailers manufactured / sold in Australia. That's where a lot of the "Overland" stuff originates from. Many of the better equipped trailers are upward if $15k.. Nuts.
                    I dont disagree there, Ive seen some way overpriced stuff out there. Hell the slide in campers that go in the bed of the truck are way overpriced IMHO, you can pay LESS for a similar trailer.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      I dont disagree there, Ive seen some way overpriced stuff out there. Hell the slide in campers that go in the bed of the truck are way overpriced IMHO, you can pay LESS for a similar trailer.
                      Yeah.. I guess that is the premium you pay to have the convenience of not having to tow a trailer (as to the slide-in campers).

Comment

Generally you have to analyze the features and 9 times out of 10 you won't use 1/2 the stuff you're using anyway - or the ones you will use are not built good enough and will break. (Talking about most outdoor things, boats, tents, and so on) So you end up dumping money into home-rigged stuff anyway.

Several things I do are "redneck" but I like them and they last.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I have a 8.5x16 enclosed that's been converted to a camping setup.. but since it's 16' and not a sprung axle, we dont take it very far off road. I'd have probably started with a simple spring-over 5x8 trailer, but what you've got going looks solid! keep up with the updates

Comment

Originally posted by lowthreeohz View Post
                            I have a 8.5x16 enclosed that's been converted to a camping setup.. but since it's 16' and not a sprung axle, we dont take it very far off road. I'd have probably started with a simple spring-over 5x8 trailer, but what you've got going looks solid! keep up with the updates
                            I've seen some pretty cool cargo trailer conversions. If I had dirtbikes or some other atv, that's probably the route I would go. Way more personalized and cheaper than commercial "toy haulers".

Comment

pretty cool little trailer...

Comment

Originally posted by HECDOGGIE View Post
                                pretty cool little trailer...
                                Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't made any additional progress, since we are not taking the trailer with us to Colorado. I have diverted some of the designated funds into upgrades on the Suburban instead.

All I need to complete the trailer (phase 1 anyhow) is the new axle and the rack to hold the tent and awning.

I do plan to have that stuff done by the fall, so that we can start camping more once the weather cools down. I was really jealous of all of the cool and cold weather camping Jluv did over this last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X