No announcement yet.

Radar detectors - a thing of the past?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar detectors - a thing of the past?

I just got back from driving to San Antonio and it got me questioning, are radar detectors a thing of the past? I've slowed down a lot as I've aged, but am still a pretty fast driver. I used to consider my Valentine 1 an absolute necessity, but when I switched form a sports car to a Jeep I put it on the shelf and haven't gotten it back out again. It seemed even back in the mid 2000's I started running into more and more cops running laser and by the time you were alerted it was too late. Am I right to assume 15 years later most cops shoot laser and they are pretty useless? I also remember it seemed to be the beginning of LED tail lights which would set it off as well, now most cars have'em.

I doubt I'll go back to having one ... just curious if they are even effective anymore and if anyone still uses them?
    DamonH

I've never used one, I just always watch my speed and use cruise as much as I can.

Comment

Haven't had a ticket in 15 years, I speed all the time but cut speed going over hills and watch surrounding cars to avoid the popo, I got like 5 speeding tickets from 16-18yrs old then learned how to do it right....
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I still use one in one of our cars, it's less important now that the red light cameras it used to warn of have gone away. True I think about the laser, but it still seems that most of our local police still use Ka radar.

Comment

I got popped on 190 a couple of weeks ago. Motorcycle cop with laser. I need to slow down.

Comment

Yeah, with the police reporting on Waze and using the old school common sense methods - rarely get pulled over.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Radar Detectors are Useless Now https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ess-now-263012

modern vehicle on the road is equipped with blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, and all of those systems seem to use some form of technology that makes a radar detector go crazy with flashing and chirping.

Comment

My Valentine sits in my desk drawer. All it does is tell me I'm about to pay the speeding tax.

I'll drop a gear and play from time to time on a straight road. My regular driving with the speed limits at 70-75 I'm just cruising nowadays.

One red-light or extra long bathroom break will kill any extra speeding to save time on a trip. Whats the point vs penalty for failure.
                Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

I do 80-85 on pretty much every highway. I just keep a look out for the usual trap spots.

Comment

I haven't had a ticket in almost 10 years. I slowed down and like Kyler sez, I just watch my speed over hills and around corners, a little common sense has helped me. I haven't owned a radar detector going on 20 yrs., but I was with my son in his ST and his was annoying as hell going off all the damn time. With all most all mfgs. using some type of microwaves in their vehicles now that probably makes them useless.

Speeding on the open highway does make up some time but with most Texas open roads at 70-75, you can get anywhere in a decent amount of time. I just put on the cruise control and relax...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Pretty much the same. I dont drive as crazy as I use to and just use my eyes and common sense. I never used a radar detector, too many false alarms and too expensive for the "good" ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        I do 80-85 on pretty much every highway. I just keep a look out for the usual trap spots.
                        Same.

Comment

Locally, to get from my house in Keller to my work in Arlington I have to traverse Keller, NRH, Fort Worth and Arlington surface streets which they only use Ka (except motorjocks who mainly stay on the highway)

So for me, being warned of the NRH Tahoe in the church parking lot off Davis running Ka is worth all the beeps and boops. Still saves me to this day.

For highway driving - depends on where you are going.

Oklahoma DPS doesn't have Laser, at least I've never been hit by in in the 15+ years driving to OKC and back (wife is from OKC - so I commuty for the booty)

But when I get on I-20 for a road trip, 5 over max.

Comment

Honestly, driving to Vegas and back, and taking a lot of side trips, I was surprised at the need to not really do anything but maybe 5 over when passing or pacing. Speed limits were a reasonable 75 even in the back areas.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I usually stick to 5 over on the highway these days. Hell, in both the Jeep and the Van, 75-80 starts to get challenging to maintain due to poor aero and low hp.

Comment

Working...
                              X