selling a vehicle to carmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
    Don't forget to factor in the sales tax savings of trading in on the new car vs selling to carmax or private party.
    Yeah, with a value that high the tax savings are going to be more noteable. What is it, like 6.25%? So you're talking $1500+.

Lea got quotes on her Acura from Car Max, mainly to use as a tool elsewhere, but they ended up having what she wanted in San Antonio so she ended up trading it in there. That said, they easily offered the most of the few dealers she went to.

Comment

Sonic got my wife's mirror as well... It ended in a tie though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
        BUMP

I'm selling a 2015 Expedition EL Limited as my wife and I ordered a Ford Transit passenger van (I know, I know). I've never sold a vehicle this new before as I've always had older used vehicles.

After reading this thread, I checked NADA and the Trade-In value is 29-30k. If we get 80% of that value we're looking at 24k. I checked AutoTrader.com and the prices range from 33k-39k for the same vehicle.

Here's my question: have any of you sold vehicles like this as a private seller? Do I stand any chance of selling this thing on the private market? I'd do AutoTrader and craigslist.

My thinking is, even if I sell it for a bit less than everyone on there and I get 30k, that's a hell of a lot better than 24k.

I'm going to CarMax within a week or two for an appraisal (gotta fix a broken mirror first - wife vs. Sonic and Sonic won).
        go big or go home i guess lol
        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Don't forget texasdirectauto.com either. I've sold and bought through them twice now.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            Autonation in Arlington used to rock on buying cars. I usually got more than I was going to list them for. Last time, they were way under. Show me the Vin beat them by 2k. I could have jacked with craigslist and got maybe 1k more but didn't want to mess with it. Autonation guy told me their bidding had been outsourced to Florida.
            Autonation is the Walmart of car dealers. They've gotten so big no one has the authority to do shit over there anymore. I was at the Autonation Ford store a few months ago and the showed me a 1.6L Fusion Ecoboost with a very clear rod knock. I laughed my ass off.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
              I was at the Autonation Ford store a few months ago and the showed me a 1.6L Fusion Ecoboost with a very clear rod knock.
              It's something to do with the EB motors, they all do it. I've heard its the ring gap that has to break in, but it sounds like a rod knock to me too.

I test/drove home a '17 Fusion sport with the twin turbo V-6, I brought it back a couple of days later to sign the paperwork and brought it to his attention. My wife wound up getting a '17 EB Mustang instead, it does it. I changed the oil at 4500 miles and filled it with Mobil 1 and FoMoCo filter. It progressively went away. It has a right at 10k miles now and i'm about to do another oil change and its almost completely gone. I guess it just has to break in, but it only does it at start up.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                It's something to do with the EB motors, they all do it. I've heard its the ring gap that has to break in, but it sounds like a rod knock to me too.

I test/drove home a '17 Fusion sport with the twin turbo V-6, I brought it back a couple of days later to sign the paperwork and brought it to his attention. My wife wound up getting a '17 EB Mustang instead, it does it. I changed the oil at 4500 miles and filled it with Mobil 1 and FoMoCo filter. It progressively went away. It has a right at 10k miles now and i'm about to do another oil change and its almost completely gone. I guess it just has to break in, but it only does it at start up.
                This wasn't ring gap. It was full blown rod knock. I've never heard an Ecoboost sound like that, it was LOUD. The car also had 45k.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sold my 2016 Honda Accord to Texas direct auto today. They gave me a really good price for it - I was surprised
                  2012 GT500

Comment

This wasn't ring gap. It was full blown rod knock. I've never heard an Ecoboost sound like that, it was LOUD. The car also had 45k.
                    Oh sorry, I was making reference to new EB motors.
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Autonation is the Walmart of car dealers. They've gotten so big no one has the authority to do shit over there anymore. I was at the Autonation Ford store a few months ago and the showed me a 1.6L Fusion Ecoboost with a very clear rod knock. I laughed my ass off.
                      They gave me a good chunk for my last supercharged Miata and two FX4's. The manager told me back then he could beat everyone's offer because he would clean it up and sell it off his lot and it wasn's going to auction. I guess something changed.

I have noticed dealers being less willing to negotiate lately. I have cash to buy my spare car and they are only coming off a few hundred dollars. I know a guy at Trophy so I got my wife a good deal on a Murano a few weeks ago. Waxahachie was straight up playing the old try and screw you game. I got her Platinum Murano right off the truck at Trophy for what Waxahachie was trying to sell me a demo for. Then they tried to hit me on the interest rate. I was like, you MF's must be new.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

When I got that CTS Coupe they brought me from Arkansas it sounded like it had lifter tap. It was the HPFP they put on those direct injection cars. Loved that car but as usual with GM products the console lights started blinking and I guess they haven't solved the timing chain issues 100 percent. I wasn't going to wait and find out.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          They offered $2500 more for my old Altima than Grapevine Ford did when I got my F150. Just dont forget of potential tax savings if you are buying a new vehicle

Same here. GVF offered me 500 less than Carmax.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            Don't forget texasdirectauto.com either. I've sold and bought through them twice now.
                            Thanks - I'll try them too!

I'm getting a number from the dealer where we ordered the van as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X