Washington Post Hacks Into Chevy To Show How Much Cars Are Spying On Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Post Hacks Into Chevy To Show How Much Cars Are Spying On Owners

After having to take a bit of the car apart to reach the computer, The Post found that Chevy collected the following information:

There on a map was the precise location where I’d driven to take apart the Chevy. There were my other destinations, like the hardware store I’d stopped at to buy some tape.

Among the trove of data points were unique identifiers for my and Doug’s phones, and a detailed log of phone calls from the previous week. There was a long list of contacts, right down to people’s address, emails and even photos.

For a broader view, Mason also extracted the data from a Chevrolet infotainment computer that I bought used on eBay for $375. It contained enough data to reconstruct the Upstate New York travels and relationships of a total stranger. We know he or she frequently called someone listed as “Sweetie,” whose photo we also have. We could see the exact Gulf station where they bought gas, the restaurant where they ate (called Taste China) and the unique identifiers for their Samsung Galaxy Note phones.
    The vehicle also collected information on “acceleration and braking style, beaming back reports to its maker General Motors over an always-on Internet connection,” The Post added. “Coming next: face data, used to personalize the vehicle and track driver attention.”

The Post reported that 20 automakers pledged in 2014 to voluntarily adhere to privacy standards that protected consumers privacy by protecting their data — although none of the 20 automakers followed through on their promises.

No big surprise, EVERYTHING tracks you and nothing is really private any more.

Comment

What they don't tell you is that car has Android Auto and Car Play capability and he physically removed the hard drive that just cached a lot of data from the previous phones. You opt in to let it access your contacts, location data and messages. If you use any kind of navigation service it's going to have GPS coordinates, if you use a contact manager it's going to have that information and if you send or receive multimedia messages it's going to have a copy of that data at some point.

If you want the ability to send and receive text messages and to have devices help you navigate and call people those devices need access to the info to do it. A forensic scientist can pretty easily pull that data but as was noted he also damaged the code in doing so. It's not like he pulled up behind the car in a drive through and downloaded everything through an open wifi network or anything. You're gonna know if someone "hacked" into the infotainment system on your car.

I'm not going to say there haven't been exploits though. Many cars can have software updates done remotely. If you have enough skills, resources and time I'm sure someone can probably figure out where I spend 3-4 nights a week by hacking into my car but it'd be a whole lot easier to get into my google account for the same info.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
        No big surprise, EVERYTHING tracks you and nothing is really private any more.
        Agreed!

I dont even worry about it anymore, I mean I dont go flaunting it, but I dont hide lic plates and crap like that. Privacy is gone.

Comment

this will get interesting when warranty claims get denied because they pulled data and find the car at the track

Comment

Working...
          X