Lightning Owners, please chime in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Owners, please chime in.

OK, I have been saving for a AMG CL65 but come to the conclusion that is stupid. I cant afford the maintenance such a car needs even if I manage to save up $30,000 which will take a couple years.

Problem is I also need a truck to haul the occasional motor or large car parts but am not too keen on paying insurance on two vehicles since one would hardly be driven and would need very expensive insurance.
    I have this need for excessive power though, prolly cause I am short and fat. LOL I love the Lightnings and figured it would allow me to have a semi fast vehicle that I can still use for my shop vehicle. I can get a deceint chunk from selling my Silverado that only gets 15mpg so it wont be too much out of pocket to buy the Ford.

I would want to add a 6lb lower and maybe a 2.90 upper, plenum with single bore throttle body, Borlas, JLP CAI, better fuel pump and a tune. Also do the Hotchkis suspension with sway bars, new springs and Bilstien shocks.
    I would also have to get a tool box for it but I am sure I can find one that would sit below the bed lip. I do have to carry a full tool kit, fuel and water cans, jumper cables, scanner and a few other necessities of my job.

My questions are, can they handle 1000lbs in the bed lowered an inch or even at stock heights? What kind of mileage are you all getting? What are the problem areas you have seen or delt with? What should I look out for when shopping for one?

I have my heart set on DSG or blue that appears to be Sonic Blue. Seems like 10k can get me one with under 100k on it.
    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

1. Factory bed weight max load is I believe 800lbs, once you upgrade to the hotchkis tvs kit, it's only 2 leaf springs as opposed to several. So you essentially reduce your bed weight capacity. It's not recommended you even tow with your tvs kit, your could break a leaf spring. ( I speak from experience)

2. You won't get any better fuel economy than you get already from your Chevy. 13-15mpg is in your near future on the highway with a L. Once in boost, open your wallet up, twin fuel pumps love to flow plenty of fuel!

3. Don't get a toolbox for the bed, don't do the L like that. ( unless you've got a tonneau)

4. If you get a truck with under 100k for 10k I'd definatley be cautious, I know with my higher mileage, if I received an offer for 10k I'd tell you kindly to piss off. These motors are great, they have their faults which I will point out next, but if maintained properly, will last you plenty.

So on to the common things to be weary of....

First and foremost, consider getting an L from 03-04, since these trucks had " the fix" which is 8 threads inthe spark plug hole, as opposed to 99-02 which have only 4....which under high loads/boost, might shoot the plug straight out!

Next is intercooler pump, make sure that sob is flowing plenty of coolant through the intercooler resivior , water should be gushing through it, not a steady light flow. It runs around $100, and is an easy fix, but if its not running right in the Texas heat, it can cause iat's to run high and the ecu will pull timing, if the pump fails, you might run lean, burn a few plugs, Ect.. Ect...(had this happen) also, check what color the fluid is...no green antifreeze should be here...only ford gold or the red stuff. This is a good indication, pump has been replaced, or something has gone wrong before.

Driver side seat bolsters are notorious for wearing out quickly. Poor design, and when sliding in and out, your fatass will wear away the suede quickly and seat cover replacements are 600+

Major recall/tsb for cruise control, if not replaced, it could short, get hot,and go up in flames.
    Major tsb for intercooler leaking 9 row/ to 10 row fix. See below.

There were minor appearance changes from 99-00, slightly major changes from 01-02, and final run from 03-04.

99-00 / 3.55s, 80mm mass, crappy fogs, headlights,third brake light, upper and lower grille, intercooler had 9 rows and had leaking issues under the blower.

01-02 /3.73s, 90mm mass, nice fogs, nice headlights, led 3rd brake light, nice upper and lower grille, intercooler 10 rows, recall added, new style blower(SVT not eaton) (True blue only introduced in 02)

03-04/ dsg and sonic blue introduced,8 thread heads, higher bed weight capacity( but the truck looks like an actual truck lol)

Vacuum leaks are notorious, there is one special little guy that sits below the back of the blower, on bottom of the intercooler, if you get boost leaks, start there! Always ask when the last plug change was, they can sometimes be a pain( the back 2 because of the blower) and number 7 I think, it sits right under the fpr and the coil pack screw can sometimes be a pain lol.

All in all the weak link in most motor failures, are the rods, cold weather =more boost, and if cruising in OD and you stomp on it and it downshifts to 2nd or even 1st... The rods can't handle it and then you have the nice modded "vented" block...you will throw a rod. It's nice having the 4r100 trans in this truck...plenty of good luck with them in this light truck.

If you need some advise on any of the trucks you're looking at, let me know, I don't mind helping out.

I hope this isn't too long and you get something good from it.
    Last edited by 01lightning; 05-25-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

I had one a few months back the suck gas like no other. And they blow up easy!

Comment

Owned one for bout three years. It is not a work truck. I loved the Hell out of it and should've kept it but wife needed a new car.

Bed weight round 800 max. Tow cap is round 5k. Cost 80 and up to fill up. The best I got on mileage was 13 mpg and that's all highway. I drove 40 miles a day and was costing me $500 plus a month in premium fuel.

You're better off keeping you truck and buying a fun car for the weekend.

As far as reliable. I beat it pretty good and all I had a problem with as keeping tires on it.
        Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by 01lightning View Post
          1. Factory bed weight max load is I believe 800lbs, once you upgrade to the hotchkis tvs kit, it's only 2 leaf springs as opposed to several. So you essentially reduce your bed weight capacity. It's not recommended you even tow with your tvs kit, your could break a leaf spring. ( I speak from experience)

2. You won't get any better fuel economy than you get already from your Chevy. 13-15mpg is in your near future on the highway with a L. Once in boost, open your wallet up, twin fuel pumps love to flow plenty of fuel!

3. Don't get a toolbox for the bed, don't do the L like that. ( unless you've got a tonneau)

4. If you get a truck with under 100k for 10k I'd definatley be cautious, I know with my higher mileage, if I received an offer for 10k I'd tell you kindly to piss off. These motors are great, they have their faults which I will point out next, but if maintained properly, will last you plenty.

So on to the common things to be weary of....

First and foremost, consider getting an L from 03-04, since these trucks had " the fix" which is 8 threads inthe spark plug hole, as opposed to 99-02 which have only 4....which under high loads/boost, might shoot the plug straight out!

Next is intercooler pump, make sure that sob is flowing plenty of coolant through the intercooler resivior , water should be gushing through it, not a steady light flow. It runs around $100, and is an easy fix, but if its not running right in the Texas heat, it can cause iat's to run high and the ecu will pull timing, if the pump fails, you might run lean, burn a few plugs, Ect.. Ect...(had this happen) also, check what color the fluid is...no green antifreeze should be here...only ford gold or the red stuff. This is a good indication, pump has been replaced, or something has gone wrong before.

Driver side seat bolsters are notorious for wearing out quickly. Poor design, and when sliding in and out, your fatass will wear away the suede quickly and seat cover replacements are 600+

Major recall/tsb for cruise control, if not replaced, it could short, get hot,and go up in flames.
          Major tsb for intercooler leaking 9 row/ to 10 row fix. See below.

There were minor appearance changes from 99-00, slightly major changes from 01-02, and final run from 03-04.

99-00 / 3.55s, 80mm mass, crappy fogs, headlights,third brake light, upper and lower grille, intercooler had 9 rows and had leaking issues under the blower.

01-02 /3.73s, 90mm mass, nice fogs, nice headlights, led 3rd brake light, nice upper and lower grille, intercooler 10 rows, recall added, new style blower(SVT not eaton) (True blue only introduced in 02)

03-04/ dsg and sonic blue introduced,8 thread heads, higher bed weight capacity( but the truck looks like an actual truck lol)

Vacuum leaks are notorious, there is one special little guy that sits below the back of the blower, on bottom of the intercooler, if you get boost leaks, start there! Always ask when the last plug change was, they can sometimes be a pain( the back 2 because of the blower) and number 7 I think, it sits right under the fpr and the coil pack screw can sometimes be a pain lol.

All in all the weak link in most motor failures, are the rods, cold weather =more boost, and if cruising in OD and you stomp on it and it downshifts to 2nd or even 1st... The rods can't handle it and then you have the nice modded "vented" block...you will throw a rod. It's nice having the 4r100 trans in this truck...plenty of good luck with them in this light truck.

If you need some advise on any of the trucks you're looking at, let me know, I don't mind helping out.

I hope this isn't too long and you get something good from it.
          Lots of good advice, thank you. And yes I want an 03/04 simply for the heads. It will be my toy and work truck so the tool box and at least 700lbs bed capacity is a must so I guess that eliminates the Hotchkins springs and just do a shackle swap in the rear.
          Having a few Cobras I am familiar with the coolant needed for them but didn't think to check on that, I will be sure to look when I start actual shopping for a truck.
          I forgot to mention I would also be installing a larger AFCO heat exchanger most likely with the dual fans and also add a larger tank that allows me to throw ICE in there for drag strip days.

I also plan on a Velcro style bed cover so I have easy access to the tool box. I would prefer a hard cover but that causes issues for when I haul a motor back there.
          I figured a low profile box in the bed covered in spray on bedliner with the inside of the bed done as well would blend well and look ok should I decide not to do the bed cover.

I do HATE Lightning tail lights so would replace them with a black background semi-smoked tail light.

The truck will be stock for a while and just get a part here and there until I have most of the boltons in place. Knowing me and my ADD ..... SQUIRRELL!!! .... I will eventually get bored with that and then yank the motor for some forged goodness and a 3.4 but that's a few years down the road.

I had a lightning years ago but only did a borla exhaust and K&N intake on it. Truck was a blast and I always figured I would buy another.
          This one I would want a solid 450 rwhp so I figure with upgraded cooling and the pulley change that should be obtainable as long as I have Andy at Prime-Time do the tuning.

Now in my "Lets see what they go for" searching I see 120k-140k ones in good shape going for 8000-12000 bucks. I have seen several one owner box stock 78-95k mile 03/04 trucks for 10-15k and have seen real low mile ones going for 15-18k. I figured if I am patient I can find one for 10-12 in the color I want that's not in bad shape.

There is an 03 DSG with 88k on it, Borla exhaust, JLP intake, Diablo tuner (would toss and buy an SCT) and a pulley and idler for $13000 right now. Bet the dude would take 12 for it but this is something I cant really afford until the end of the year.
          Big thing is I have to see if the several people that have offered me $5000 for my truck are serious or just full of it. $5000 is way over book but they know and have seen what is done to the truck and know its pretty much brand new.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
            Owned one for bout three years. It is not a work truck. I loved the Hell out of it and should've kept it but wife needed a new car.

Bed weight round 800 max. Tow cap is round 5k. Cost 80 and up to fill up. The best I got on mileage was 13 mpg and that's all highway. I drove 40 miles a day and was costing me $500 plus a month in premium fuel.

You're better off keeping you truck and buying a fun car for the weekend.

As far as reliable. I beat it pretty good and all I had a problem with as keeping tires on it.
            I work so much and drive so much that the toy wouldn't be enjoyed. Then I would have the extra cost of insurance for two vehicles, plus reg and safety and maintenance etc etc. The L would allow me to have my cake and eat it too. Yeah its not a great work truck but its still a truck and I can throw crap in the bed. I don't ever tow anything over 5000lbs and really that's the limit of my Silverados towing capacity I think.
            I would miss the space in my king cab cause I always throw stuff back there but its worth it because the seats are SOOOOOOO much more comfortable in the L.
            I drive about 2400 miles a month and my Silverado kills my back on a round trip drive to Dallas. When I used my friends Lightning a few months back for the trip my back felt great and I wasn't fatigued on the drive back. That's what planted the seed in my head.

Just look at that sexiness!

Comment

If you're patient you will find a good deal. I got mine for 14k. That was years ago. It had 80k miles on it and put down 350hp and 420tq with a maggi catback and k&n.
              Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

I loved ur and if it would fit my needs I'd get another one. Good luck. They are fun.

Comment

I have owned 3 of them. As stated by everyone else get a 03-04. I have hauled a lot more than 800 lbs in mine.
                  07 GT500
                  05 SRT10
                  88 turbocoupe T-bird
                  93 Cobra
                  86 coupe
                  Ducati 848

Comment

They are way over priced now days if you dont want one with tons miles. Get a new rcsb 5.0 f150, they are $20kish new and have a superior powertrain. Bolts + tune = 12 sec truck.

And they get 20+ mpg hwy.
                    Last edited by A_A_G; 05-26-2013, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I'm glad you realized owning a 65 isn't the best idea.

Just a thought but wouldn't adding one of those airbag load leveling kits help with hauling more weight in the bed? It would take a lost on pressure off the leaf springs when the bed is loaded.
                      Originally posted by Marisa
                      we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Work truck shouldn't be a play truck.

Because when it breaks(and it will) you will be fucked for work
                        07 f250-family truckster
                        08 Denali -baby hauler
                        52 f1-rust bucket
                        05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                        livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Get an 02 Harley F-150, DSG. We had one and I hauled all sorts of shit in it, and 4 people fit comfortably. I had the back end filed with dirt (loaded by a front end loader just dumping it in), rocks, cement. Had an E-fan, 6 lb. lower and made 400/500. Same basic truck as a lightning, just bigger!

Sexiness, LOL.

Last edited by yellowstang; 05-26-2013, 08:00 AM.

Comment

consider getting an L from 1993-95

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                              consider getting an L from 1993-95
                              This!

Comment

Working...
                              X