raspberry pi question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raspberry pi question

This may be an odd question or not realistic but I'll ask anyways... I have a hot tub that is old and virtually useless as is due to the motherboard and temp control being fried. The actual burner and other components work fine though. I was planning to chunk it and buy a new heater but would be looking at around $2,500 for that. Which leads me to this...

I read where people have been using their Raspberry Pi's along with Arduino to control their old hot tubs that were no longer working. Most of the projects I've found were stand alone style hot tubs, mine is attached to my pool. Essentially, all I want the Raspberry Pi to do is relay the burner to turn on and off based on settings I establish (water pressure, temp, day, etc...)

I know this is a very broad question and I'm not getting into the programming aspect yet, I want to make sure this is doable before I start pouring a lot of time into it and was hoping someone here might have a better idea if it would even be possible. TIA!

Yes. Very doable. A few Arduino probably all you need and some basic sensors. Arduino would be better for this imo

I can help you if you get stuck.

Comment

Sweet I'm going to look into it a little better. Looks like I've found a website where a guy did this same idea so I'm going to read into how he did it some more. Thanks.

Comment

Link the website.

Comment

I've gotta look around a little more but this is what i found. Theres another one where some guys hard wired a tub the same way I'm wanting to but a lot of the comments said it wasn't very safe the way the did it.

Hot Tub Controller Circuit Board The original version of my hot tub controller starting having some problems which ended up being caused...

looks like this guy responds to peoples comments too. I would need it a lot more detailed than what he has for me to be able to do something similar. The other difference is he was wiring a stand alone tub that had jets and everything. Only thing I want to wire is the burner. Would only need it to turn on when certain conditions are met like water temp and that there is enough water flow. I think that can be taken care of through the way it is currently wired anyways because it doesn't get power unless the pump is running.

Comment

You can use a raspberry pi if you want, but honestly something like this is so basic, I would rather use Arduino's simply because you have bootup time and slower reaction and response times with a pi. Ardunio's would have very small code base and if you lose power to it you dont have to worry about doing an fsck and other random shit that you have to deal with from running a full fledged operating system to run some relays for a hottub. Its just overkill.

If you want to set it an forget it, arduino's make more sense. But thats just me.

Comment

I wouldn't mind either way. I'm going to look not tonight into arduino. A quick search pills up a few people that have done similar as well.

Comment

status

Comment

Sorry I thought I sent you a msg. As I started breaking down everything I came across some rusted burners. With those and the other stuff that would be needed I think it'll be better to just go with a new unit at this point.

Still want to look into this as a complete controller for all of the pool equipment though.

Comment

I probably forgot you sent that. Damn

Comment

Working...
                    X