Job\Unemployment related Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job\Unemployment related Question

I've googled this and nothing has really stood out so I'm rolling the dice here...

It's possible that my company is going to want to move me into another position\job that I'm really not that interested in (completely different department) because "needs of the company".

I know that in Texas you can pretty much be let go any time for any reason.

However, If I decline the transfer and get cut would I still be able to get unemployment?

It depends on how the company proceeds. If you willfully forego employment of your own accord, you aren't eligible for unemployment. If you are asked but don't take a new position, ask the company if they can position the departure as a lay off. If you get laid off, you should be able to get unemployment pretty quick.
    01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Just as a heads up, it's in an employers best interest to not lay you off in many cases. Layoffs increase their general tax rate for unemployment insurance so in doing so it will cost them more money.

If layoffs are already going on they probably wont have a major issue with it and anticipated the cost.

Best of luck regardless and I'm sorry to hear. Layoffs and huge commission cuts have been popping up more lately around me...hopefully it's just a blip in the Radar and nothing on a large scale.

I know that doesnt answer your question fully, but it provides the background if why employers don't like to lay people off. This is why drug tests seem to come at a higher frequency when layoffs are on the horizon (so employers can fire for cause).

Comment

Sales have been way off lately so the axe on the horizon is pretty apparent to all who are paying attention.

No sales, no deployments of systems to manage...

My boss and I are pretty good friends so I think he is trying to keep me on but the position isn't really in my wheel house and will take more hours a week\overtime for the same crap pay.

So unless they back the money truck up (which I've been underpaid in my position for years now) I'm really not that interested.

Most likely I'll stay around just long enough to safely hit the eject button to somewhere else....

It's sad, because office politics have played a big role in the down turn and the decisions made.

I absolutely hate that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post

It's sad, because office politics have played a big role in the down turn and the decisions made.

They always do, man. I am at my new company (been here a year now) after I got passed for promotion and another manager told me “...dude. You’re the reason (manager) made bonus the last 4 months. You really think they’re going to let you leave the department?” I asked if he was serious and he said yeah, the force is strong and the force blocks transfers.

That little convo led me to asking around and leaving my old job and giving myself a 20% raise and a lot more freedom. It might end up being a blessing. Best of luck.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

good luck man, I loose my job on the 19th, so I know how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
              Sales have been way off lately so the axe on the horizon is pretty apparent to all who are paying attention.

No sales, no deployments of systems to manage...

My boss and I are pretty good friends so I think he is trying to keep me on but the position isn't really in my wheel house and will take more hours a week\overtime for the same crap pay.

So unless they back the money truck up (which I've been underpaid in my position for years now) I'm really not that interested.

Most likely I'll stay around just long enough to safely hit the eject button to somewhere else....

This is very similar to what has happened to a few folk I know. Either it's a bad business decision, an acquisition or organizational restructuring...

Literally just 5 minutes ago one of our neighbors told us they are moving to florida because they lost their job.

I sure as shit hope this isnt a sign of things to come. Best of luck with the search for the new gig!

Comment

I am in the same boat. I am about to be moved to a another job I don't want to do and have no interest in.

Plus I have been passed over for promotion twice now.

If I wasn't so close to retirement I would bale.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Comment

If they offer you a position with substantially less salary you can actually get unemployment benefits to offset the difference. However if you decide to quit later you'll get cut off from benefits.

$465 a week is tough to live on but it's better than zero.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                    If they offer you a position with substantially less salary you can actually get unemployment benefits to offset the difference. However if you decide to quit later you'll get cut off from benefits.

$465 a week is tough to live on but it's better than zero.
                    That's interesting that you can claim unemployment to supplement if you've been demoted and salary decreased.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      That's interesting that you can claim unemployment to supplement if you've been demoted and salary decreased.
                      It has to be be a pretty damn low pay to be worth it. If you exceed 25% of your unemployment benefits in texas they reduce your benefit.

I know of some hourly workers that did this in oil and gas and I also believe that it counted against their total 26 week allowance. You will certainly want to verify all of the drawbacks of doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                        June last year my employer decided we weren't making enough money to have two full time people so she cut my hours to 24-26 hours, well below part time status. I was technically salaried but she still did payroll with an hourly rate, there were no contracts.

So the way their math works is they'll make up the difference up to 125% of what your regular benefit would be. If you were making $800 a week and your salary was cut in half you'd get $181.25 in weekly unemployment benefits. $465x1.25=$581.25. So if you make more than $581.25 in a week you get nothing, if you make $181.25 you'll get $465.

However if you do decide it's not worth putting up with your employer and quit your case is closed and you have to refile. Since you quit, even though you had a good reason and was already approved for said reason you'll still get denied. So don't quit, don't violate company policies and work as little as you possibly can.

Again you can't really live on unemployment but it's nice to have if you really need it.

Comment

Working...
                        X