frustration level plad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustration level plad

So after all the BS with my car my back and neck and all the other BS with my now incarcerated former side business partner, life has been kind of stressful. but right as it starts to even out, yesterday I hear that the place that I work might be sold at the beginning of the month. This not only means I may or may not have a job next month, but also the $3k bonus I should be getting early next month would be up in smoke. I'm super stressed right. It sucks not knowing, and after working my ass off last quarter to get that bonus, knowing that it might be lost due to no fault of my own has damn near broken my spirit. This past year has just been one giant kick in the balls. I'm not sure what happens next, but I guess I need to prepare for anything. If your the preying type please say one for us poor unfortunate cattle going on the auction block.

Prayers brother... good luck

I learned a long time ago that as long as you work for someone else you are just a number.

Plan on that and you will never be surprised. Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
      Prayers brother... good luck

I learned a long time ago that as long as you work for someone else you are just a number.

Plan on that and you will never be surprised. Sad but true.

I've spent most of my life in retail to some degree, and this was VERY apparent there. When I went to work for my current company, I got a feeling to the contrary, that we all mattered. Unfortunately, the company is now owned by the employees, and well. This statement is 100% correct.

OP: It will all work out! Keep your head up! Has the issues with your partner caused you from growing that business?
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        I've spent most of my life in retail to some degree, and this was VERY apparent there. When I went to work for my current company, I got a feeling to the contrary, that we all mattered. Unfortunately, the company is now owned by the employees, and well. This statement is 100% correct.

OP: It will all work out! Keep your head up! Has the issues with your partner caused you from growing that business?
        My former business partners indiscretions led me to have to wipe the last year and a half of content off youtube. also he was my web guy, right after he got picked up by home land the website broke. site is back up now but my ssl expired and I'm having a hell of a time trying to get it back up. I'm not a web guy.

as for work, we have a site wide meeting tomorrow morning at 8:30. I'm packing up my personal affects tonight just to be safe.

Comment

Even if you work for yourself...someone else is paying you...the person paying you is your boss and to them you're still just another contractor/consultant/service provider.

Until you're retired or independently wealthy...its gonna suck at times.

Best of luck 4bangen...I really hope this shit turns around for you. My wife and I generally call years that we expect to be tough "building years" and just finish off as strong as we can. It seems like we go through 3 year cycles

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            Even if you work for yourself...someone else is paying you...the person paying you is your boss and to them you're still just another contractor/consultant/service provider.

Until you're retired or independently wealthy...its gonna suck at times.

Best of luck 4bangen...I really hope this shit turns around for you. My wife and I generally call years that we expect to be tough "building years" and just finish off as strong as we can. It seems like we go through 3 year cycles

The trick is having several hundred someone's paying you. Even if one of them gets butthurt and fires you it doesn't really affect you much.
            Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Steal something
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Update your resume, but don't sweat it until it happens. If you're on the sales side you're golden, client relationships can't be bought to some degree. If you're in a role that'll likely be duplicated, then go ahead and get it up on LinkedIn, and see what's available.

The company I worked for before this latest move was bought a couple years ago, and the good ones were kept, duplicates all landed gig at a competitor shortly thereafter. It may get uncomfortable, as the interview process sometime can be, but it's not a death sentence.

Even if you end up keeping your job it doesn't hurt to see what's out there, a job change isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not "easy."

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                  Update your resume, but don't sweat it until it happens. If you're on the sales side you're golden, client relationships can't be bought to some degree. If you're in a role that'll likely be duplicated, then go ahead and get it up on LinkedIn, and see what's available.

The company I worked for before this latest move was bought a couple years ago, and the good ones were kept, duplicates all landed gig at a competitor shortly thereafter. It may get uncomfortable, as the interview process sometime can be, but it's not a death sentence.

Even if you end up keeping your job it doesn't hurt to see what's out there, a job change isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not "easy."
                  Ironically, I have been thinking of getting my resume polished by one of the resume services, and I came in today to have a "stay interview" at work. I have been skipped over on them for the last couple of years because my boss is too lazy to do them, so it will be interesting for sure. I am doing it with a manger from another region.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I think that's great for two reasons, first being interview practice, and it also forces you to articulate your worth to someone else, which can bolster confidence.

I had to do a version of one only 3 months in at Microsoft. At first my mind was blank, thinking I hadn't really done anything yet, and when I talked through it with my manager, turns out I wasn't sitting on my thumbs every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      Ironically, I have been thinking of getting my resume polished by one of the resume services, and I came in today to have a "stay interview" at work. I have been skipped over on them for the last couple of years because my boss is too lazy to do them, so it will be interesting for sure. I am doing it with a manger from another region.
                      Every resume you submit should be tailored to the specific job posting so those services are only so useful. With modern application algorithms you have to make sure you're a sufficient enough keyword match before it even gets close to a hiring manager. That's the most frustrating part for people that apply everywhere but never hear back. 1 resume will never work for all job postings.

Also...cool perspective Aaron. As an engineering manager... i never really get exposed to sales reps. But I certainly value a GOOD salesman very much and it makes sense that you cant buy that client relationship. Ita hard for me to even describe what makes me think a salesperson is good.

Comment

Every resume you submit should be tailored to the specific job posting so those services are only so useful. With modern application algorithms you have to make sure you're a sufficient enough keyword match before it even gets close to a hiring manager. That's the most frustrating part for people that apply everywhere but never hear back. 1 resume will never work for all job postings.

Also...cool perspective Aaron. As an engineering manager... i never really get exposed to sales reps. But I certainly value a GOOD salesman very much and it makes sense that you cant buy that client relationship. Ita hard for me to even describe what makes me think a salesperson is good.
                        I agree, and have several versions that I have sent out.

Honestly, job searching is something that I despise. I was asked to come here, 12 years ago. It's really not a bad gig, but the industry is changing and Im not sure how long I want to deal with it. I also dont like sales, but I am good at what I do, so in turn the money is good.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          If you want some free "that's fucked up, fix it" type advice PM me. Over the years I've redone mine many times, looked at quite a few for potential hires, and I have some resume tip/training docs from some big firms I can send over.

Every resume you submit should be tailored to the specific job posting so those services are only so useful.
                          True, it has to be tailored to the individual role, but there are people out there who can't even format a resume well. They don't understand the "dont tell them what you did, tell them how you can benefit them" mentality, that numbers matter more than fluffy words, or they write full paragraphs and have 3 pages for 2 years of work history...

As an engineering manager... i never really get exposed to sales reps.
                          That's a shame. I've been an engineer, engineering manager, technical sales manager, sales director, and now back on the technical side as our SME. I don't know what type of product you're moving, but I can tell you that in my experience a sales person who has had some time with his engineers / designers will be much better equipped than someone who just "builds relationships" and pays for rounds of golf, even if its just a quarterly half day thing. When our distributors let me have one day with their sales staff to train them on just the high level stuff, how to differentiate products, how to sell value, etc they always have a noticeable improvement.
                          Last edited by Strychnine; 07-25-2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                            I'm super stressed right. It sucks not knowing, and after working my ass off last quarter to get that bonus, knowing that it might be lost due to no fault of my own has damn near broken my spirit. This past year has just been one giant kick in the balls. I'm not sure what happens next, but I guess I need to prepare for anything. If your the preying type please say one for us poor unfortunate cattle going on the auction block.
                            Head up, dude. Shit works out in the end, and I think most people agree that it tends to be for the better. You're just in the middle of it right now so it probably seems immensely worse. When I was in my last 8 weeks of grad school I straight up walked into a VP's office and told him I was quitting - and I had nowhere to go, no plan, nothing. Murdered some savings, shit sucked for a bit, but in hindsight, it was a fucking great decision and freed me up to to some awesome stuff.

If you're up for it, why not post what you do and your experience, or even a copy of your resume, and see if there are some people here who could get you in touch with someone.

Comment

My motto.

Last edited by inline 6; 07-25-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X