I put go pros on my feeders and got some cool action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put go pros on my feeders and got some cool action

I put go pros on my feeders and caught pigs running deer off, throwing each other, and biting each other! Check it out!

nasty ass pigs. Time for a remote control pew pew.

Comment

Now imagine this for a hunting video:

0-10 seconds: night time pics of hese pigs running wild...then flashing to a clip from a digital scope of a pig in your crosshairs.

10-30s : talking head introduction of you behind a pig you shot.

30s to 1:30s : go over the preparations for the hunt. This may be the gear you used, the game camera footage review, ammo selection, gun selection with some target practice b-roll and what you hope to happen. ***10 to 15 seconds MAX per shot...even if it's just a camera angle change. LakeForkGuy does this well and so does mark rober.

1:30 to 3:00: this is actual hunt footage. Hunting is 90% dead time or more so you have to work hard to make it interesting. Film your close shots, misses and frustration with sitting on your ass for nothing. You may have to intentionally miss to get some of this if you're just going to be 20 yards away shooting pigs in a barrel.

3:00 to 3:20: this is the kill shot. Recorded from game cameras and through a digital scope

3:20 to 4:30: the harvest. Record the process of getting the pig, processing it and what happens afterwards

4:30 to 5:30: eat that bad boy. Talk about recipes, sausage, etc.

5:30 to 6:00: thank you and closing.

TIPS:

-no more crappy audio and do some actual voice over. Get a cheap wind proof lapel mic and use your cellphone as an audio recorder.

-try not to keep any camera angle too long. 30s is an eternity on youtube.

-youtube is picky about gun videos so you're already going to be at a disadvantage.

Being good at this stuff takes a lot of work and planning. You're better off focusing on a really good video every 2 weeks or so than throwing crap at the wall daily and hoping it sticks

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Now imagine this for a hunting video:

0-10 seconds: night time pics of hese pigs running wild...then flashing to a clip from a digital scope of a pig in your crosshairs.

10-30s : talking head introduction of you behind a pig you shot.

30s to 1:30s : go over the preparations for the hunt. This may be the gear you used, the game camera footage review, ammo selection, gun selection with some target practice b-roll and what you hope to happen. ***10 to 15 seconds MAX per shot...even if it's just a camera angle change. LakeForkGuy does this well and so does mark rober.

1:30 to 3:00: this is actual hunt footage. Hunting is 90% dead time or more so you have to work hard to make it interesting. Film your close shots, misses and frustration with sitting on your ass for nothing. You may have to intentionally miss to get some of this if you're just going to be 20 yards away shooting pigs in a barrel.

3:00 to 3:20: this is the kill shot. Recorded from game cameras and through a digital scope

3:20 to 4:30: the harvest. Record the process of getting the pig, processing it and what happens afterwards

4:30 to 5:30: eat that bad boy. Talk about recipes, sausage, etc.

5:30 to 6:00: thank you and closing.

TIPS:

-no more crappy audio and do some actual voice over. Get a cheap wind proof lapel mic and use your cellphone as an audio recorder.

-try not to keep any camera angle too long. 30s is an eternity on youtube.

-youtube is picky about gun videos so you're already going to be at a disadvantage.

Being good at this stuff takes a lot of work and planning. You're better off focusing on a really good video every 2 weeks or so than throwing crap at the wall daily and hoping it sticks
        Thanks for the tips Ruff. We mainly do archery hunts but will allow shotguns. I need to find a high powered IR light for the camera inside the stand. At 20 yards the 2000 lumen lights just aren't bright enough for the camera in the stand to pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
          Thanks for the tips Ruff. We mainly do archery hunts but will allow shotguns. I need to find a high powered IR light for the camera inside the stand. At 20 yards the 2000 lumen lights just aren't bright enough for the camera in the stand to pick up.
          What wavelength are those lights and are they just super broad floodlights?

I have what is considered to be a crappy 850nm illuminator for my day/night scope and itll still go out to maybe 100 yards pretty easy at high power.

Or are you using a non "night vision" camera?

Comment

Not sure if Ruffdaddy is a hunter or not, but he's on to a decent plan. You should go check out Steven Rinella's stuff. Seaso's 1-6 (maybe 7?) of his show Meat Eater are on Netflix, and he's built a brand called Meat Eater TV that brings in other hunters (bow & rifle), wild game chefs, anglers, historians, preservationists, etc. There's also a Meat Eater podcast, which is badass.

You need each video to craft a story. Think about the big point you want to make. This video is a clip that should be in a bigger story.

Nearly every story people are attracted to follows the archetypal hero's journey (go look into Joepsh Campbell for more background). Summary: Guy is living a normal life, doing what he wants to do. Guy has some hardship or challenge that gets in his way. Possibly a partner or mentor to help guide him. There are some skirmishes along the way. Guy is overcome and overwhelmed but decides to fight through. Guy overcomes said hardship, wins the battle, comes homes transformed and celebrates. Pick any random action movie you like, and you'll see the same high level plot. Goes all the way back to Gilgamesh.

You're a casual guy who setup his feeder for deer - worked hard for it, planned well, expecting greatness. Pigs come in and ruin shit. you try to run them off but can't (insert dramatic plot point here)... you craft a plan to kill your nemesis. There's a battle. You win and celebrate with a pork shank on the smoker and a beer in your hand. Seriously, go watch some episodes of Meat Eater and watch for the journey. Once you see it in one place, you'll see it everywhere.

And for fuck's sake, red font, outlined in green with a white shadow just ain't doin' you any favors.
            Last edited by Strychnine; 08-06-2019, 01:41 AM.

Comment

I used to hunt...havent in years.

I like your version better...the idea that you're having to get rid of the pigs because that's what 90% of pig hunting is (pest control). I'm not sure that all the videos have to be interconnected, but he certainly should paint the picture of the whole impact hogs have on an environment

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                What wavelength are those lights and are they just super broad floodlights?

I have what is considered to be a crappy 850nm illuminator for my day/night scope and itll still go out to maybe 100 yards pretty easy at high power.

Or are you using a non "night vision" camera?
                Yes it's motion sensored flood lights that have 3 light panels and each panel can be moved at a different angle.
                Yes it's a non night vision camera. Now I do have a night owl night vision monacle that I could try to rig it up in front of the camera lense.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                  Not sure if Ruffdaddy is a hunter or not, but he's on to a decent plan. You should go check out Steven Rinella's stuff. Seaso's 1-6 (maybe 7?) of his show Meat Eater are on Netflix, and he's built a brand called Meat Eater TV that brings in other hunters (bow & rifle), wild game chefs, anglers, historians, preservationists, etc. There's also a Meat Eater podcast, which is badass.

You need each video to craft a story. Think about the big point you want to make. This video is a clip that should be in a bigger story.

Nearly every story people are attracted to follows the archetypal hero's journey (go look into Joepsh Campbell for more background). Summary: Guy is living a normal life, doing what he wants to do. Guy has some hardship or challenge that gets in his way. Possibly a partner or mentor to help guide him. There are some skirmishes along the way. Guy is overcome and overwhelmed but decides to fight through. Guy overcomes said hardship, wins the battle, comes homes transformed and celebrates. Pick any random action movie you like, and you'll see the same high level plot. Goes all the way back to Gilgamesh.

You're a casual guy who setup his feeder for deer - worked hard for it, planned well, expecting greatness. Pigs come in and ruin shit. you try to run them off but can't (insert dramatic plot point here)... you craft a plan to kill your nemesis. There's a battle. You win and celebrate with a pork shank on the smoker and a beer in your hand. Seriously, go watch some episodes of Meat Eater and watch for the journey. Once you see it in one place, you'll see it everywhere.

And for fuck's sake, red font, outlined in green with a white shadow just ain't doin' you any favors.
                  I like watching Steve on meat eaters. The different color fonts on the thumbnails grab peoples attention.

Comment

The tag.......hilarious and genius.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDumbRedneck View Post
                      The tag.......hilarious and genius.
                      Haha...that's pretty harsh.

Hopefully he starts incorporating the feedback people have been giving him so we can see some decent clips. But if hes just going to keep slapping the equivalent of a family vacation video up here maybe it's good advice.

It takes a lot of work to be good at this stuff and that requires a level of commitment most people dont have.

Comment

Working...
                      X