VW electric racer sets Pikes Peak's overall record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
    Nah. Unlike a Tesla, you can’t hold your nose in the air at peasants with a Vdub (you’ll inhale all the the nasty illegal diesel emissions).
    Watch the video, VW is working on some very viable all-electric options, including direct competition for the model 3, and a forward look electric bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
      Watch the video, VW is working on some very viable all-electric options, including direct competition for the model 3, and a forward look electric bus.
      Ford has also partnered with VW on this front...so there is clearly belief that they have a big competitive advantage here over many other companies.

Comment

But, it's a VW, so they'll still charge you $300 for an oil change.

Yes, I realize it's an electric motor.

Comment

Comment

Sadly, once some better advanced battery tech comes on line, these cars are gonna be hard to compete with using an ICE....

How many years away is that tech becomes the real question.

mardyn

Comment

Big deal, you're talkin about a race where the average overall speed is under 70 miles an hour.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

That mofo was moving!

And yes they are going to be hard to compete with an ICE car, but that seems the way we are moving and as better tech comes online it will be kick ass. Just like when the ICE vehicles started leaving steam and horse buggies behind except with way better tech now a 100 or so years later.

I'm excited, the Tesla's styling never really interested me, but the new MACH E looks bad ass and has Ford as a major mfg. so it looks more like a real car than a Tesla's, specifically in the design/looks part. And in the interior, the MACH E is waaaay ahead with build quality too, my S.I.L. has a white Model Y, it looks like an egg coming down the road and the build quality is very shoddy, he's had it back at the dealer for rattles and shit not working correctly. It is a little faster than my new 5.0, but my car is iconic imo, you see a Mustang coming down the street, you know its a Mustang or a sports car of some sort. The sound just can't be beat either, the Tesla is just to damn quiet. I'll give up a few tenths in the 1/4 mile at the moment to look, sound and have better build quality (stock to stock).
                I also don't have to worry about where to get power/fuel or plan my trip as you can get gas EVERYWHERE at the moment.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

The Wrangler 4xe is pretty awesome if you haven't seen it. 375hp plug in hybrid. It'll go 21 miles on a full charge but has a regular 2.0L turbo hybrid for real use. So you get a full sized Wrangler with all it's capability and if you never go more than 10 miles each way you'll never have to buy gas.

It is considerably more expensive than a regular Wrangler but it does come with the $7500 tax credit for now.

Comment

21 mile range? wtf?

Comment

The 21 mile electric range is a shell game by the manufactures to help qualify for the $7500 tax credit. You can probably get another $2500 from TX. if you fill out the right paperwork. Other states have more $$$ available and some less. That electric VW averaged about 90mph on the hill climb and that is probably one of the best motorsport applications for EV technology. Relatively short course with lots of turns/braking, all uphill, and the elevation change is a huge burden for a combustion engine. I'd be surprised if something other than an electric powered vehicle comes along to break that record.

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                        That electric VW averaged about 90mph on the hill climb and that is probably one of the best motorsport applications for EV technology. Relatively short course with lots of turns/braking, all uphill, and the elevation change is a huge burden for a combustion engine. I'd be surprised if something other than an electric powered vehicle comes along to break that record.
                        Formula One makes good use of it as well. It adds another dynamic to the racing strategy. You can go balls out for part of a lap and kill your batteries and deal with tons of turbo lag or drive a little more conservative and have some passing power in reserve.

They have the e-assisted turbochargers now that basically use the turbo as the alternator. The ECM can manage boost either direction, either by spinning the impeller faster in lag conditions or by slowing it and generating some power. 900 hp 1.6L six cylinders are cool but having a manageable power band at that level is even cooler.

Comment

Working...
                        X