No announcement yet.

New hunting rifle time..input wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using a 270 this year. I have shot a deer yet but it worked fine on a coyote at 50 yards today
    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I have the T/C Pro Hunter in 7-08 with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 on Talley One Piece bases.
      Shot a 10 point opening day at about 50-75 yards and literally fell where he was standing.

Comment

50 cal.
        sigpic

Comment

mosin nagant... super cheap to buy, super cheap ammo... and a blast to shoot.. accurate as hell...
          first class white trash

Comment

I hunt in the same area and switched from a .308 to a 6.8spc as my main gun. The 6.8 can knock down any dear and I am comfortable shooting a 300lb+ hog with it. Use it in a semi-auto just in case I run into an hogs or feel like taking nutria.

The .308 is a Marlin XS7 and between both guns I can put 5 shot groups in the same hole at 100 yards. I don't shoot much so it's mostly the guns.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
              mosin nagant... accurate as hell...
              nope.jpg
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                mosin nagant... super cheap to buy, super cheap ammo... and a blast to shoot.. accurate as hell...
                SP hunting ammo is a bit tough to find though, and it costs the same as the rest unless you get steel cased bear. It'll punish his wife's shoulder pretty good too.

Comment

Hunting calibers will never stop being debated. Personally for my own reasons I prefer in this order (for hunting, at 150ish yards)...

30-06

Understand I just hunt with 30-06 (deer). The other choices are either what I will use in the future or due to 1001 other reasons. I don't think anyone is going to argue .308 though. However, no real bad calibers mentioned here.

I second/third the Nikon Prostaff for 100-150 yard hunting. Used one for a couple of years and it's VERY nice. Especially since you can get them around 100 dollars.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

The thought process has actually changed and instead of a new rifle for me, this is turning into a hunting rifle for her. so that being said...

I think we are going to go with a .243 and see what kind of deal can find on a nikon prostaff....IS asking what manufacturer .243 like asking which is better ford versus chevy? or is there a sure shot winner?

Comment

^^^ Probably not a bad choice at all sir.
                      04 2.6 KB'd Cobra!

Originally posted by Sean88gt
                      There is something about her that just makes my dick completely take over any thought process. If Russell Brand were on top of her, I'd fuck him just to say I pushed a dick inside of her.

Comment

pardon my hunting newbness, but i've never hunted before and my friend has been trying to get me to go deer hunting with him. i might try next year so i can finally learn to respect the flesh on my plate.

he has a few rifles i can use but can i use an ar to hunt deer in tx? i figure a 223 should be fine.
                        www.hppmotorsports.com
                        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

If you want a .243 go to Walmart and get a Savage. They are cheaper that anywhere I have found. I have one that I keep as a ranch gun on the 4 wheeler and that this is accurate as hell out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                            I have the T/C Pro Hunter in 7-08 with a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 on Talley One Piece bases.
                            Shot a 10 point opening day at about 50-75 yards and literally fell where he was standing.
                            7mm-08 is the perfect deer cartridge in my book, used my improved version last week and dropped a nice 8 at a lil over 250.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                              7mm-08 is the perfect deer cartridge in my book
                              100000% agreed! I went from a .308 to the 7-08....

Originally posted by momo View Post
                              pardon my hunting newbness, but i've never hunted before and my friend has been trying to get me to go deer hunting with him. i might try next year so i can finally learn to respect the flesh on my plate.

he has a few rifles i can use but can i use an ar to hunt deer in tx? i figure a 223 should be fine.
                              If you have never hunted before I would not use a .223.

Comment

And for the OP I would look at the T/C Encores. You do not have to get the Pro Hunter and it will save you some money.
                                Another plus is you can change the barrels out and have multiple calibers on a single frame. You can have a deer setup then a varmint setup and even a shotgun all in one case...
                                I like the one piece base and rings for them, and have had no issues with them holding zero between changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X