No announcement yet.

Anyone here familiar with .308 AK's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, F this project. I spoke w/ 4 different gunsmiths, 2 of which are AK gun smiths, and none of them would thread a .308 Saiga. Basically it's too thin of a profile, so there's no shelf to square the can. Same problem I had with the G3. After 2 AK gunsmiths turned me down saying it would have a baffle strike, I called mile high shooting, asked him to thread it, said he didn't think it was a good idea, and declined. I asked him if SAS themselves would thread the barrel. They declined, saying it would have a baffle strike. So, the two smiths that could guarantee me that IF I had a strike, they would fix my can both declined to thread it. So, that ship has sailed. Onto the next project.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Well that was a bust. Do you already own the gun?
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Well, F this project. I spoke w/ 4 different gunsmiths, 2 of which are AK gun smiths, and none of them would thread a .308 Saiga. Basically it's too thin of a profile, so there's no shelf to square the can. Same problem I had with the G3. After 2 AK gunsmiths turned me down saying it would have a baffle strike, I called mile high shooting, asked him to thread it, said he didn't think it was a good idea, and declined. I asked him if SAS themselves would thread the barrel. They declined, saying it would have a baffle strike. So, the two smiths that could guarantee me that IF I had a strike, they would fix my can both declined to thread it. So, that ship has sailed. Onto the next project.
        Why not sleeve the barrel to build up a shelf, then turn the threads?
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
          Why not sleeve the barrel to build up a shelf, then turn the threads?
          I proposed that, but they didn't think that was a good idea, primarily because I still have to get the FSB over it.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            Well that was a bust. Do you already own the gun?
            Luckily no, I can switch to another now. I didn't want to do an AR-10 because it just isn't very interesting to me, but it seems there's a reason the projects are interesting - they don't really work.

Comment

I proposed that, but they didn't think that was a good idea, primarily because I still have to get the FSB over it.
              What kind of gunsmith is afraid of a little welding?

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                What kind of gunsmith is afraid of a little welding?
                The part that matters is no smith would guarantee they could get it straight, none. If they can't stand behind their work I won't do it. And after 4 different gunsmiths told me the same thing without me volunteering the opinions of the other smiths, there's obviously an issue with it.

Comment

The part that matters is no smith would guarantee they could get it straight, none. If they can't stand behind their work I won't do it. And after 4 different gunsmiths told me the same thing without me volunteering the opinions of the other smiths, there's obviously an issue with it.
                  Well, that's a damn shame.

Comment

If you arent afraid of dropping some coin, why not have a barrel special made?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                      If you arent afraid of dropping some coin, why not have a barrel special made?
                      It isn't that easy for ak's, the barrel has a lot of shit mounted to and through it, not as easy as an ar. And if it gets north of 1k (which it easily will) it really doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Hey CJ, hey bud I'll pm you my brothers number, he has been a gun smith for awhile now and he may be able to help you out.

Comment

It isn't that easy for ak's, the barrel has a lot of shit mounted to and through it, not as easy as an ar. And if it gets north of 1k (which it easily will) it really doesn't make much sense.

A barrel blank, some mikes, a lathe, and a little time to kill is all that it will take. The only hard part is drilling the gas port and that is an advantage if you are planning on using a can. Look into using some RPK or Sagia 12 hardware to allow for an increase in the barrel OD.
                          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                            A barrel blank, some mikes, a lathe, and a little time to kill is all that it will take. The only hard part is drilling the gas port and that is an advantage if you are planning on using a can. Look into using some RPK or Sagia 12 hardware to allow for an increase in the barrel OD.
                            Cheaper to build an AR10 than get into that, and it's a higher quality gun in the end, so it looks like that's where I'm going.

The truth is there are only 2 .308 semi auto guns that really "work" with suppressors. The SCAR 17, and the AR-10. And the AR-10 is quieter.

Comment

Cheaper to build an AR10 than get into that, and it's a higher quality gun in the end, so it looks like that's where I'm going.

The truth is there are only 2 .308 semi auto guns that really "work" with suppressors. The SCAR 17, and the AR-10. And the AR-10 is quieter.
                              Can't fault your for giving up on the AK. Tweaking on them other then bolt-ons is a tough row to hoe.

I have seen plenty on suppressed M14s. Do they not work well?
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I just got a boner thinking about an ar-10 with a supressor.
                                03 cobra

Comment

Working...
                                X