Anyone use frog lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use frog lube?

I picked up a little tub of it because it was cheap. Everyone seems to rave about it. What do you do when your gun needs lube at the range? I can't see to find that answer anywhere.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I like the smell..
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

I have seen people use the liquid version the same way you would a traditional lubricant.

Comment

i have the paste.... hmmm
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I have it and use it on a few of my firearms. The prep is everything. Do it just like they say.
          It makes it incredibly easy to clean. I use the paste (sparingly) in looser tolerance/high load areas, like frame rails or other sliding areas. The liquid is more for use in areas where you'd use a CLP.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I'll be interested to see how you like it, I think it might do well in my 22 pistols.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
              I'll be interested to see how you like it, I think it might do well in my 22 pistols.
              well man, I dont have shit going on tonight, I have 20 guns I need to clean, feel free to come by with whatever you want to clean. I have whisky and cigars. pm me anyone else if you're interested.

Comment

Hey after you heat up the components and lube then, do you wipe the shit off, or leave it in there?

Comment

Mobil 1 FTW !!

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzo View Post
                    Mobil 1 FTW !!
                    Glock approved!

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
                      Glock approved!
                      Glock, lube is optional.

I use Mobil 1 on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        well man, I dont have shit going on tonight, I have 20 guns I need to clean, feel free to come by with whatever you want to clean. I have whisky and cigars. pm me anyone else if you're interested.
                        Well shit, had I not fallen asleep on the couch I woulda come over.

Comment

Hey after you heat up the components and lube then, do you wipe the shit off, or leave it in there?
                          Like many other things, if you think too much is on there...there probably is.
                          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Okay, so I painstakingly cleaned all of my guns last week with frog lube. I used a torch to heat up each part and I really went at it. We're talking surgical clean. Anyways, today I put frog lube to the test. I figured 300 rounds of .22 through my upper, and it was pretty damn clean. I would say it was about 3x cleaner than normal. That was impressive. I am a pretty difficult sell on a product, so I really was prepared to be disappointed with it. Everyone tells you Frog Lube is the bees knees, just wipe off the dirt and you're golden. Well, for the .22 upper that was completely true. Usually it takes me about an hour to clean my .22 upper. I completely disassembled every part and scrubbed it. It just wasn't necessary this time. I wiped it all down with a microfiber towel, brushed more frog lube on it and called it done. The bore was clean enough that all I did was run a q-tip through it. That was impressive.

Now, my other test was my MKIII. I shot 300 rounds through it today, suppressed. My intention was to really put it to the test. Primarily the reason I chose it is the gun is notoriously a pain in the ass to clean. More so than any other gun I own. So, 300 rds later here is what I'm left with:

I started cleaning the pistol with only q tips. I used no lube, brushes or anything.

That's pretty damn impressive. There is still crap in the corners, but honestly, who cares. Is it as clean as I could get it with traditional brushes, scrubs, and cleaners? No. I could get it cleaner for sure. However the important thing is this is I only use q-tips here, and it took a fraction of the time. I wiped down the bolt with a microfiber, and the bore, again, only needed a q-tip to take the last round's powder out of the bore.

So, does it work? Yes, it works. It isn't a miracle, but it's pretty damn close. The back of the bottle of Frog Lube says for the last step in the directions "Throw all of your petroleum based lubricants, you don't need them." I thought that was pretty damn arrogant, had a good laugh. But the truth is, I'd have to agree for the most part. I think the guns will in fact need a traditional cleaning, but more like every 5th or 10th time I shoot them. That's perfectly fine with me. For $12 it was definitely worth the money, and it allows me to shoot more, and clean less.
                            Last edited by CJ; 05-02-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

So, does it work? Yes, it works. It isn't a miracle, but it's pretty damn close.
                              Im waiting for your long term thoughts, and see if they mesh with what I've read elsewhere. which I wont divulge just as a kind of a blind study

Comment

Working...
                              X