What can you do with 10K in 3 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by slow99 View Post
    As long as you are shorting something with decent float, I don't see that as a big risk. Short loss is not bound at zero, has higher tax implications, and goes against market trend. Of course, it's inherently margined.
    Thanks for chiming in. I hadn't heard of float yet, so I didn't know to look at it.

Is shorting really pretty common, then? Are the tax implications to curb the practice?
    Men have become the tools of their tools.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• WTF are ya'll saying! ? I'm just happy to be back in the top 15

*edit FML... back to number 23 now
      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

• Mosfet do you do stocks with your real money?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
          Mosfet do you do stocks with your real money?
          Nope. I'm really good at this stock game, but I promise these results are not typical of real life.
          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by BERNIE MOSFET View Post
            Nope. I'm really good at this stock game, but I promise these results are not typical of real life.
            damn, sucks for you then huh... if you could do this for real you could make some cash... and some more cash, and some other people some cash and you more cash.

If I thought it was possible to do what you have done on 10k I'd be all for it with real money (wouldn't we all )

Comment

Thanks for chiming in. I hadn't heard of float yet, so I didn't know to look at it.

Is shorting really pretty common, then? Are the tax implications to curb the practice?
              Taxes are simply a result of short term versus long term. Not to curb shorting, shorts are an integral part of an efficient market. I was appalled when we temporarily banned shorting during the crisis, that's some straight up chinese shit. Yes shorting is extremely commonplace. Any equity hedge fund reduces market risk by shorting ... That's how the term was invented. Even long only managers utilize 130/30 or 120/20 funds to improve risk return by shorting. Even long only asset managers who manage to a benchmark are short any names that they don't hold but are in their benchmark.
              Originally posted by davbrucas
              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

damn, sucks for you then huh... if you could do this for real you could make some cash... and some more cash, and some other people some cash and you more cash.

If I thought it was possible to do what you have done on 10k I'd be all for it with real money (wouldn't we all )
                You and me both. I know what I am doing is unrealistic, and I know why. I've explained it to a few people. I figured I'd tell what I'm doing after the game is over.
                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

You and me both. I know what I am doing is unrealistic, and I know why. I've explained it to a few people. I figured I'd tell what I'm doing after the game is over.
                  but if you can do it in the game can't you do it for real? I mean I know that you are probably taking risk that you would never really take...

but the game is supposed to be realistic and mirror reality I thought.

Comment

Yes, it's easy to game these. I was debating posting that earlier for everybody.
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

Comment

but if you can do it in the game can't you do it for real? I mean I know that you are probably taking risk that you would never really take...

No, you can "game" (manipulate) these contests.

Comment

• ahhhhh ok well just so there is no confusion... i'm not gaming the game... lol I know that my negative numbers might look like I'm doing some funny biz but I'm not

Comment

• Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                          Taxes are simply a result of short term versus long term. Not to curb shorting, shorts are an integral part of an efficient market. I was appalled when we temporarily banned shorting during the crisis, that's some straight up chinese shit. Yes shorting is extremely commonplace. Any equity hedge fund reduces market risk by shorting ... That's how the term was invented. Even long only managers utilize 130/30 or 120/20 funds to improve risk return by shorting. Even long only asset managers who manage to a benchmark are short any names that they don't hold but are in their benchmark.
                          Some unfamiliar jargon there, but that's good. I've pilfered bits of info here and there on the interwebs, but do you have any recommendations on material to study to really get a firm grasp of everything involved? Textbooks, or the like?

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                          Yes, it's easy to game these. I was debating posting that earlier for everybody.
                          Exactly. I honestly expected someone (likely slow99) to call BS on it.

The main flaw I'm exploiting is presumed liquidity. Bid-ask spreads are wide when liquidity and volume is low. I'm literally looking at the spreads of really slow stocks to tell me what the stock price will likely do, and buying or shorting accordingly. Without real buyers and sellers, I can buy and sell 40,000 shares in an instant whereas in real life it could take weeks.
                          -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• I'm playing that CNBC trading game right now and in 7703th place which is just outside the top 1% bracket. Some of those fools are making serious money in short order on there!

Comment

ahhhhh ok well just so there is no confusion... i'm not gaming the game... lol I know that my negative numbers might look like I'm doing some funny biz but I'm not
                              LMAO...

2nd is now the new 1st.
                              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                                LMAO...

2nd is now the new 1st.
                                Bah, I tried to rib you and misread the rankings.
                                -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                                X