Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘Tremendous guilt’: Ex-Facebook exec’s regrets on ripping apart the social fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Tremendous guilt’: Ex-Facebook exec’s regrets on ripping apart the social fabric

This entire interview is really good. He's brutally honest about stuff,

Speaking to a crowd at Stanford for this interview,

"Everybody else has to soul search a little bit more about what you're willing to do, because your behaviors, you don't realize it, but you are being programmed. It was unintentional. But now you've gotta decide how much you're willing to give up, how much of your intellectual independence - and don't think, "Oh yeah, not me, I'm a fucking genius, I'm at Stanford." You're probably the most likely to fucking fall for it because you were probably check boxing your whole fucking goddamn life."

But this snip was really good. FF to 21:22

or read...

Q: You said that this is a time for soul searching in social media businesses, and you were part of building the largest one. What soul searching are you doing right now on that?

PALIHAPITIYA:
    I feel tremendous guilt. I think we all knew in the back of our minds, even though we feigned this whole line of “there probably aren’t any really bad unintended consequences.” I think in the deep recesses of our minds we kind of knew something bad could happen, but I think the ways we defined it were not like this.

It literally is at a point now where I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.

If you feed the beast, that beast will destroy you. If you push back on it, we have a chance to control it and rein it in, and this is a point in time where people need a hard break from some of these tools and the things that you rely on. The short-term dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works: No civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem — this is not about Russian ads — this is a global problem.

So we are in a really bad state of affairs right now in my opinion. It is eroding the core foundations of how people behave to and between each other, and I don’t have a good solution. My solution is: I just don’t use these tools anymore, I haven’t for years. It’s created huge tension with my friends, huge tensions in my social circles. If you look at my Facebook feed I probably have posted less than 10 times in seven years.

And it’s weird — I guess I kind of just innately didn’t want to get programmed and so I just tuned it out. But I didn’t confront it and now I see what’s happening and it really bums me out.

There are examples where there was a hoax in India. People were afraid that their kids were going to get kidnapped, etc. And then there were these lynchings that happened as a result, where people were running around like vigilantes.

Imagine when you take that to the extreme, where bad actors can now manipulate large swathes of people to do anything you want. It’s just a really, really bad state of affairs. And we compound the problem. We curate our lives around this perceived sense of perfection because we get rewarded in the short term — signals, hearts, likes, thumbs-up — and we conflate that with value and we conflate it with truth. And instead what it really is, is fake brittle popularity.

That’s short term and that leaves you even more vacant and empty before you did it. Because then it forces you into this vicious cycle where you think, “What’s the next thing I need to do now? Because I need it back.”

Think about that compounded by 2 billion people, and then think about how people react to the perceptions of others. It’s just really bad.

I think Facebook overwhelmingly does positive good in the world. Where I have decided to spend my time is to take the capital that they rewarded me with, and now focus on the structural changes that I can control.

I can control my decision, which is that I don’t use this s hit. I can control my kids’ decision, which is that they’re not allowed to use this shit.

And everybody has to soul-search about what they’re willing to do, because you are being programmed. It was unintentional, but now you have to decide how much of your intellectual independence you’re willing to give up.

And on a semi-related note, a TED Talk:

We're Building a Dystopia Just to Make People Click on Ads

ive never had or understood the allure of "social media" in the format such as myspace, facebook, etc..., and all this started when a person my age might be attracted to it.

have only been a part of a handful of forums for technical stuff, and dfwmustangs is the ONLY forum ive ever used for anything other than technical stuff. i.e shit talking, etc...

Comment

The best thing anyone can do is turn that shit off! When you get away from it you will understand as you watch from the outside. If you really think you have 500 friends your smoking crack!!

Comment

Been trying to tell my wife and family this for a long time. No one listens.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
          Been trying to tell my wife and family this for a long time. No one listens.
          Agreed.

That shit is virtual crack that actively subtracts IQ points.

Next time you go out to eat at Chili's, Cheddars, Buffalo Wild Wings.... take a look around and look at the percentage of addicted dumb asses glued to their phones, even when they are supposedly having dinner with other real human beings....

When you are sitting at a stop light.... be amazed at the number of people looking at phones\smartwatches who will continue to focus on the wrong thing when the light changes.

It's fucking scary and right out of a bad sci-fi movie....

Comment

Never liked it. But I do see mainly women that really get sucked into it.
            WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
              Agreed.

That shit is virtual crack that actively subtracts IQ points.

Next time you go out to eat at Chili's, Cheddars, Buffalo Wild Wings.... take a look around and look at the percentage of addicted dumb asses glued to their phones, even when they are supposedly having dinner with other real human beings....

When you are sitting at a stop light.... be amazed at the number of people looking at phones\smartwatches who will continue to focus on the wrong thing when the light changes.

It's fucking scary and right out of a bad sci-fi movie....

Yep, see it all the time. The idiots on them while walking are terrible as well. Any time my wife drags me to the mall they are all over the place running into each other.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

My wife is on FB a lot too, drives me insane. She watches TV and is on FB at the same time! She does play a lot of games on it, but at least only free ones. I've never regretted leaving it a long time ago.

Comment

Very little good can come from these bragging/look at me sites. I have no interest in them.

Comment

The mistake was releasing it to un(der)educated masses. I've been debating shutting it down for a year, more so lately. It has become more aggressive in the past year, and any interest in political debates devolve into attacks faster than they do here.

Comment

No such thing as exercising a little self-control these days? I've only ever used it to keep in contact with HS, long distant friends and relatives. I guess I'm glad I was raised before there was the internets.

Comment

Coming from someone who has been lumped in with the Millennial generation, I could give two shits what people are posting about on Facebook. I have a Facebook account, but I really only use it to keep up with family and a select few friends that I care about. That's not to say I don't have 500+ "friends" on Facebook, but I don't go there just to read people's posts.

It boggles my mind how many people will leave their own lives in shambles while reading through and commenting on other people's issues.

Comment

I figured out fast that I didn't need to wast my time with facebook. I prefer to waste my time here.

Comment

i use Facebook to sell my stuff! it's great

Comment

I haven't spoken with my brother in years because of Facebook. Well because of his wife on facebook really.
                              My wife posts on there rarely. but every time she did share something with a religious or conservative color to it my sister in law would attack her (my wife was a Pakistani orphan adopted by an American missionary family while over there. so she's a little fond of Christianity.) Brother's wife did the same thing when I posted a picture I found funny about how the pro abortion people where calling for the head of the dentist that shot that lion. So when once again she attacked my wife online my wife asked me what to do. I said, "fuck it, it's just the internet! unfriend her."
                              So the last time my brother ever talked to me was to call me and yell at me for "unfriending his wife". I said dude, it's just fucking facebook", but he went on about how disrespectful it was to him and yada yada yada, then hung up on me. I mainly use the FB to keep up with my RC friends around the world, and plan for events we are going to. I never thought it would cause a rift in my family. But it's no big deal my sister in law is a twat waffle and my brother and I have nothing in common anyway. Party on folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X