DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Car Audio

Car Audio Post up anything related to Car Audio or Video here.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
jewozzy
Lifer

Default Android head unit

my cheap radio just went out in my car and I'm thinking of getting a nicer radio that has nav on it. I have a double din slot and while looking online a lot of android head units were showing up as good ones to choose from. it would be pretty convenient to have the app's I generally blue tooth through my phone already on the radio (i.e. pod cast's, pandora). Does anyone have one of these set up's and are there any draw backs?
jewozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
BP
infidel

On mine (DDX9702) you have to use an external GPS antenna for nav to work which is kind of weird. As long as your phone is fairly up to date it works pretty well. Way better with steering wheel controls.

It integrates well with google music as it should. It's basically a remote screen in your car for google now. I wish there were more integrated apps but you can still use things like audible or nook audio books but through an aux mode.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
BP
infidel

Check out the DDX9702, I'd sell mine if you are interested in used. I had it in my old daily but recently traded it for a Jeep with Uconnect so it's currently in the dash of my beater truck. The radio is worth about what the truck is!

Btw it's way easier to use than Uconnect or Toyota's Entune.
BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Silverback
It's all in the reflexes

I have the older model of the Pioneer AppRadio and it works well.

It even has a micro-usb (MCL) cable to plug your phone in, and the screen on the radio becomes your phone screen in landscape mode. Pretty cool for videos, apps, etc. that are compatible.
Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
ram57ta
Lifer

I put a Kenwood DDX5902HD in my 07 Sierra and it works quite well with my Galaxy S4 using MHL cable. You can find em pretty good priced on Ebay if you search.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
jewozzy
Lifer

It'll be going in an 05 mountaineer. I've noticed the back of these units generally look like the red and yellows you would see on an old vcr. How does that work?
jewozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #7
War Machine
Lifer

Kenwood x2
War Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #8
ram57ta
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewozzy View Post
It'll be going in an 05 mountaineer. I've noticed the back of these units generally look like the red and yellows you would see on an old vcr. How does that work?
standard front/rear/subwoofer outputs and backup camera input. I picked up a cheap 10 dollar camera on Ebay and wired in a backup camera also. My cheap 10 dollar Ebay camera looks MUCH better than the camera that came installed in my 2015 Silverado 3500HD.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote