Explain this....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain this....

My exhaust runs close to some stuff that would just be better off if it didnt have exhaust pipe heat radiating onto it. So I bought some of that wrap shit and some stainless ties. I wrapped one side and then went to compare temps against the un wrapped side.

What I found out is that the bare pipe is measuring 200+ degrees cooler than the other side. I'm showing the same reading even on the same pipe in an area that isn't wrapped.

My loose understanding is that the bare pipe should be warmer????

To get a baseline did you happen to measure both sides before anything was wrapped?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      To get a baseline did you happen to measure both sides before anything was wrapped?
      Don't go bringing baseline measurements into an engineering discussion you racist, xenophobic, Nazi!
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

I would expect those results.. Wrapping the pipe is, in effect, insulating it. That's going to retain heat much better that plain steel tube will. If you look at cars with heat shielding to protect surrounding components, they're usually not directly attached to or touching the actual exhaust.

Isn't that why people wrap headers, in fact (to retain heat)?

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
          Don't go bringing baseline measurements into an engineering discussion you racist, xenophobic, Nazi!
          I laughed way too loud in my cubicle.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            I would expect those results.. Wrapping the pipe is, in effect, insulating it. That's going to retain heat much better that plain steel tube will. If you look at cars with heat shielding to protect surrounding components, they're usually not directly attached to or touching the actual exhaust.

Isn't that why people wrap headers, in fact (to retain heat)?
            I dunno, I did zero research I just swiped the card. my "thought" was that wrapping the pipe like some guys do on motorcycles will yes keep heat in the pipe but will also reduce temps near the pipe.

Comment

The wrap is supposed to trap heat, and cut down on radiant heat. Pick a panel close to the pipe, but not super close, or the pipe itself, and see what you come up with. I would think that it would be cooler as you get farther on the wrapped side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X