X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reloading FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Why would I be interested in reloading?

Well, you're obviously here because you're interested in shooting. And there isn't much shooting without ammunition. Eventually you will find that ammo costs too much, it's outrageous honestly. The more shooting you do, the harder you will find the cost bearable. Also you will find that ammunition just isn't sold in the varieties and applications you might want. Hand loaded ammunition is far more accurate for long range shooting.

2. How much will reloading save me?

You will always hear this from most reloaders: "Well, it won't save you anything, because you'll be shooting 5x more!" It's deceiving and doesn't actually answer the question. The truth is yes it will save you a lot of money. How much? Currently, ammoman.com sells 1,000 rounds of M855 5.56mm for $399.00 shipped. If you are any respectable enthusiast you could collect that "useless" brass at the local ranges, your friends brass, and your own and eventually end up with 1,000 brass cases. After 12 months of collecting brass at a leisurely pace you can trade up to what you need.

1,000 .223 cases scrounged..........$0.00
    4lbs WCC-846 powder.................$42.50 (cheaper if bought in bulk)
    1,000 Wolf Primers......................$15.00
    1,000 SS-109 Projectiles..............$70.00
    --------------------------------------------
    Total cost for 1,000 M855 rounds..$127.50

With a little effort bending over and picking up brass, and $127.50 you can load the same ammo for nearly 1/4 the cost of purchasing it. And considering a good amount of these components can be purchased at garage sales, second hand, and from other hobbyists you can cut down on the costs even further.

3. Isn't loading ammo dangerous?

By comparison shooting guns is just as dangerous. If you can fill a shot glass with whiskey you can load ammunition.

4. Alright, how much does it cost to get into reloading?

It all depends on your budget and how patient you are. Reloading presses can cost as little as $28, and as much as $10,000. Much like guns, you get what you pay for. A simple entry level single stage RCBS Rockcrusher will run you about $150. A complete RCBS entry level kit including just about everything you would need will run you $299. Higher end progressive presses start around $420 and allow you to do higher volume and less headache. Depending on what exactly you want to reload, there are additional expenses such as a case tumbler to clean and shine your brass, case trimmers if you're reloading rifle rounds, and then of course dies and components. Does that seem expensive? Consider this: while any decent rifle will run you around $1,000, how many of them save you money every time you use them?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Types of presses

1. Single Stage
    ex: RCBS Rock Crusher, Lee Classic Cast

Single stage presses consist of a single lever activated ram which forces a single case at a time into a single die. These style of presses are the most basic, and are also regarded as the most accurate, seeing as all of the precision parts of the machine are mounted to rigid surfaces. However, this style of press is considerably slower since each stage is completed separately. First re-size, deprime, and prime the cases in stage 1. Stage 2 you will be measuring and dispensing powder to each case. Stage 3 you place your bullet seating die in the press, and seat your bullet. Stage 4 (optional) you crimp the bullet. Removing and resetting your dies each time does take a while, as does measuring your powder. However, for long range accuracy this approach is proven to be the most reliable. There are many purists that will only use single stages.

Pros:
    * Cost - varying from $28-$299 depending on options and complexity.
    * Accuracy - the most precise approach to handloading.

Cons:
    * Speed - the slowest of all reloaders, high volume can be a headache. 50-100 rounds per hour.
    * Ease of use - get your calipers ready for removing and adjusting dies on a regular basis.

2. Turret
    ex: Lyman T-Mag II, RCBS Turret Press, Lee Classic Turret Press

Turret presses are somewhat of a hybrid between a single stage, and a progressive. The focus on these is maintaining accuracy while improving volume. However, the volume increase is not as substantial as a true progressive, but this style is more appealing to higher volume rifle shooters since it generally has better perceived accuracy per load. Turret presses work much like a single stage, with one case in the shell holder. However, the difference is all dies are mounted on a turret, which the operator rotates each stage onto the single case to complete it. This allows less handling of the case.

Pros:
    * Price - $130-$250.
    * Accuracy - Better per load accuracy than a progressive.
    * Volume - a reasonable 200 rounds per hour.

Cons:
    * Ease of use - these presses generally have less automated features than a progressive.
    * Complexity - a good understanding of the reloading process is required, and each stage must be monitored.

3. Progressive
    ex: Dillon Precision RL550B, Hornady Lock-N-Load, RCBS Pro 2000.

A progressive press differs from a single stage with it's focus on volume. While a single stage press forces a single round into 1 die, a progressive press forces 4 rounds into 4 different dies or stages simultaneously. To complete this "progressive" progress, the 4 round plate is rotated 90 degrees each pull of the handle, allowing each round to complete a stage. Once you're moving, a complete round drops into your collection bin each time you pull the magic handle. The only thing you have to do is stick an empty brass case into the first stage, drop a bullet onto the case in the third stage, and pull the handle. So - stick, drop, pull until you've filled your ammo can. These presses resize the case, deprime, prime, meter your gun powder for each round, seat your bullet, and crimp the case all themselves. Entry level progressive presses will run you between $365-$700 depending on your needs. Additional features can be added such as automatic case feeders, automatic trimmers, etc. Higher end progressive presses can be automated to shoot out ammunition at 1,500 rounds per hour while you read a magazine.

Pros:
    * High volume - 400-1,000+ rounds per hour.
    * Quicker caliber changes - All dies can be mounted to a removable tool head - no readjusting dies.
    * Ease of use - when properly dialed in, a child can effectively run the press.

Cons:
    * Price - $385-$576. These presses will run you about twice as much as a single stage, and easily more. switching calibers involves more than just dies, with shell plates, and powder dies coming into play.
    * Accuracy - although the differences are negligible, progressive systems generally do have slight variations in seat depth, powder measuring, and resizing given their additional complexity.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Incomplete as of 11/28/10 - I will continue to add to this each evening to build a comprehensive FAQ for everyone. I encourage and questions or suggestions to further help anyone interested.
    Update 09/14/11 - was able to cut costs to almost half of previous example.
    Last edited by CJ; 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

great post. im intersted in eventually reloading my own ammo

Comment

I have a single stage press and I knocked out 300-350 rounds of 45acp ammo last night in 2 hours (single stage press and I had previously re-sized most of the brass).

Its relaxing too. I had the TV going and just kind of ran the press while watching it.

Also, pistol ammo is a hell of a lot easier to reload than rifle ammo. It is easier to resize (223 is hell to get in and out of the resizing die) and 45acp generally doesn't need trimming.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

I made some 45-120 rounds

Comment

Good info and a great thread.
          Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            I have a single stage press and I knocked out 300-350 rounds of 45acp ammo last night in 2 hours (single stage press and I had previously re-sized most of the brass).

Its relaxing too. I had the TV going and just kind of ran the press while watching it.

Also, pistol ammo is a hell of a lot easier to reload than rifle ammo. It is easier to resize (223 is hell to get in and out of the resizing die) and 45acp generally doesn't need trimming.
            You don't really need to trim pistol ammo. case lengthening only really occurs in necked cartridges because the pressure builds at the neck and causes the case to stretch.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Guys I would seriously love to get a quick school in reloading.

Anyone able to host a get together for this? PM me if interested. I don't mind buying materials for the project either.

I'm a visual person so learning, watching and doing work best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                Guys I would seriously love to get a quick school in reloading.

Anyone able to host a get together for this? PM me if interested. I don't mind buying materials for the project either.

I'm a visual person so learning, watching and doing work best for me.
                Anyone interested is welcome to stop by and load some ammo whenever. How about this Saturday? I'll teach you small pistol, large magnum, small rifle, large rifle. If you could supply projectiles I have the rest. Sunday we can shoot them if you like.

...that is supply the projectiles if you want to load some ammo of your choosing. I have everything I need if you want to just see how ammo is reloaded.
                Last edited by CJ; 12-02-2010, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                  Anyone interested is welcome to stop by and load some ammo whenever. How about this Saturday? I'll teach you small pistol, large magnum, small rifle, large rifle. If you could supply projectiles I have the rest. Sunday we can shoot them if you like.

...that is supply the projectiles if you want to load some ammo of your choosing. I have everything I need if you want to just see how ammo is reloaded.
                  CJ, I definitely want to take you up on this offer, but I will probably have to wait until the end of January. Please send a PM. I'm going to purchase some brass and projectiles first too. I would like your input on what to purchase in 223, 30-06 and 45 ACP. I'd like to do 50 rounds of each or so, then I can get my own Rockcrusher and get to work while watching sports on TV or something along those lines.

I will definitely buy the lunch at a decent place to make it worth your while.

My wife is a professional event planner, and later today we have a running date, then a cycling date tomorrow, next weekend is a play with her mom and my son, then we have the holidays, the new TicketCity Bowl, the Cotton Bowl and then I have to get my son to his grandparents in San Antonio after that. It will be late January most likely. This also gives me time to get together some materials for the project.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                    CJ, I definitely want to take you up on this offer, but I will probably have to wait until the end of January. Please send a PM. I'm going to purchase some brass and projectiles first too. I would like your input on what to purchase in 223, 30-06 and 45 ACP. I'd like to do 50 rounds of each or so, then I can get my own Rockcrusher and get to work while watching sports on TV or something along those lines.

I will definitely buy the lunch at a decent place to make it worth your while.

My wife is a professional event planner, and later today we have a running date, then a cycling date tomorrow, next weekend is a play with her mom and my son, then we have the holidays, the new TicketCity Bowl, the Cotton Bowl and then I have to get my son to his grandparents in San Antonio after that. It will be late January most likely. This also gives me time to get together some materials for the project.

It's not a problem. Turned out Dillon forgot to ship me new decapping pins in my last order, and I broke my last one friday (stupid ass Korean berdan brass). I have a Rockcrusher as well if you want to mess with that one. And you and me both on the wife thing. She's more of a clandestine sneak attack planner. One minute I'm reading my guns to go shooting, the next minute I'm trimming trees.

Comment

Good to read, Thanks.

Comment

Ill be loading a couple hundred rounds tonight.

Comment

Was curious if anyone was willing to add to the FAQ by any chance. I know it takes awhile and such.

1. The press FAQ is really helpful. It's amazing how a single post was easier to 'get' how it all fits together compared to the 3 hours of reading I just did at 1001 other sites. Thank you.

2. What I'm interested in is what other things are must haves vs useful vs just cool. i.e. Tumblers are mentioned. Is that must have or useful?

Not that anyone cares, I'm working on figuring how much I need to go spend so I can reload. I'll even buy brass if it is cheap enough, although I'm trying to keep what I shoot if I can. Either way, if I can cut it from 35-45 cents a round to 25 cents for BRASS rounds - this is interesting stuff to me.

I think one investment would be a brass catcher too huh?
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

You Must have

Press, dies, calipers, scale, headspace gauge, lube, a way to cut the brass down to length, and a way to clean range brass if not buying new.

If you buy brass from places you can buy it processed, That will add 13-15cents per round vs range pickups and doing it yourself.

If im forgetting something please chime in.

I am posting for bottle neck rifle cases. Handgun is alot less tedious as far as case prep.

Comment

also a reamer. Tumbler is for cleaning/polishing brass; it can get pretty dirty after several reloads without cleaning and can cause chambering problems in tight chambers....also can scratch dies.

Comment

Working...
                              X