Looking at options and opinions for a 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    You can get into a 4cyl TJ for 8k, you can find some rougher 4.0L TJ's in that price range if you look around. I wouldn't be afraid of mileage on the 4.0L's, so you can cut some costs down on them. Look for leaking rear main seals (easy fix, but very common) and cooling issues, so make sure you do a long test drive. I would also recommend a TJ over a YJ given your budget. 4 cylinders are not bad jeeps, you just probably will be limited to 33" tires for streetability, but don't overlook them.
    each of the options I will be looking into have thier own upsides as well as downsides. The TJ's biggest downside is its cost, and end the end, that will likely kill it off as an option. Initial buy in is high, but most of the parts costs for what I would want to have are about the same price roughly. And unless I find one setup nearly the way I wany, the buy will price out anything else, namely tires. The plan is not to get into a project for 8k, its to be done with the initial build for 8k or less.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
      each of the options I will be looking into have thier own upsides as well as downsides. The TJ's biggest downside is its cost, and end the end, that will likely kill it off as an option. Initial buy in is high, but most of the parts costs for what I would want to have are about the same price roughly. And unless I find one setup nearly the way I wany, the buy will price out anything else, namely tires. The plan is not to get into a project for 8k, its to be done with the initial build for 8k or less.
      It can be done, it's just going to take patience and a lot of work. I'm into my TJ for a little under your budget. I guess it depends on how much work you want to put into it exactly. I like the Samurai's myself, I just wanted the TJ for the suspension and the modularity.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Have you driven a samurai with ac on and slightly larger tires on the highway? They feel like they lose half the hp when you turn the ac on. Its one of those vehicles that wasn't meant for the 65 mph texas hwy speed limits. I know a guy who was a big collector of these and I can only recall a few out of around 50 that had AC.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
          Have you driven a samurai with ac on and slightly larger tires on the highway? They feel like they lose half the hp when you turn the ac on. Its one of those vehicles that wasn't meant for the 65 mph texas hwy speed limits. I know a guy who was a big collector of these and I can only recall a few out of around 50 that had AC.
          No I have not. I had a friend in highschool that had a tin-top that we went everywhere in. Didnt have a/c, and didnt like going too fast on the interstate, but it would. It was a VERY close race between it and my air cooled beetle.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

No I have not. I had a friend in highschool that had a tin-top that we went everywhere in. Didnt have a/c, and didnt like going too fast on the interstate, but it would. It was a VERY close race between it and my air cooled beetle.
            If it would have had ac there would have been no going fast. I say that, but you have flat roads so with the ac on and a long straight stretch it just might hit 80, but that might take a couple miles.

I highly suggest you drive one with what ever sized tires you think you want and the ac on.

Comment

Its a nice change of pace from road racing.....plus I can take my 3 year old and strap him in the back seat/go camping.
              Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
                http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/3436100763.html

Its a nice change of pace from road racing.....plus I can take my 3 year old and strap him in the back seat/go camping.
                Ive seen that one.

We've only got two races next year, so we are looking at other forms of entertainment.

Comment

I like off-roading because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than racing. I break shit a lot less.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm really not trying to talk you out of a sami, just drive one. I like them and I'm not going to tell you how long I looked for a clean tin top EFI/AC one. I'll just say that a clean one, that has ac, and is also fuel injected, is not easy to find. It will either have rust or be a whored out rock climber that was over modified. Adding the hardtop made it harder. I still look on occasion, but I'm now okay with a soft top. Guys are putting the VW 1.9 IDI in them now and that looks like a wicked swap.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                      I'm really not trying to talk you out of a sami, just drive one. I like them and I'm not going to tell you how long I looked for a clean tin top EFI/AC one. I'll just say that a clean one, that has ac, and is also fuel injected, is not easy to find. It will either have rust or be a whored out rock climber that was over modified. Adding the hardtop made it harder. I still look on occasion, but I'm now okay with a soft top. Guys are putting the VW 1.9 IDI in them now and that looks like a wicked swap.
                      I'd give up efi for a/c. I'll be doing some driving when I start looking to buy.

I'm damn sure not out on a jeep, either. Maybe the price will go down over the next few months.

I'm kinda digging the scout idea. Dana 44's front and rear, power steering and power disk brakes standard after 74. And a 5.3 swap is mounts and an adaptor away. A/c was popular and thus full kits or individual parts are around. They are reasonable to buy in fair to nice shape.
                      Last edited by Baron Von Crowder; 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Seen it. I'd like to know how it was lifted, being that it is "shop built" and and all. I've looked around at what is out there, will and i'm pretty sure I'll have to build one either way, stock or moded when I buy it.

Comment

Wranglers are just expensive. They have the best value retention of any us made vehicle. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                              Wranglers are just expensive. They have the best value retention of any us made vehicle. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal.
                              Don't look too hard, it will likely be summer or next fall before I can make that jump.

Comment

Don't look too hard, it will likely be summer or next fall before I can make that jump.
                                Alright, ill let you know what I find.

Comment

Working...
                                X