Building an AR9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building an AR9

So I came across a good deal on a dedicated 9mm lower that utilizes Glock mags. Decided to build a dedicated 9mm AR as a PDW for the house. I get the ramped bolt vs. non ramped bolt, figure I will go with a ramped so I dont have to buy the 9mm hammer. I also plan on using a 5.5" barrel but am lost on the upper, buffer and have seen some topics talking about some uppers only working with Colt mags...etc but nothing regarding Glock mags other than the lower.

My question(s):
    1. Do all AR 9mm uppers work universally with mags and the lower is the only deciding factor?

2. What buffer do ya'll suggest?

3. Can I use a standard AR15 upper or do I need to buy a slickside with the 9mm ejection port?

I know some of ya'll are well versed in this area so looking for any feedback, thanks.

-Chris
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

I also just picked up one of the New Frontier lowers and started ordering parts.

Any upper will work as long as the bolt is cut to function with the glock mags. I ended up ordering a cheap slick side and sent a ramped CMMG bolt to be cut for the mags.

I have a standard RRA 5.4oz RRA buffer and one of the aftermarket extended heavy buffers on the way. I already have a carbine spring but will likely try one of the XP springs as well. From what I have read tuning the buffer system can be a challenge so I thought having some options would be good.

Comment

So not only does the bolt need to be ramped (for my wants) but also needs to be "cut" to accept Glock mags? I am going to Google but is anyone aware of a BCG that is already cut? I am not too familiar with the machine shops in my area.
      You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
      You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Very inrerested in what you guys figure out and what you end up with as a completed gun. I have thought about doing a 9mm AR on and off for a long time.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Man, I am honestly fighting off the urge to just sit on the lower until someone produces a "budget friendly" upper. I have looked on Gun Broker but there is not enough detail in the majority of those ad's to determine if they will work with my application.

-Bolt Catch is an issue
          -Finding a BCG cut for Glock mags that doesn't cost $249.99 (JP BCG)
          -Buffer setup as there is no "Right" setup, just have to trial and error it
          -I wanted a 5.5" barrel but the common theme seems to be 10" (suppressed that makes this a 16" barrel basically)
          -Threads: if the upper was designed as a dedicated upper, you are going to get 1/2 x 36 threads however the standard 9mm thread (per silencer shop) is 1/2x28 which is what I ordered on my Octane the other day so now I have to find an adapter

ugh, just seems like there are so many issues it makes me just feel like I am getting data overload and I kind of want to take a step back but am fighting the urge, lol

That Sig MPX is looking sexier and sexier...

Edit: has anyone reviewed the new UDP-9 from Angstadt Arms? Premiered at SHOT 2015

Comment

Where did you find the lower and what did it run you?
            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              Where did you find the lower and what did it run you?
              It was a 9mm billet, blem Spartan lower from JoeBob's. it was $129.99 with free shipping, I am picking it up from Jeff sometime this week as they should arrive today.

Picked up a Spikes Crusader for a 300 BLK SBR too $82.99...thought about the one tax stamp but figured if they block these somehow, hell, why not just do 2 SBR's, a dedicated PDW and then the multi cal AR15 lower for a 300 SBR or whatever else

Comment

Found this bcg:https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/a...lt-compatible/

And this small writeup http://www.pariaharms.com/AR9.php

Comment

Ordered an X-15 SCU side charging upper $299
                  Found several barrels but that damn 1/2 x 36 threading...will have to see if Silencer Shop can alter my piston (1/2 x 28) that I just ordered or if I will have to pickup a spare

Comment

I was able to pick up the New Frontier lower yesterday and get the parts kit installed.

It is disappointingly heavy with a ton of what looks like unnecessary material around the mag well.

I should have most of the other parts I need by next week.

Comment

Please post some pics of the finished product. When you get around to it and all.
                      WH

Comment

I hear that the 9mm parts are intentionally heavy due to the blow back.

Looking into a captured spring buffer system as it helps dampen the blow back. Most 9mm carriers (dedicated, not modified) have an extra weight in them just for this reason.

Hell, I have more questions around submitting a form 1 than I thought and less around this build...kinda wanting to do a 45 ACP as well but I am already at $400 just for tax stamps on two of my lowers

Comment

The receiver is just heavy because it takes less time to machine it that way.

Remember that with the captured style buffer (I assume JP) you will have to remove mass from the bolt so the buffer guide tube can slide through it. I am not sure lightening the bolt is worth what the captured buffer gets you. If you really wan to try one I think Midway still have them on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
                            The receiver is just heavy because it takes less time to machine it that way.

Remember that with the captured style buffer (I assume JP) you will have to remove mass from the bolt so the buffer guide tube can slide through it. I am not sure lightening the bolt is worth what the captured buffer gets you. If you really wan to try one I think Midway still have them on sale.
                            Yeah, for $139, F...THAT

I hear Spikes has a nice one for 9mm, I will be Googling as soon as I get out of work.

Comment

They must not have it on sale anymore. It was around $100 when I was looking a couple weeks ago.

The spikes is the cheapest of the heavy 9mm standard buffers. AIM surplus had them for $45, but it out of stock right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X