Legos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legos

Who all was an avid LEGO builder when they were younger? Every year at Christmas and my son's birthday I'm reminded how much today's LEGO sets are not the same as when we were growing up. From piece count to price range they are insane. Thousands of pieces, computer programmable, and designs that make me even say wow that would be fun to build.

Last year it was a Robot that he can plug into the laptop and program everything is does, this year it is a remote controlled LEGO 4x4 rock crawler, and a remote control LEGO excavator.

My wife and I fully support him wanting these expensive yet educational sets as I believe they teach him the mechanics and knowledge he will use as he gets older; in both school and the work industry....not to mention I like building with him from time to time

I've made the comment several times to my girlfriend when shopping for nieces and nephews about how much LEGOs have changed since I was a kid. If we wanted complex shapes or special pieces we had to figure out how to build them out of square blocks.....I feel like they have taken a lot of the imagination out of building with the newer sets and the specialty pieces that are included.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Thats all i wanted as a kid. Lol. That and remote controlled cars. But yeah i got me one when i was younger that was a rc car and legos in one. Best of both worlds! Lol. Not my nephew is into batman legos so thats what hes getting for christmas.
      GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

My nephew we're raising has a closet FULL of that stuff! $100 kits? Really? Lego's marketing department is genius.

Comment

I was a Lego nut and kept all of mine . I just turned 40 and my 4 year old son plays with my old ones mixed with the new ones I buy him . There is no question in my mind that they help develop a mechanical mind and creativity . I build with him all the time and even at 4 he is already really good at it . I have the old exspert builder sets mixed in with the regular stuff and he loves the axles and gears . I build him things he can push that make other parts work and the way he figures out how it works always makes me smile . I got him 3 new sets for Christmas to add to the pile and I will keep buying them as long as he wants me to . Great Toys plain and simple .
          Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            My nephew we're raising has a closet FULL of that stuff! $100 kits? Really? Lego's marketing department is genius.
            More like $2-300 kits

Comment

I had a metric shit ton of Legos. They were easily one of my favorite toys growing up. I'd build entire cities and have big car chases through them. Lol

Comment

These kits are col as fuck:

Comment

The prices on them have gotten crazy, but its not just them. I cant believe how expensive toys have gotten.

Comment

Yep, Legos were my favorite, and had about 2 trash bags full of them growing up... including the "ground" areas that locked together to build cities, moon bases, airport runways...

Of course, they were about 10 times less expensive back then....

My step-son is starting to get into them, but he has a really bad habit of losing little pieces of toys..... so we're going with the small\cheap sets first to see how well he keeps track of them...

Not spending hundreds of dollars in legos so they wind up in antarctica somewhere.... (or wherever else the black hole leads to in his room)

Comment

I can't wait until my son gets old enough to play with Legos. My favorite toys growing up were my Technic lego sets.

Comment

Lego's were always my favorite as a kid. We would make UZIs out of legos and have wars in the back and front yards. It was always a bitch when you dropped your Lego UZI while riding a bike and it shattered back into legos.

Comment

We had two huge buckets FULL of Lego and err would lay a sheet out on the floor and dump everything out and play Lego for hours/days. Building all kinds of stuff.

When it was time to clean up, we'd pick up the sheet and pour everything back in the big tubs
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I still collect and build Lego. A few thoughts on what's been posted so far:

• you think the price has risen? Go back and look at prices from back in the day. Adjusted for inflation, they've always been expensive. New licensed sets like DC/Marvel, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings are a bit more, but most sets hover around the 10 cent per piece range.
                            • Lego holds its value better than any other toy. Check out www.bricklink.com
                            • anybody crying that a box full of 1x2s are better than some of the new bricks is seriously suffering from Good-Old-Days syndrome. More kinds of bricks = more options for creativity.

Most of what I have is castle sets I've had since the 80's, but I enjoy getting new stuff and seeing new build techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                              I still collect and build Lego. A few thoughts on what's been posted so far:

• you think the price has risen? Go back and look at prices from back in the day. Adjusted for inflation, they've always been expensive.
                              Exactly. People are acting like they've just recently become expensive. Legos have always been pricey!

Comment

Working...
                              X