X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas raising taxes due to COVID

Dallas considering property tax hike to make up for COVID-19 losses

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas...ovid-19-losses

DALLAS - Home and property owners in Dallas may pay for the pandemic with higher taxes.

The Dallas City Council is considering an increase of up to 8%.

That would make up for the loss of millions in sales tax revenue this year and next year, especially after many businesses shut down.

The state law that limits property tax increases has an exception for emergencies like natural disasters.

Still, some think Dallas needs to find another way to balance its budget.

“It’s deeply troubling that during this most uncertain time – as Texas faces staggering unemployment and a record number of small and mid-sized businesses struggling or closing – the Dallas City Council would consider raising taxes on homeowners and local businesses. Local government should be using all means possible to help our citizens and businesses in their recovery, not burden them even more. I strongly encourage the City of Dallas to do the hard work of solving their own financial problem by thoroughly examining and adjusting their spending habits, just as our families and local businesses owners have been required to do. It’s not the easiest way, but it’s the right way,” Texas State Rep. Morgan Meyer said in a statement.

The tax hike proposal is on the council’s agenda for Wednesday afternoon.

It's nice to know the government won't go broke during this slowdown, just because the citizens supporting the government are going broke. They'll just reach their hands even deeper into our pockets to make up the difference.

And 2021 home values will go down due to the economy in 2020!!!!!!

Comment

Will see what happens as there will also be a budget shortfall from lack of gasoline sales
      Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

The crackheads on the city council want more crack? Imagine my surprise.

Comment

It hasn't even started.

They used lack of police, fire, and public works in permitting for the 42% increase here. I've got to pay $100 for a three day burn permit on my commercial property. I bring it home now.

Comment

I manage a commercial property in Uptown for my boss and all of our tenants were shut down for the past few months and they didn't pay rent. It's hard to charge them rent when they have zero income.

But, guess what it looks like dallas county is going to do? Still charge us (the landlord/property owner) a full years of property tax (it's around $300k, so it's real money) even though they effectively shut down our revenue stream. How is that fair in the slightest? EVERYONE should have to tighten their belt for a year or two until this thing fully settles out. I want a 2-3 month tax abatement, at least. They better do the right thing.
            Ford
            GM
            Toyota
            VAG

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
              The crackheads on the city council want more crack? Imagine my surprise.
              it was the city manager's idea and the city council voted it down yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                it was the city manager's idea and the city council voted it down yesterday
                Thanks goodness. There were 3 city councilman that voted for it. They should recall all 3. If you can arrest people for trying to work and then ask them to pay more taxes, you are insane. Just because things are legal doesn't make them right.

Comment

Time to legalize weed!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis View Post
                    Time to legalize weed!!!!!!!
                    Amen

God Bless

Comment

Decriminalized weed is better.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                        Thanks goodness. There were 3 city councilman that voted for it. They should recall all 3. If you can arrest people for trying to work and then ask them to pay more taxes, you are insane. Just because things are legal doesn't make them right.
                        Who were the 3 that voted in favor?

<<<<< (Not a Dallas resident thank goodness, just interested)

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                          Decriminalized weed is better.
                          Expound, por favor.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                            Who were the 3 that voted in favor?

<<<<< (Not a Dallas resident thank goodness, just interested)
                            I voted. For paying people more to job tax them more

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                              Expound, por favor.
                              Well in Arkansas, with a medical card, you can't buy a firearm or possess. It's also a tax thing. Decriminalizing keeps money and invention out of the government's hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X