Speaker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker question

I'm what you'd call "electronically stupid", so bear with me here.

I've got an older stereo that has speakers with bare-end wires that you have to plug in individually to the back of said stereo and flip the clamp down to make the connection.

I've got an old high quality set of headphones that are broken and useless to me now.

Would it be possible to hard-wire those speakers into the 1/4" jack on my headphones, and use them for my portable DVD player, or on my computer?
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
    I'm what you'd call "electronically stupid", so bear with me here.

I've got an older stereo that has speakers with bare-end wires that you have to plug in individually to the back of said stereo and flip the clamp down to make the connection.

I've got an old high quality set of headphones that are broken and useless to me now.

Would it be possible to hard-wire those speakers into the 1/4" jack on my headphones, and use them for my portable DVD player, or on my computer?
    It depends on how the speakers are rated (ohm-wise), and what kind of power your DVD player and computer put out.

Comment

It's very possible but not really practical. You might get some audio output but with less than a watt of power they won't be very loud. Even the crappiest PC speakers usually need 10-15 watts and decent ones can take 3-4 times that. Now you if your tuner has an aux input you could use it as an amplifier for those speakers.

Comment

Working...
      X