Do you tip for takeout food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    Expect the cost of food to shoot thru the roof if that happens.. most restaurants wouldn’t survive paying that
    If everyone were to do it...they would be fine which is why it would have to be govt mandated through min wage laws.

Fast food has done it for years.

Comment

They don't pay most of those people shit and the cost of living these days is redonculous. Just because they are not refilling my tea does not mean that they don't put some work into putting my meal together. I tip better than I should at most places to make up for the cheap asses that were there before me. I also usually get really good service were they recognize me. Not many places anymore since I don't eat out a lot.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
        I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip. If they really put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
        Very nice Mr. Pink...
        Originally posted by Silverback
        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          If everyone were to do it...they would be fine which is why it would have to be govt mandated through min wage laws.

It would more than double the cost of wait staff and food prices would increase to cover it. It would move the value of eating at a full service restaurant further from eating at home or a fast food restaurant, so it would affect business. And fast food restaurants are different because they handle much higher volumes
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
            It would more than double the cost of wait staff and food prices would increase to cover it. It would move the value of eating at a full service restaurant further from eating at home or a fast food restaurant, so it would affect business. And fast food restaurants are different because they handle much higher volumes
            If you're replacing tipping...the cost can be absorbed by the customer. I highly doubt there will be much of a delta.

And doubling labor costs is not the same as doubling total costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              Expect the cost of food to shoot thru the roof if that happens.. most restaurants wouldn’t survive paying that
              Yes. There are practical business matters why restaurant servers have a low hourly wage + tips. Also, if you don't like the job...then don't do it.

Federal or state imposed increased labor cost have huge impact on small business. So, I dare to say if you want a high minimum wage + tips because the world should be sunshine and rainbows. You are essentially wanting to put these industries out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                The IRS assumes you'll be getting 8% of sales as a tip, the standard is generally 15% so that 7% is tax free if you don't mind cheating the government a little. Restaurants tack on 18% for groups but most people tip 20% because the math is easier.
                I think it might have been even less than 8% back then, but when I was waiting tables in college whatever the % was is all the restaurant reported as our tips that we paid tax on. One year I spent more on my mustang than what my W2 said I made.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                  Yes. There are practical business matters why restaurant servers have a low hourly wage + tips. Also, if you don't like the job...then don't do it.

Federal or state imposed increased labor cost have huge impact on small business. So, I dare to say if you want a high minimum wage + tips because the world should be sunshine and rainbows. You are essentially wanting to put these industries out of business.
                  Fear mongering at its finest.

The world will collapse if servers get an extra $5.75 an hour. ZOMG!!11! yall are all the same

Comment

Fear mongering at its finest.

The world will collapse if servers get an extra $5.75 an hour. ZOMG!!11! yall are all the same
                    Hilarious. Fear mongering? Are you serious? It's Economics.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                      Hilarious. Fear mongering? Are you serious? It's Economics.
                      Theres a reason restaurant workers in NYC wanted to maintain their hourly rate below the states minimum wage.

Its because they would make less at $13-15 an hour than they would at $7.5 an hour with tips. The customer is the person funding that greater than $15/hr rate they want to maintain.

Oh you didn't know that restaurants are already surviving at a rate over 2.50/hr? Of course you didnt because your politician told you they cant.

Comment

Fast food doesn’t have a waiter and a bartender taking care of you. You eat with pre packaged silverware, your plates are trashed after use, you’re generally eating very low quality processed shit as well.

If everyone were to do it, you’d see lots of full service restaurants close.. the ones that stayed open you’d see a price increase and drop in food quality.. multiple waiters going from 2.13 to 7.25 over the course of a pay period would seriously hit a restaurant extremely hard.
                        "PSH!!!"

Comment

Do none of yall actually understand how the tip credit system in texas works?

All restaurants are required to ensure their employees are receiving total compensation in excess of minimum wage. That means if an employee makes less than $5.12 an hour in tips than the employer has to make up the difference.

The customer can either directly make up that difference via tips which equates to much over minimum wage for the vast majority of service workers.

Or the restaurant can pay properly and raise food prices. The price impact to a consumer would be negligible unless the consumer was still expected to tip.

Comment

I've heard the worst tippers are black people, church crowd and probably school aged kids

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                              I've heard the worst tippers are black people, church crowd and probably school aged kids
                              Def true when talking about deliveries.

I had a black dude threaten to kick my ass over $0.37 cents when I worked at Papa Johns. Told him to calm down I'd go dig it out of my car. Got it my car and gave him the double birds as I drove off.

Comment

Do none of yall actually understand how the tip credit system in texas works?

All restaurants are required to ensure their employees are receiving total compensation in excess of minimum wage. That means if an employee makes less than $5.12 an hour in tips than the employer has to make up the difference.

The customer can either directly make up that difference via tips which equates to much over minimum wage for the vast majority of service workers.

Or the restaurant can pay properly and raise food prices. The price impact to a consumer would be negligible unless the consumer was still expected to tip.
                                Do you actually have experience in the restaurant biz? Because no restaurant actually pays the difference on a slow night.
                                "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X