Python

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ View Post
    They are widely regarded as the finest production revolver ever made. They have exceptional triggers, the silkiest double action I've ever felt, probably one of the best finishes I've ever seen, and they are incredibly accurate. Not to mention they were always an elite custom pistol, and very expensive since their debut in 1955, they were never cheap at any time. You mention your parents paid $700 for that python in 1990. Well, adjusted for inflation that's $2,024 today. So chances are your parents heard it was a $700 handgun every time they took it out as well.
    X2

Basically a hand fitted production revolver. One would have to place a order through the S&W performance/cutom shop to come close to quality.
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      X2

Basically a hand fitted production revolver. One would have to place a order through the S&W performance/cutom shop to come close to quality.
      And it would still be way off.

To come close to Python quality you really need a Korth, Janz, or Manurhin.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
        And it would still be way off.

To come close to Python quality you really need a Korth, Janz, or Manurhin.
        There are a couple of custom shops that handle S&W pistols that could do the job, and a well-fitted triple-lock could be as tight as a Python. At the point either of those come into your possession, though, a Python is a less costly option.

FULL DISCLOSURE EDIT: I'm going to say something that will probably have DOHCTR and CJ driving to Stephenville to stage an intervention. I don't like the way Colt double actions look. Not Pythons, not Anacondas, not Troopers, and not anything else I can think of. I'd own one if the right one came my way, but I think they're ugly. My heart is set on a clean triple-lock. Have a nice day.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
          There are a couple of custom shops that handle S&W pistols that could do the job, and a well-fitted triple-lock could be as tight as a Python. At the point either of those come into your possession, though, a Python is a less costly option.
          and we also must remember many pythons go to gunsmiths for custom work as well.

^nuclear option.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

and we also must remember many pythons go to gunsmiths for custom work as well.

^nuclear option.
            They go to gunsmiths for repair a little too often, like every Colt double action, because they can't handle .357 in the first place.

Comment

They go to gunsmiths for repair a little too often, like every Colt double action, because they can't handle .357 in the first place.
              That's a common misconception. Those guns have the same actions police departments used for 70 years. Yes they require occasioning tuning and peening of the hammer, but only after a very long diet of hot magnum loads. There are very few revolvers more proven than the old colt action. I read a master pistol gunsmith's article about the art of working on pythons, and he was saying he had a customer who fired nothing but max charge .357 magnum rounds though his python and it only required one adjustment in 15,000 rounds. It's just typical gun shop gossip, every nice pistol must have something wrong with it, so it's rumored disproportionately. Similar to delta elite's cracking frames. You always hear it from people but you never meet anyone that experienced it. I've personally inspected at least 30-40 pythons at gun shows, shops, and personal guns and I have yet to see a python that needed tuning, or was out of time. I'm sure they are out there, but it's really blown out of proportion. And I'd like to add, if you ever find one that has problems, send them to me and I'll buy it. I've been shooting the shit out of my 4" python and I intend to continue that to prove a point. And in the worst case scenario, you send it back to Colt and they will make it 100% again for a very reasonable price. They treat python owners very well on pricing.
              Last edited by CJ; 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

That's a common misconception. Those guns have the same actions police departments used for 70 years. Yes they require occasioning tuning and peening of the hammer, but only after a very long diet of hot magnum loads. There are very few revolvers more proven than the old colt action. I read a master pistol gunsmith's article about the art of working on pythons, and he was saying he had a customer who fired nothing but max charge .357 magnum rounds though his python and it only required one adjustment in 15,000 rounds. It's just typical gun shop gossip, every nice pistol must have something wrong with it, so it's rumored disproportionately. Similar to delta elite's cracking frames. You always hear it from people but you never meet anyone that experienced it. I've personally inspected at least 30-40 pythons at gun shows, shops, and personal guns and I have yet to see a python that needed tuning, or was out of time. I'm sure they are out there, but it's really blown out of proportion. And I'd like to add, if you ever find one that has problems, send them to me and I'll buy it. I've been shooting the shit out of my 4" python and I intend to continue that to prove a point. And in the worst case scenario, you send it back to Colt and they will make it 100% again for a very reasonable price. They treat python owners very well on pricing.
                There are rental Security Sixes from the 80's with over a million rounds through them, and still ticking. Shouldn't a gun in the same caliber, offered as a premium item, be expected to hold up at least as well?

Comment

There are rental Security Sixes from the 80's with over a million rounds through them, and still ticking. Shouldn't a gun in the same caliber, offered as a premium item, be expected to hold up at least as well?
                  That's like comparing a Porsche 911 to a Toyota Camry because both have a 6 cylinder and complaining about the back seat room. That's not what the gun was built for, that's not it's intended purpose. The Python was built to showcase decades of gunsmithing refinement and experience with their old Colt action. The best gun they could make when price wasn't an option. The security six will go bang 6 rounds in a row for the cool price of $500 - just like any gun in it's price range. It's not going to have a 4lb single and 7lb double pull, and it isn't going to group 2 inches at 100 yards. If it had the capability and quality of a python then you'd have a point about reliability and a million rounds down the tube. There are guns like the MR73 and Korth which have that kind of reliability and the quality but they are extremely expensive, more so than a python. That's the trade off.
                  Last edited by CJ; 07-31-2014, 10:29 PM.

Comment

That's pretty valid.

Comment

But seriously, if you ever seen a python with a problem, make sure I'm the first one you tell. Because I'd really like to see it and try to buy it.

Comment

But seriously, if you ever seen a python with a problem, make sure I'm the first one you tell. Because I'd really like to see it and try to buy it.
                        The owner has some he wants you to look at.

Comment

If I get a python I want it in royal blue..... I'd love to have a 1911 in royal blue too. It's the most bad ass of Colt blues.

Comment

Did someone say python?

Comment

I'm always down for that. I'll need to stop by.

Comment

I'll just enjoy my pre lock 686+ over here with the peasants.
                                ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Working...
                                X