Carry revolvers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry revolvers?

Looking at getting a small frame revolver for carry, have it narrowed down to a j frame smith and LCR both in 357. I could have sworn someone on here bought a lcr and did a mini review bu a search didn't show anything. What is everyone's thoughts/experience on the two?
    "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

I've shot both, but I want a 642-1, which is the no-lock.
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I've shot a older hammered j frame and liked it but have no experience with the ruger. Can you get a smith with no lock these days?

Comment

not that you have asked at all. but ive got a sp101 that i like. i just cant get away from my g27 for everyday.

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I bought one a couple of years back and really like it for what it is. It's not as pretty (IMO) as the J Frame but also not as expensive. Ruger also offers the LCRx if you want both a DA and SA trigger. If you can afford it, the J Frame would get my vote. For the money though it's the LCR. The trigger is OK out of the box unfortunately doesn't have the options for tuning like the J Frame is as far as I know. Weight wise, the LCR also gets my vote without going to a higher dollar J Frame. The only thing I've done is bought a few different holsters till I found one I really liked. The one and only on gun mod I'll be doing is adding a good sight as it has a plain black ramp on the front (rear u notch) that the previous owner painted a hot pink (it was his wife's carry gun). Outside of the two guns mentioned, I want to get an SP101 as my next revolver.
          Last edited by Jose; 01-22-2015, 12:57 PM.

Comment

The sp101 is one I had forgot about. It might be a option as well. I've always been drawn to smith revolvers as I have always had good luck with them. I might kick it around for a little longer. I just haven't really found anything that I really like for carry right now. I just keep falling back on my 1911's as I have carried them for so long tgey are just natural to me.

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
              The sp101 is one I had forgot about. It might be a option as well. I've always been drawn to smith revolvers as I have always had good luck with them. I might kick it around for a little longer. I just haven't really found anything that I really like for carry right now. I just keep falling back on my 1911's as I have carried them for so long tgey are just natural to me.
              I'm the opposite and I've always been drawn to the Ruger's probably because my uncle and cousins used to hunt with a Redhawk and carried an SP101/GP100 for self defense. And although it's not preferable to me anymore, I used to own a Mini 14 that I loved. The SP101 would be heavier than either the LCR or J Frame and soak up some .357 Magnum recoil better and I'm sure you can find an equal model of S&W. I too also keep falling back to a 1911 but I'll carry the LCR in a pinch if I need to carry something lighter or the threat level is not as high. I really need to get an ankle holster to expand how and where I use it as well as I really don't like pocket carry.

Comment

The LCR will be coming out in 9mm if that makes any difference to you. I like it because I have more 9mm than .38 special.
                Originally posted by lincolnboy
                After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

I have tons of 38/357 so that's a plus for me along with the fact that I'm already setup to reload it. The 9mm did peak my intrest as it would likely be a great shooter.

Comment

I carry between this and my SP-101. 15oz -- 38+p S&W 638 Airweight. They have a 357 340PD, I owned one for 5 rounds-----

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                      The LCR will be coming out in 9mm if that makes any difference to you. I like it because I have more 9mm than .38 special.
                      moon/half-moon clips?

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
                        moon/half-moon clips?
                        Full moon

Korth introduced a 9mm carry that does not require moon clips

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                          Full moon

Korth introduced a 9mm carry that does not require moon clips
                          How does it work? Headspace off the case mouth?

Comment

Kraut space magic.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
                              I carry between this and my SP-101. 15oz -- 38+p S&W 638 Airweight. They have a 357 340PD, I owned one for 5 rounds-----
                              lol, the PD is a wrist snapper for sure, but I used to carry an airweight and now carry a PD

I prefer the PD's light weight for a pure carry vs. the airweight. God forbid I should ever need to use it, I won't care about recoil. I can control it just fine, it's just not pleasant
                              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Working...
                              X