Ground Turkey vs Ground Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Turkey vs Ground Beef

Do you notice a difference? The wife and I have pretty much eaten ground turkey the entire time we have been together. Before her, I had never had ground turkey, and I didn't really notice a difference when I started eating her food. I was just curious if anyone else eats ground turkey.

I have to find ways to eat healthier and found out, like everything else, you need to read the labels before you assume it is better before you. It turns out some ground turkey is just as bad as ground beef.

You might be tempted to use ground turkey for a low-fat substitute for ground beef, but check the label before you assume too much. Not all ground turkey has the fat and calorie savings you might believe.

If a package is labeled "ground turkey," what it means is that it can be any combination of breast and leg meat, and even skin. A 3-ounce cooked portion of this kind of ground turkey has about 200 calories and 11 grams of fat. A 3-ounce cooked portion of extra-lean ground beef contains 218 calories and 13 grams of fat, so you aren't really getting reduced calories and fat from using this type of ground turkey.

What you want to look for is a label on ground turkey that says "ground turkey breast." This type has 100 calories and 1.5 grams of fat for the same cooked 3-ounce portion.

Of course if you use the lean ground turkey, you will lose some moistness and flavor. If you are making turkey burgers, for example, they won't be as tasty as the combination ground turkey. But if you're making chili or something else with a lot of flavor and spices, you probably won't notice a difference.
    Here recently we have gotten away from the ground turkey, and have instead gone to the ground beef from Costco. What I can't figure out is, what tis he fat content in this meat? When we cook it, it seems very lean, with very little fat left over. It is so lean I don't even bother draining the fat since it is almost non-existent. Anyone know what the ratio is on this meat?
    Last edited by mstng86; 02-16-2011, 08:38 AM.

I was introduced to substituting turkey for beef back in the mid 90s. It was a bit weird at first, but now not so much. I prefer 96/4 ground bison.

Good point on the ground turkey content.
    Men have become the tools of their tools.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by MOSFET View Post
      I was introduced to substituting turkey for beef back in the mid 90s. It was a bit weird at first, but now not so much. I prefer 96/4 ground bison.
      OP, I tried to tell ya to read them labels man!

I just use 3-4% lean beef.

To the above poster: Where do you find 4% bison and how much is it per lb?

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
        OP, I tried to tell ya to read them labels man!

I just use 3-4% lean beef.

Man, I was letting the wife buy the groceries. I have since taken over the task.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          Man, I was letting the wife buy the groceries. I have since taken over the task.
          Smart man!
          I always read labels on anything that I buy and then pull out my iphone and calculate, if needed.

Comment

The Kroger by me (Mockingbird and Greenville) normally has it. It's priced similar to lean beef. One of the advantages is FDA doesn't allow any hormone use.

Comment

Kroger on Macaurther and 635 has bison too. Ground, and steaks most of the time.

Comment

Do you guys taste a difference in bison? I've never had it before.

Comment

Are you two referring to bison meat in general or 4% fat bison meat?

The Kroger by me has bison meat, but it has 10% fat content.

Comment

I've never checked honestly, my wife won't eat it so I don't bother. I will check next time I go though.

Comment

Sounds good, please get a price too.

I pay $3.58 per lb of 4%.

Comment

bison burgers are good

Comment

Sounds good, please get a price too.

I pay $3.58 per lb of 4%.

Shit that is cheaper than ground beef right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                            Do you guys taste a difference in bison? I've never had it before.
                            It does taste different, and it's good!

Comment

Ground turkey isn't bad, but I prefer venison which is still healthy. It's a little pricier though.
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                              X