Witten is back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witten is back!

Retirement didn’t even last a year for Jason Witten, who has shockingly decided to return to the Cowboys and play for a 16th NFL season.

"Put a stop to that Hall of Fame clock. Or better yet, just pause it for the time being.

That’s because Jason Witten has decided he isn’t done playing just yet.

Although he retired from the NFL last May, the future Hall of Famer is coming back to the Cowboys for what will be his 16th pro season. Witten played 15 years for the Cowboys from 2003-17, which included 11 Pro Bowls, the most in team history by any offensive player.

But after abruptly deciding to hang up the cleats last May and join the broadcast booth of Monday Night Football, Witten has apparently had a change of heart. He will return to the field and officially sign a contract with the Cowboys, who retained his rights when he was placed on the NFL’s Reserve/Retired list.

“The fire inside of me to compete and play this game is just burning too strong,” Witten said in a statement. “This team has a great group of rising young stars, and I want to help them make a run at a championship. This was completely my decision, and I am very comfortable with it. I’m looking forward to getting back in the dirt.”

Witten will rejoin a Cowboys team that finished 10-6 and won a wild-card game before falling to the Los Angeles Rams in the NFC’s divisional round.

While the Cowboys have plenty of young talent and a roster that had eight Pro Bowl selections, there is still a question mark at tight end – a question that has presumably been answered for now. Witten returns to a tight end position that includes Blake Jarwin and Dalton Schultz under contract, along with Rico Gathers. Geoff Swaim, who started all nine of the games he played, is an unrestricted free agent and might not be a top priority to re-sign now that Witten has returned.

In fact, drafting a tight end might not be a priority as well, considering the youth and potential of both Jarwin and Schultz, who now get the luxury of learning from one of the best to ever play the position.

Witten retired with 1,152 career receptions, which ranks fourth in NFL history, behind Jerry Rice, Tony Gonzalez and Larry Fitzgerald. His 12,448 receiving yards rank 21st in league record books, but second among tight ends behind only Gonzalez (15,127).

More than just stats, Witten provides consistency, not only with his numbers but also his availability. His 239 career games played is a Cowboys franchise record, and he played a full 16 games for 15 straight years, only missing one game during his career, dating back to his rookie season in 2003."
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Now we need Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, and Michael Irvin to come back

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
      Now we need Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, and Michael Irvin to come back
      Novacek kept that team moving

Comment

I get this from a Cowboys aspect, even if I don’t agree with it. I think it’s a bonehead move on Witten’s part.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I didn’t like him as an announcer. He seemed kind of like a deer in the headlights. He’s not the monster he once was but didn’t suck his last season either. He’s pretty big and blocks good too
          "PSH!!!"

Comment

There is a 0% chance he's worse than what they had this past year, so no matter what even at his current age he's an upgrade. As for him being an analyst, meh... I always thought he'd be more suited as a coach.

Stevo

Comment

Should we go ahead and buy those 2019 season playoff / Superbowl tickets now?

Comment

Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
                Should we go ahead and buy those 2019 season playoff / Superbowl tickets now?
                yeah that might be a bit premature lol

Comment

Well, if Daryl Johnston isn't coming back, I guess I'll take Witten.

Comment

I wonder if his post NFL player income opportunities aren't panning out as well he had hoped and money is running out faster than expected. For some reason I get the impression he's just looking to pull in a couple years of high income to better position himself for 'Retirement'.

Comment

I think Jerry just told him, give me one more year on the field, and you can retire again and coach here.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                        I wonder if his post NFL player income opportunities aren't panning out as well he had hoped and money is running out faster than expected. For some reason I get the impression he's just looking to pull in a couple years of high income to better position himself for 'Retirement'.
                        I doubt he's making much if any more on the field than what he was making in the booth, although it's not been disclosed...

I think he took the ESPN job cause it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and retired before he was ready cause he wouldn't get another shot at that. He figured out he didn't like it as much, and wasn't that great at it, so go back to what he still loves and *can* do.

When he's officially done playing, there's no doubt in my mind he'll coach. I'm not quite ready to go full "Jub-Hawk" on that proclamation just yet but I'm sure he will.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                          I think Jerry just told him, give me one more year on the field, and you can retire again and coach here.
                          Without getting too deep into it, but it’s been something I’ve been thinking about, part of me wonders how far back Jones and Witten planned this. If you knew you needed to draft a solid TE right out of the gate for the 2019 season, then had a known quantity agree to coming back for the starting TE position in 2019... suddenly some particular 2018 mid-season moves make a lot of sense.
                          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                          dont downshift!!
                          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I think it's paving the way for him to coach in the next 2 years.
                            Originally posted by Da Prez
                            Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                            Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced4v View Post
                              I think it's paving the way for him to coach in the next 2 years.
                              I bet romo coaches before it’s all done too
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X