No announcement yet.

Auto loan craziness article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The newest subprime loan industry is The Used Auto industry. I hate those kind of vultures as much as I hate Pawnbrokers, bail bondsman, wrecker drivers, and Pi lawyers.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
      Has he ever heard of a lease?
      One of my friends, who always averages about a 6k loss on a vehicle trade every other year for him and his wife, got talked out of his fairly new vehicles to get into a lease and not be upside down. Well two weeks ago he decided that after one year he was getting out of those crappy leases and buying new cars again. I bet he dropped 90k. He also just refinanced his house to remodel it.

I always bought my wife new shit every four to five years when she was working, but I like used odd stuff, so my three cars cost less than her one usually. Even though currently I have only a 06 Nissan I drive. At least I had the extra cars to sell to pay hers off when she dove out of the work force.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

You mean to tell me people spend foolishly, without fear of consequences? Blasphemy!
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I went 6 on my 18-F250
          Originally posted by Da Prez
          Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
          Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
            This is why I buy used and I buy Toyota/Honda. Save money, lasts a realllly long time.

Wife's MDX is knocking on 150,000 and I haven't had anything major go out on it that wasn't planned.
            Originally posted by Big A View Post
            Sounds so exciting and fun to drive.
            Something exciting and fun to drive is often not worthwhile to have around here anymore thanks to gridlocked freeways.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            1/3rd of auto loans are OVER 6 years. That's pretty damn crazy...I thought 6 years was pushing it already.

But I know loads of people that are smart and make decent money who just cant resist stretching themselves way too thin on this.
            If I can get 0% on an auto loan I'll stretch it out as long as possible since it's their money being held up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
              Incomes have risen at a sluggish pace in the past decade, but car prices have grown rapidly. New technological and safety features, such as larger and more sophisticated multimedia displays, have made even the most basic cars more expensive. U.S. consumers have also veered toward pricier rides such as sport-utility vehicles that tend to dominate auto showrooms. The result is that consumers are seeking bigger loans than ever to purchase a car.
              Car prices really haven't gotten out of control, but people want all of the bells and whistles. My mom bought a 2018 Ford Fiesta SE hatch brand new. Power windows, locks, mirrors, backup cam, bluetooth, good stereo. This thing would have been considered beyond loaded back in the 90's. Averages 32mpg, and is comfortable enough for 4 adults. $14k out the door.

That's not unreasonable for a car by any means, but it's basic by today's standards. Heck, she could have gotten a base model for around 10K.

Originally posted by The King View Post
              If I can get 0% on an auto loan I'll stretch it out as long as possible since it's their money being held up.
              Ding ding ding. Why front your own money when you can use the banks for free?

Comment

Something exciting and fun to drive is often not worthwhile to have around here anymore thanks to gridlocked freeways.

This is a really good point and the one exception. What I've found is that the 0% financing typically includes less rebates however.

So your purchase price is higher in the end.

Comment

Sure... That said, I’d bet most of the people financing their vehicles for 7 years aren’t getting 0%. Isn’t it relatively rare to see 0% for 60 mos? Seems I see 36-48 much more frequently.

They’re probably also the type to keep rolling over negative equity, never paying a vehicle off before the terms are up.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I had one of my dock hands get approved for a 60K F150 on a 9 year loan making $14 an hour. Luckily I was able to talk him out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
                      bro, let us have some copy and pasta over here.
                      Sorry. couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        Car prices really haven't gotten out of control, but people want all of the bells and whistles. My mom bought a 2018 Ford Fiesta SE hatch brand new. Power windows, locks, mirrors, backup cam, bluetooth, good stereo. This thing would have been considered beyond loaded back in the 90's. Averages 32mpg, and is comfortable enough for 4 adults. $14k out the door.

That's not unreasonable for a car by any means, but it's basic by today's standards. Heck, she could have gotten a base model for around 10K.
                        Maybe I'm in the minority but it seems to me that the trend toward taking out mega car loans to buy "all the bells and whistles" is a really bad idea.

Most of those bells and whistles are electronic - it will kill you financially if you have to have it fixed, and the electronic parts will dry up in just a few years because the components used to make the widgets will no longer be available.

These is one of the reasons that new cars no longer interest me. Price is another reason - $50k for a pickup truck? Insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          This is a really good point and the one exception. What I've found is that the 0% financing typically includes less rebates however.

So your purchase price is higher in the end.
                          One other exception I can think of is the necessity to carry full coverage on the vehicle during the loan period. Generally when the vehicle is paid off I drop the collision, and so far I haven't gotten burned by doing so.

Comment

One other exception I can think of is the necessity to carry full coverage on the vehicle during the loan period. Generally when the vehicle is paid off I drop the collision, and so far I haven't gotten burned by doing so.
                            Really rolling the dice if you are in the metroplex IMO.

Comment

but what are my monthly payments?

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                Sure... That said, I’d bet most of the people financing their vehicles for 7 years aren’t getting 0%. Isn’t it relatively rare to see 0% for 60 mos? Seems I see 36-48 much more frequently.

They’re probably also the type to keep rolling over negative equity, never paying a vehicle off before the terms are up.
                                The last time I financed was in 2017 through Honda, and their best rate offer at that time (0.9%) was good for up to five years. Looking at them today however, their best rate (1.9%) is limited to 24-36 months, so you are correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X