DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Pumpin' Iron

Pumpin' Iron Forum for any kind of work out discussions.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
stephen4785
Lifer

Default What supplements should I be taking?

Iv been dieting/lifting weights since Dec 1. Iv lost 35lbs and have been lifting weights 3 days a week. Im going to start lifting 4 days a week and Im wondering what I should be taking other than protein? My goal is to continue to loose weight until I can see my abs and add muscle.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
Fordblue625
Lifer

IMO, most supplements you see out there are bullshit. Creatine and black coffee should carry you through the first year or two, and by then you will either be happy with yourself or you will have developed enough body dysmorphia to consider the kind of supplements that come with a prescription.
Fordblue625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
BradM
Bad Santa

Steroids work really well.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordblue625 View Post
IMO, most supplements you see out there are bullshit.
That has been my general experience. Imho healthy eating will take you a lot further than any of those BS supplements. Never got anything more out of those supplements than I got from just cutting out the crap, (so pretty much everything you enjoy eating and drinking) and eating raw veggies, plenty of eggs, and some good homemade breads.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
stephen4785
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
That has been my general experience. Imho healthy eating will take you a lot further than any of those BS supplements. Never got anything more out of those supplements than I got from just cutting out the crap, (so pretty much everything you enjoy eating and drinking) and eating raw veggies, plenty of eggs, and some good homemade breads.
So far Iv cut out all sugar. At least anything with added sugar. Ill eat fruits and I use honey in my coffee on Saturdays(free day). Iv also started intermittent fasting for now until I drop the weight I want to get rid of. Iv been out of the loop for awhile but I remember every article I read suggested taking protein, multi vitamins, creatine, glucosamine, pre workout, bca's, etc... usually about $300 worth of crap. Seemed like too much. I also rember reading that multi vitamins are a waste as well as most of the otc stuff you see touted in magazines.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
GeorgeG.
Lifer

In my experience, 3 days of weights should be plenty for a while longer. If you do add a day in there and start to feel some joint pain, then I'd add glucosamine. I'd add creatine if you feel like you run out of steam before you're done working out, just know that it will give you some level of bloat feeling with the water retention. BCAA's are definitely a staple in my supps. I have mixed feelings about a multi vitamin. Pre-workouts, again, if you feel like you're running out of steam during your workout but proper rest and hydration should get you through this unless you have a mentally(or physically) exhausting job. I take BSN's Amino X Edge to get a little bit of caffeine. Prior to that I was taking Gaspari's Size On due to it being caffeine free.

IMO, if you want to see your abs, I'd continue with the 3 days of weights and add the rest of the days with intense cardio. That is what's going to show your abs. If you were referring to the OTC fat burners...don't waste you money. I've literally tried all of them at some point in my younger years and they are a waste as it's not something we're going to stay on. It's going to come down to dieting for about 80% of your success.
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #7
Mike
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Steroids work really well.
I feel like this post was under appreciated.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:53 PM   #8
War Machine
Lifer

Roids
War Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
BradM
Bad Santa

Get testosterone replacement therapy. It is a game changer.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #10
Big A
Lifer

All you need to hit your genetic potential is a solid diet, and protein helps if you aren't able to get enough lean meat, or in cases where convenience is needed.

I've tried it all over the 20 years I've been training, and none of it helps if your diet is shit. The only thing that truly moved the needle for muscle building was prohormones, but that was back when the good stuff was legal, I can't speak to what's available since that last ban.

For losing weight the only thing that works long-term is consistently eating healthy, and re-forming your relationship with food.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote