This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
    The Cow Creek is an easy 100 mile ride. I recommend it for first time centurians.
    Originally posted by jason07 View Post
    My fitness isnt there yet, but I am doing the 50 mile route.
    I only ride mountain with the occasional road ride, on my mountain bike. I have never really done more than 20miles. I can't even fathom doing 100 miles. However I can imagine that it's completely different on a road bike?

And for any one that cares or even knows El Paso. Since I couldn't do the 5K I was planning on doing yesterday I did a pretty monumental ride, in my world at least. I rode from the base of the mountain to the top by a trail. Then coasted down the other side on the road and back up and back down on the trail. All in all it was a 19.5 mile trip. It was tough and really tested my endurance and even mental stability. Lol! But I did it! And for those that know El Paso, it was Transmountain that I rode.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
      I only ride mountain with the occasional road ride, on my mountain bike. I have never really done more than 20miles. I can't even fathom doing 100 miles. However I can imagine that it's completely different on a road bike?

And for any one that cares or even knows El Paso. Since I couldn't do the 5K I was planning on doing yesterday I did a pretty monumental ride, in my world at least. I rode from the base of the mountain to the top by a trail. Then coasted down the other side on the road and back up and back down on the trail. All in all it was a 19.5 mile trip. It was tough and really tested my endurance and even mental stability. Lol! But I did it! And for those that know El Paso, it was Transmountain that I rode.
      Totally different on a road bike...lighter bike, less rotating mass, skinner tires (less resistance), smooth surface, etc. When I raced "sport class" in MTB, it would beat me you up quite a bit. It's hard to go fast and still have regard for your body (lol). You never really have a cadence on a MTB like you do on the road. You pretty much hammer your ass off until you get to a down hill stretch. You also use your upper body a lot more on the mountain bike. If you can comfortably do 50, it's not too much of a stretch to do 100. The tough part of the 100 is the last 20 miles. You see a lot of guys "bonk" or "hit the wall". They just flat run empty.

Comment

I visit El Paso every 3 months or so....that's a hell of a climb. Good Job!

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          Totally different on a road bike...lighter bike, less rotating mass, skinner tires (less resistance), smooth surface, etc. When I raced "sport class" in MTB, it would beat me you up quite a bit. It's hard to go fast and still have regard for your body (lol). You never really have a cadence on a MTB like you do on the road. You pretty much hammer your ass off until you get to a down hill stretch. You also use your upper body a lot more on the mountain bike. If you can comfortably do 50, it's not too much of a stretch to do 100. The tough part of the 100 is the last 20 miles. You see a lot of guys "bonk" or "hit the wall". They just flat run empty.
          Ya I totally hear ya. I've contemplated getting a cheap road bike for days that I just want to hit the road. But I just haven't gotten around to it. Truth be told if I got a road bike, I'd want it to be as good as my mountain bike. My mountain bike retails at just under $2K. So......I don't know what to do. Lol!

I visit El Paso every 3 months or so....that's a hell of a climb. Good Job!
          Thank you sir. Like I said, it was tough!! I think what made it so difficult was the fact that it was pretty hot. It had to have been in the low to mid 90's on Sunday. I got pretty sunburned. Lol! And not to mention that I was the only idiot cycling at that time of day. That should have told me lots about the journey I had in front of me.

Comment

I am doing the following rides this Spring/Summer:

May 28th-Honey Tour Burleson http://honeytour.athlete360.com/
            June 25th-Cow Creek Country Classic Waxahachie http://www.cowcreekcountryclassic.or...011LogoNew.png
            July 30th-Goatneck Cleburne http://www.active.com/register/index...465&CHECKSSO=0

I did the Head for the Hills ride last week in Cedar Hill which was great. I plan on doing a few more than the rides listed above but these are all for sure rides for me.

Honey tour is one of the best rides. I really enjoyed it.

Cow Creek is ok, nice and flat but lots of chip seal for the first 15-20 miles.

Goatneck has a few tough hills. Not to bad though.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
              Honey tour is one of the best rides. I really enjoyed it.

Cow Creek is ok, nice and flat but lots of chip seal for the first 15-20 miles.

Goatneck has a few tough hills. Not to bad though.
              I did the Goatneck last year I struggled on a couple of the hills last year. I am looking forward to it again this year to see how much better I do.

Comment

I think I am going to try and do the Cross Timbers on saturday. I fly in from london today and have to fly to houston saturday afternoon. I am still not sure just yet. I want to go but have to be at the airport by 3 on saturday.

Comment

Ok so due to procrastination and relying on the wrong people to pull it together I will NOT be doing the 5K this Sunday. I am pretty dissapointed by that. But I WILL be looking for another run to do very soon. I WILL do a run before summer ends that's for sure!
                  http://www.firemens5k.com/
                  May 28th, Memorial Day weekend.

It's a pretty good road course. Some small hills to it, and a lot of fun to run. I ran my fastest 5k time on this course, in the rain. Lemme know if you're going to run it, I'm going to try and get the first part of my shift covered so I can run it.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post

It's a pretty good road course. Some small hills to it, and a lot of fun to run. I ran my fastest 5k time on this course, in the rain. Lemme know if you're going to run it, I'm going to try and get the first part of my shift covered so I can run it.
                    I appreciate the consideration brotha. But the truth is that I live in El Paso. And unfortunately I have no immediate plans to visit the DF-dub. Thanks again.

Comment

Sorry, I skipped right over that detail. Anybody else that wants to go, your registration goes up a couple bucks after today.

Comment

Bike the Brick on Friday night in Mckinney. If you can't race come out and watch. Its a good time.
                        Burleson Honey tour this saturday. Great ride. I will be doing the 100k.

Comment

Currently training for the Firefighter Olympics in July in Round Rock this year. Shooting to pass my 198lb world records but i may go up to 220lb this year and take those. :cool:
                          www.LockoutSupplements.com
                          discount code = dfwmustangs

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post

Damn, im on shift Saturday as well.
                            www.LockoutSupplements.com
                            discount code = dfwmustangs

Comment

The Susan G Komen 5K is in Plano on 6-11 at the EDS campus. I'm registered, but now have to work out of town that weekend.

I ran it last year and it was a blast. HUGE turnout, and lots of freebies, plus it's for a great cause.

Lot's of hot chicks in short shorts.... get behind one and use that as motivation to run

Comment

Firefly is just 5 days away! Good luck to all competing!

I plan to hit a target time in the 25s with a goal time around 24. I haven't been training like I should but shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully we don't have to put up with this fucking wind.

Comment

Working...
                                X