Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops upset about being treated like citizens

Belleville Police Banned From Denny’s

Posted on: 6:16 pm, January 2, 2013, by Roche Madden, updated on: 06:22pm, January 2, 2013

BELLEVILLE, MO (KTVI)– The Belleville Chief of Police has banned his officers from eating at the local Denny’s restaurant while on duty after an incident at the establishment New Year’s Day. A manager at the Denny’s Tuesday told a group of officers they could not eat at the restaurant if they were armed. Belleville Police Captain Don sax said, “It’s absolutely a slap in the face I totally agree it’s completely disrespectful. How can anyone think to tell a police officer you can’t be in here with your gun its absurd to me.”

Five on-duty but out of uniform detectives were in the middle of their meal at the Denny’s. The restaurant chain said a customer spotted one of the officers carrying a gun and alerted the manager. The manager told the detective she would have to leave or secure the gun in her car, that guns are not allowed in Denny’s. Even after the officers explained they were cops they were still told they could not carry their weapons in the business. Captain Sax said, “I’ve never known anybody that didn’t want a police officer present in an establishment in a business it’s added security it’s absolutely what they want.”

Sax said the police had their badges in full view, either by their handguns or they were wearing them around their necks. Plus, portable police radios were on the table. A second manager showed up and told the officers they could stay with their weapons. But, the detectives left anyway. Captain Sax added, “They had been harassed enough they have been embarrassed more than enough.”

Local citizens like Jennifer Veri support the police, Veri said, “You want them to be with their guns that makes them cops so they can protect the public.”

Denny released a statement that said in part “Denny’s policy permits law enforcement officials to carry their firearms in the restaurant and we regret any misunderstanding.”

Some people plan to stay away from Denny’s just like the police. Eric Veri said, “I won’t go to Denny’s until they resolve it with the Belleville Police Dept. they are working out here hard for us definitely support them.” The police chief wants to sit down with Denny’s officials and resolve the matter. He planned to handle the matter discreetly but it became public on the internet and spread quickly. Officers will go to Denny’s if they receive a service call.

KPLR 11 The CW is St. Louis’ CW network affiliate, programming 17 hours of news and a strong schedule of sports and entertainment.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Who wants to eat at Denny's anyways? They were done a favor...

Comment

Dumbass people. I'd avoid that place out of principle.

Comment

Mouth breathers unite!
        www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          Dumbass people. I'd avoid that place out of principle.
          Do you even have one of your restaurants over there?

Comment

Whoever wrote the article needs to go back to 6th grade and take a writing class. Whichever "manager or trainee manager" told on-duty detectives they had to leave should have been arrested for interfering with law enforcement and ALSO fired on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              Whoever wrote the article needs to go back to 6th grade and take a writing class. Whichever "manager or trainee manager" told on-duty detectives they had to leave should have been arrested for interfering with law enforcement and ALSO fired on the spot.
              Interfering with law enforcement? Lmfao dude they were eating not conducting a raid.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                Interfering with law enforcement? Lmfao dude they were eating not conducting a raid.
                They were eating...but they could have been talking about anything going on that night that required planning. Regardless how you may see it...or any other anti-gun dumbasses....walking up to a GROUP of on-duty police officers and telling them they have to leave a public place because they are carrying guns is not only A. assinine, but B. asking for trouble.
                If it were someones backyard, or living room, or a church...sure I could agree that they should go elsewhere...but a fucking Denny's restaurant? One of the biggest targets of late night armed robbery in this country? They should consider themselves lucky that police would choose to eat that overpriced slop they call food and lower the chance of any crime happening while there.

Comment

Pretty shitty move on the part of the Denny's manager. I bet they get shit canned.

Comment

Originally posted by UserX View Post
                    Pretty shitty move on the part of the Denny's manager. I bet they get shit canned.
                    First, Denny's hated nigs, now, they hate pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      They were eating...but they could have been talking about anything going on that night that required planning. Regardless how you may see it...or any other anti-gun dumbasses....walking up to a GROUP of on-duty police officers and telling them they have to leave a public place because they are carrying guns is not only A. assinine, but B. asking for trouble.
                      If it were someones backyard, or living room, or a church...sure I could agree that they should go elsewhere...but a fucking Denny's restaurant? One of the biggest targets of late night armed robbery in this country? They should consider themselves lucky that police would choose to eat that overpriced slop they call food and lower the chance of any crime happening while there.
                      surely you arent inferring I'm an anti-gun dumbass?
                      And regardless how you see it, a private business can tell anyone to gtfo for whatever reason, regardless of their profession.

Sure it was fuckered up, but nothing warranted an arrest.. that's the only asinine thing posted.

Comment

I see it as they are asking police to obey the same laws citizens must. That badge doesnt' make you special. You want to eat at a gun unfriendly location, leave it in the car.
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          I see it as they are asking police to obey the same laws citizens must. That badge doesnt' make you special. You want to eat at a gun unfriendly location, leave it in the car.
                          Dude even Dennys said they allow LEOs to carry and it was a misunderstanding.

Comment

surely you arent inferring I'm an anti-gun dumbass?
                            Nope, but it sounds like an argument they might make.

And regardless how you see it, a private business can tell anyone to gtfo for whatever reason, regardless of their profession.
                            Might be true but its not a good idea to piss off and fuck with the people that protect you.

Sure it was fuckered up, but nothing warranted an arrest.. that's the only asinine thing posted.
                            Depends on how the officers present were approached and spoken to. Police officers have a lot of freedom in coming up with charges.

Comment

Belleville Capt. Donald Sax said restaurant manager David Rice then approached and told one of the detectives that a diner had complained about seeing one of the detectives carrying a gun.

Even though the detective told Rice all at the table were police officers, Rice insisted the detectives take their guns back out to their cars, Sax said.

According to Sax, Rice then told the officers that it is company policy to allow only uniformed officers to carry their guns into a restaurant and that a sign on the door stated that policy.

The officers all got up to leave, refusing to pay for their meal. As they were leaving, Sax said a Denny’s general manager, Michael Van, approached the group. He told them Rice was wrong and it was fine for them to stay and to keep their guns.

The detectives, whom Sax described as “embarrassed” by the incident, decided to leave anyway. Sax said the detectives made a point to check the door on their way out.

“There was no sign on the door (regarding firearms),” Sax said. “They all looked for it.”

Belleville Police Chief William Clay later issued an order to his troops, banning them from eating at that Denny’s when they are on duty or when they’re off duty and still in uniform. Off-duty and out of uniform, officers can eat where they want.

Belleville police also issued a press release, naming the managers and pinning the incident on “political stupidness.”

“This was an insult, a slap in the face to those detectives and to all of the men and women who proudly wear the uniform or badge and serve in law enforcement,” Clay said in the press release.

THATS A BADASS POLICE CHIEF. SCREW DENNYS

Of course, officers will still show up if Denny’s calls for some kind of emergency, police said.

The Denny’s managers, Rice and Van, were not available for comment. Corporate spokesperson Liz DiTrapano called the situation “a misunderstanding” and said there is no ban on armed officers.

“Obviously, all law enforcement officers are permitted to carry their firearms in our restaurants,” she said.

Belleville police said they would be following up with Denny’s management about the restaurant’s policies.

Comment

Working...
                              X