DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Pumpin' Iron

Pumpin' Iron Forum for any kind of work out discussions.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #21
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE
VIP Member

I actually completely agree with what he's saying.

Same goes for mobility. Fuckers never stretch. Not like a "touch your toes before going for a run" thing, but with a foam roller, lacrosse ball, etc and actually work out the tight spots and mobilize. I used to be that guy who just wanted to bang heavy weights, but after I did crossfit for a while and started in oly lifts I realized how "big picture" it all is.

Good example is when I learned how tight my hips were and how badly that was fucking my squats, hurting my knees, hurting my lower back etc. Getting that fixed and working on fundamentals changed things. Then came wrist flexibility and getting in to a good front rack position...

Yeah, I agree with him 100%.
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
slow99
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Good example is when I learned how tight my hips were and how badly that was fucking my squats, hurting my knees, hurting my lower back etc. Getting that fixed and working on fundamentals changed things.
How did you correct it? My hips are unbelievably tight - I've only noticed it since doing the Shaun T workouts the last year. I don't believe they were that tight back in the day; I honestly haven't done the kind of workout to keep them loose in 19 years.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.
slow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #23
matts5.0
Thug Lifer

Stretching, Google tight hips while squatting, there are a shit ton of videos on it.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #24
Strychnine
UNFUCKWITHABLE
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
How did you correct it? My hips are unbelievably tight - I've only noticed it since doing the Shaun T workouts the last year. I don't believe they were that tight back in the day; I honestly haven't done the kind of workout to keep them loose in 19 years.
I actually started with a few trips to Airrosti. It's a sports rehab group that will help you get a jumpstart on fixing this stuff. 3 or 4 sessions with them (covered by insurance) was a life saver.

The couch stretch did the most for me. Sitting all day will tighten up your psoas muscles like a bitch. That's likely where you need to start mobilizing and working.

There's no way you'll be able to get into this position out of the gate. Your front leg will likely not be 90* and your back leg sure as fuck won't be this bent...

pigeon pose
definitely helped me too.

also look here: https://yogainternational.com/articl...n-in-the-psoas
Strychnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #25
slow99
Genetically Blessed

Thanks man. Yeah I guess years of sitting at a desk did a number on me. I'm doing that pigeon now with one of my stretch routines and it's pretty awesome.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.
slow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #26
lincolnboy
By da people fo da people

Quote:
Totally agree with these guys for getting them up..
Thats what she says
lincolnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #27
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!

Quote:
I actually started with a few trips to Airrosti. It's a sports rehab group that will help you get a jumpstart on fixing this stuff. 3 or 4 sessions with them (covered by insurance) was a life saver.

The couch stretch did the most for me. Sitting all day will tighten up your psoas muscles like a bitch. That's likely where you need to start mobilizing and working.

There's no way you'll be able to get into this position out of the gate. Your front leg will likely not be 90* and your back leg sure as fuck won't be this bent...

pigeon pose
definitely helped me too.

also look here: https://yogainternational.com/articl...n-in-the-psoas
Fuck. You.
I had no concept of how tight I was/am.
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #28
Big A
Lifer

I'm doing better than I thought I would, I do a form of the couch stretch on leg day to focus on the quad, but it gets that Psoas pretty good. I think I'll start doing the actual couch stretch before I head up there now, and it's leg day today.

Fuck that pigeon stretch though, but because my gluteus tendons and greater trochanter are tight as hell (front leg/hip extensors). Lots of work to be done there.
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #29
lincolnboy

So remember the days i could curl 50lb dumbbells.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #30
GRAYHORSE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
No spotter is needed for getting into position.
For flat bench....I usually just stand up from a deadlift position with the heavier DB's and then set them on my legs and sit down. I then pull them towards me so they are on the upper part of my legs(close to the hips). Then all you have to do is lean back/roll with them in hand and plant your feet and twist the bottom of the dumbbells outwards and you're set.
^this. Comes with a nice pop of your back as you roll back as well.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #31
lincolnboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
and now I feel like a bitch (300 NOT heavy...)
i was so excited when i first maxed at 300, what a great day that was. Nowaday probably not even close to 300 mark, slowly lifting but only have a 45# dumbbell.

what lift workout are ya doing with just dumbbells.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #32
GeorgeG.
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnboy View Post
i was so excited when i first maxed at 300, what a great day that was. Nowaday probably not even close to 300 mark, slowly lifting but only have a 45# dumbbell.

what lift workout are ya doing with just dumbbells.
incline and flat chest press
shoulder presses
squats and calf raises
curls
tricep extensions
incline/flat reverse fly's
rear deltoid row
incline deltoid row

Obviously some of those may be difficult with #45's but I was just listing some of the moves I do.
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #33
kingjason
Notorious PIG

One of my funniest moments in the gym had to do with 120 lb dumbbells. I was kind of sweaty to say the least. I used my knees to rock the weights up and into place sorta. I slid right off the back and left side of the bench with the weights bouncing everywhere. Oh I had a good laugh.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #34
lincolnboy

Over achiever,. Bet everyone there had a good laugh as well.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #35
SS Junk
Lifer

Just make sure to drop them from either the top of your last rep or at chest level, like a fucking bauce.
SS Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #36
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnboy View Post
Over achiever,. Bet everyone there had a good laugh as well.
I am down to around 95-100's that was about two years ago. It was 2am or so and the girl at the front was like WTF was that. Been back on the bike the last few weeks and can't get the motivation to go to the gym and lift. 17 years now give or take since I was 370's and the motivation to drive to Cedar Hill is sliding. I will say working nights does wonders for my lifting as I love going at night when there are just a few stragglers. Slated for days another year or so, so we shall see.

I like the stretching tips guys I am going to start doing a lot more of this. My Planter Fasciitis on my left foot has been bothering me a little lately. I think it is tight hammys, calf muscle and my fucked up gate. Gonna give that couch stretch a shot in a minute. My wife is a athletic trainer and beats my ass every now and again stretching me.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #37
GeorgeG.
Lifer

I figured I'd give an update to this thread. After being out of commission for the longest damn time due to tennis elbow, I can finally lift again. I've been focusing more on dumbbells instead of the bar for bench presses. Seems like not having my arms anchored to the bar during the lift just feels better.

First off, commercial equipment makes all the difference. Of course, we all knew that, lol.

Anyhow, I've been improving my core during this time and backed the weight down prior to the tennis elbow. Today I decided to see what I can do. I was hoping to grab a flat bench but they were being used and the guys were taking their time with them so I grabbed an incline bench.

I started with the dip machine and some pushups to get warmed up. Then the following.

7 x 60 lb DB's
7 x 65 lb
7 x 70 lb
7 x 75 lb
3 x 80 lb

I was pretty pumped about lifting 80's. I tried 85's but I was spent. Thinking back now, I think I should have went in 10 lb increments and do way less reps. That's what I'm going to shoot for next time. I'd like to see what my 1 rep max is. Anyway, it felt damn good
GeorgeG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #38
R1psycho
Scrubbing bloodstains

I always go up in 10# increments and listen to my body. Once I get to the point that form is terrible, I drop back down. I prefer db over bar lifts. It seems to hit what I'm aiming for better. Keep on progressing and don't get in a big hurry on moving up.