DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > The Garage > Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
kingjason
Notorious PIG
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down South
Posts: 7,774
Default Where to start! 300 ZX Turbo

I am more of a 240z guy butttttt I am sucker for a good deal. Supposedly it was running but getting hot when parked umpteen years ago. I am going to clean it up and really look it over to decide if it will be a fun little keeper, or just to sell it because it is too much work for a car I am not really in love with. Honestly I have never worked on one of these so I kind of like a challenge. Plus mom has a guy that told her he would paint it for free. Maybe a cheap little fun car. I do like it has manual gauges and not the digital dash. I figured one of you guys know the in and outs of this year. Fairly straight though and the wheels are in good shape.





__________________
Whos your Daddy?
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,853
Default

you couldnt melt one of those an pour it on me.
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Shaggin Wagon
Shaggin'
VIP Member
 
Shaggin Wagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Colony
Posts: 6,174
Default

My ex has one (1987) thats way cleaner that she may sell, been siting for ten years, but in very good shape, bad transmission though.
Shaggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Craizie
Not very WOKE
VIP Member
 
Craizie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 12,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
I am more of a 240z guy butttttt I am sucker for a good deal. Supposedly it was running but getting hot when parked umpteen years ago. I am going to clean it up and really look it over to decide if it will be a fun little keeper, or just to sell it because it is too much work for a car I am not really in love with. Honestly I have never worked on one of these so I kind of like a challenge. Plus mom has a guy that told her he would paint it for free. Maybe a cheap little fun car. I do like it has manual gauges and not the digital dash. I figured one of you guys know the in and outs of this year. Fairly straight though and the wheels are in good shape.





Sell that and buy my 240. It runs!
Craizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:54 PM   #5
Sean88gt
Avenge Me!
 
Sean88gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 46,591
Default

Burn it.
Sean88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #6
kingjason
Notorious PIG
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down South
Posts: 7,774
Default

Actually I just like a car in my driveway at all times! Just clean it up for a nice stage prop. Driveway art!
__________________
Whos your Daddy?
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
ram57ta
Lifer
 
ram57ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 7,976
Default

I've known 3 people that had those....they are a pain in the ass. More wiring than an Airbus A380, they overheat, they rattle, the electronic suspension is junk, they only make 200hp (they aren't that fast) although you CAN pull some decent power out of that motor if you wanna spend the money. They were famous for engine fires because of fuel leaks..parts are expensive and getting hard to find. I had someone offer to give me one in better shape for FREE 10 years ago (engine fire) and I turned it down. I would run from that car Jason. Not walk...RUN.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #8
kingjason
Notorious PIG
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down South
Posts: 7,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
I've known 3 people that had those....they are a pain in the ass. More wiring than an Airbus A380, they overheat, they rattle, the electronic suspension is junk, they only make 200hp (they aren't that fast) although you CAN pull some decent power out of that motor if you wanna spend the money. They were famous for engine fires because of fuel leaks..parts are expensive and getting hard to find. I had someone offer to give me one in better shape for FREE 10 years ago (engine fire) and I turned it down. I would run from that car Jason. Not walk...RUN.
It was free. But seriously I do like a car in the driveway. I don't mind cleaning it up a bit.
__________________
Whos your Daddy?
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #9
ram57ta
Lifer
 
ram57ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 7,976
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
It was free. But seriously I do like a car in the driveway. I don't mind cleaning it up a bit.
Free is better than having to pay. I guess at least the tires hold air
I wish you luck on that project. If you do try to run it pay close attention to the fuel injectors for leaks or shorted wiring.
ram57ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
BradM
Bad Santa
 
BradM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,191
Default

I would start by pushing it into an intersection so the cops will tow it and save you the towing fee.
BradM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #11
BMCSean
Always lurking
 
BMCSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Argyle
Posts: 5,622
Default

I would swap an LS into it and get on street outlaws.
BMCSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #12
Baron Von Crowder
asshole with an opinion
VIP Member
 
Baron Von Crowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Venus
Posts: 23,853
Default

many years back when I was a nissan tech, I had the unfortunate luck of drawing one very similar to that one, been sitting in a shed, grandpa bought it new and gave it to the grandson. Dad of the grandson brought it to the dealership to have us try to figure out why it had a mess of an electrical system. We did our best to get the guy to take it somewhere else, but he was adamant about having factory trained nissan techs work on it. No matter that none of use had ever worked on one of them, nor had any training on that model.

We found rat chewed wiring EVERYWHERE. The only option we could do (because none of use were willing to take the entire harness apart and patch the wiring) was to do a new harness, and there was, unfortunately, one available. He jumped on it. Another tech helped, and we cussed that car for two days. I think his bill was north of 3k, and the harness was actually pretty cheap.
__________________
"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford
Baron Von Crowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 AM   #13
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Badstreet USA
Posts: 24,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram57ta View Post
If you do try to run it pay close attention to the fuel injectors for leaks or shorted wiring.
a friend in college had his car burn up due to this.

sidenote: after the fire it still looked nicer than this one.

god bless.
__________________
It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass
ELVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #14
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member
 
svauto-erotic855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
a friend in college had his car burn up due to this.

sidenote: after the fire it still looked nicer than this one.

god bless.
Call the dealer with the VIN; there is still an open recall for the injectors and fuel lines.

I had one of these and threw the entire HKS catalog at it and it was still slow but fast for it's era I guess.
__________________
Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.
svauto-erotic855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #15
BMCSean
Always lurking
 
BMCSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Argyle
Posts: 5,622
Default

Of course SVO is JDM as fuck!
BMCSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #16
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member
 
svauto-erotic855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMCSean View Post
Of course SVO is JDM as fuck!
I currently own 3 RX-7s and 1 RX-8 but have never been a fan of the JDM style gimmicks.

FYI: I bought my first SVO in the early 90's because I modded the fuck out of my 944 Turbo and it pretty much became a track only car for a few years. The SVO was meant to be my daily driver.
__________________
Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.
svauto-erotic855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #17
Z06killinsbf
Half drunk 'n hollow eyed
 
Z06killinsbf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: McKinney
Posts: 7,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Call the dealer with the VIN; there is still an open recall for the injectors and fuel lines.

I had one of these and threw the entire HKS catalog at it and it was still slow but fast for it's era I guess.
They had these in Grand Tourismo?
__________________
Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build
Z06killinsbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #18
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member
 
svauto-erotic855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
They had these in Grand Tourismo?
Beats me. I haven't played a video game since "Asteroids" was a cool one.
__________________
Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.
svauto-erotic855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 AM   #19
kingjason
Notorious PIG
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Down South
Posts: 7,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
Call the dealer with the VIN; there is still an open recall for the injectors and fuel lines.

I had one of these and threw the entire HKS catalog at it and it was still slow but fast for it's era I guess.
Could you see their faces if I dropped this off for a recall?
__________________
Whos your Daddy?
kingjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #20
svauto-erotic855
I know everything, I'm older than you
VIP Member
 
svauto-erotic855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason View Post
Could you see their faces if I dropped this off for a recall?
They will not mind. The dealers still have the recall parts kits laying around and book time for the repair was pretty good.
__________________
Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.
svauto-erotic855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:45 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.