Two stroke question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two stroke question

I’ve got a 2 stroke stihl backpack blower that has started flawlessly for the past 9 years. The other day I went to pull start it and it felt locked up. I pulled the plug and pulled it again. Gas spewed everywhere. I kept pulling it until it didn’t spew anymore. Put the plug back in and it won’t start. I’m thinking I should just buy a new carb for it. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
    I’ve got a 2 stroke stihl backpack blower that has started flawlessly for the past 9 years. The other day I went to pull start it and it felt locked up. I pulled the plug and pulled it again. Gas spewed everywhere. I kept pulling it until it didn’t spew anymore. Put the plug back in and it won’t start. I’m thinking I should just buy a new carb for it. Any thoughts?
    Sounds like a diaphragm dry rotted in the carb and is letting gas pour into the motor. Carbs on those things are pretty simple - if you can find a rebuild kit for it and you are comfortable taking it apart it should be an easy fix. I just checked and there are youtube videos and articles on google that show you how to fix it.

The other option is to replace the carb or have someone repair it for you, but thats going to cost more.

Comment

I’ve pulled many a 2 stroke carbs apart. I can usually get them to run again but never like they did when they were new. I’ve never been good at getting them adjusted out.

If you think it’s just the diaphragm I’ll tackle that. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

You can thank the shitty ethanol crappy fuel. Probably white death! If you look inside the carb and see a bunch white crust that is the white death. I only run tru fuel in my small engine 2 stroke machines

Comment

This thing has started on the 2nd pull every time for the past 9 years. I had just used it a couple of days before it shit the bed. I was awefully disappointed when it wouldn’t start.

Comment

This thing has started on the 2nd pull every time for the past 9 years. I had just used it a couple of days before it shit the bed. I was awefully disappointed when it wouldn’t start.
            could have just shit the bed too, if you have a compression gauge toss it on there before you dig in

Comment

I bought a tune up kit with a new carb, air filter, fuel filter, fuel lines, and spark plug for $22 on Amazon.

I do have a compression tester but I’m confident it does have compression since it hydro locks itself when flooded.

Hopefully this fixes it.

Comment

I changed the spark plug, fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, and carb. Wouldn’t start. Then I took the diaphragm out of the new carb and put it in the old one.

Now it starts but will dies if you give it throttle. If you feather it, you can get it to climb up but will not go wide open throttle. Smokes like hell from the muffler when you shut it off, like it’s hot as hell.

When I pulled the fuel line off the carb - fuel pours out of the fuel line. Open the filler and it stops. Open the filler while it’s running and it dies.

Wtf? Maybe the vent on the tank is clogged?

Comment

Sounds like the hi and low needles need to be reset.
                  Hi jet sets Hi RPM
                  Low sets the throttle response.

Comment

Just FYI - I took a nearly new DR Trimmer and an older lawnmower to a guy I found on Craigslist (small engine repair). Neither of them would run and he got them both running like a champ (first pull every time but it's only been a couple of weeks) for a grand total of $90.

He said he pulled the carb out of both, rebuilt them and replaced various gaskets and O-rings as needed. The local lawnmower repair should would've charged me 3x what he did, based on past experience.

If you end up needing help, this guy could be the ticket. He's in Mesquite near 635/80.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                      Just FYI - I took a nearly new DR Trimmer and an older lawnmower to a guy I found on Craigslist (small engine repair). Neither of them would run and he got them both running like a champ (first pull every time but it's only been a couple of weeks) for a grand total of $90.

He said he pulled the carb out of both, rebuilt them and replaced various gaskets and O-rings as needed. The local lawnmower repair should would've charged me 3x what he did, based on past experience.

If you end up needing help, this guy could be the ticket. He's in Mesquite near 635/80.
                      Dude named John? If so I found him on CL. This might be the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
                        Sounds like the hi and low needles need to be reset.
                        Hi jet sets Hi RPM
                        Low sets the throttle response.
                        How’d they get off? It ran fine a week before it started acting up.

Comment

Junk in the fuel, float level change, the little diaphragm fuel pump etc.
                          Adjusting the hi lo isn't hard..

Comment

Dude named John? If so I found him on CL. This might be the way to go.
                            Yes, his name is John. Friendly guy. He took a couple of days off work when he had my stuff because he had so many to work on.

Comment

Is the spark arrestor clean? (Little screen I the muffler) if not, remove it and torch the fuck out of it. I’ve had several clogged spark arrestors make mine not be able to give throttle. At least worth looking into
                              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X