• Show
Clear All

• A/V zones?

Anyone good/excellent with this?
    sigpic
    Tags:

be a little more specific

Comment

I basically need to be taken through the setup..

I read a few tutorials, and there's actually a guide that's almost identical to what I need but for the hell of me I cant get it to work. I almost think that my receiver is busted, but it may be my brain.

I have a Pioneer VSX 1124-k and want 3 channels hooked up to sound coming from my tv and 2 speakers over at my PC.

3 speakers to the tv (R,L,C) Main Zone using digital optical from the tv

2 speakers to pc (SB set to L,R stereo) Zone 2 using HDMI from the computer

So I've got as far as setting up multi zone (I think)
      Labeling and assigning inputs (Main Digi Opt / Zone 2 HDMI)
      I can see signal being put out by the computer and TV and I'm in multi zone. I can select different volumes but zone 2 does not come out the SB or B channel or anything. Just main.

The more I type the more I realize unless you are here or have this exact model receiver no one can help me but Ill try anything.
      sigpic

Comment

This is almost a step by step guide but the model is a year newer and its not long or hard... I followed it but at the end like I said there's no sound from zone 2. If I select the normal input with multizone off, it plays through all the speakers like normal so I have signal.

I tried reassigning inputs around with my digi optical with no luck but individually everything is ok.

sigpic

Comment

Try hooking up zone 2 with analog audio cables. Most AV receivers wont down convert or strip audio from HDMI for zone 2. I admittedly haven't had time to research whether yours will or not.

Comment

I could do MAIN zone that way but zone 2 would have to be HDMI.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
              This is almost a step by step guide but the model is a year newer and its not long or hard... I followed it but at the end like I said there's no sound from zone 2. If I select the normal input with multizone off, it plays through all the speakers like normal so I have signal.

I tried reassigning inputs around with my digi optical with no luck but individually everything is ok.

http://www.nextstepaudioenhancement....30-k-receiver/
              I didn't look at the manual/guide you posted, but try this. Is your zone 2 configured to be an amplified signal or not? I seem to remember a Harman Kardon I had about 8 or 9 years ago wasn't producing sound in zone 2 which had speakers connected to the SB outputs (still had 5.1 in den). I finally figured it out that it could only power 5 speakers and needed an amp for the other 2 that were in zone 2. There may be a setting with your receiver to send an amplified or non-amplified signal to zone 2.

Comment

I could do MAIN zone that way but zone 2 would have to be HDMI.
                Per their manual on page 30

"It is not possible to down-convert the audio input signal from the HDMI input terminals or digital input terminals (OPTICAL
                and COAXIAL) and output them to ZONE 2."

Comment

well thanks man, that's the problem
                  sigpic

Comment

If you don't have any analog outputs to use you can use a digital to analog converter. Gefen makes one. The one they sell on mono price will also do the trick just fine. If you have HDMI output only there are converters that strip sound from HDMI and dishes it out analog as well. Zuum media makes one...I've had mixed results with it though.

Comment

So I should use analog rca only for zone setup?
                      sigpic

Comment

So I should use analog rca only for zone setup?
                        That's your best option since your receiver doesn't do D to A, or have a digital input for Zone 2. There are plenty of receivers out there now that have digital inputs for 2nd Zone audio if you don't mind upgrading. Just make sure to do your research before buying...many still don't.

Comment

OK THANKS. I don't mind using RCA. I'm going to try HDMI main and rca zone 2 tomorrow and if that doesn't work, rca for both zones.
                          sigpic

Comment

that did it thanks.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon-k View Post
                              That's your best option since your receiver doesn't do D to A, or have a digital input for Zone 2. There are plenty of receivers out there now that have digital inputs for 2nd Zone audio if you don't mind upgrading. Just make sure to do your research before buying...many still don't.
                              I knew it used to be that way, I'm surprised it still is in most cases. I've been out if the resi game for a while.

Glad you were able to get it ironed out.

Comment

Working...
                              X