Pentagon Mulls Cutting Danger Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentagon Mulls Cutting Danger Pay

Well, in the latest FU measure to the troops, the Pentagon is considering making a comparatively tiny budget cut at the expense of the very troops that they claim to support. I wouldn't be surprised to see them want to also end the tax-exclusion for the same troops, all-in-all costing each service member thousands a year. Way to boost morale, guys. "The two things you don't mess with are food and pay"...I forgot where I heard that, but it is VERY true.
    http://www.ijreview.com/2013/07/6480...rans-overseas/

The Pentagon has a great plan for saving $120 million in what is a cash-strapped government that only spends $3.6 trillion a year. Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of American soldiers serving overseas.

Fox News covered what could turn out to be a real blow to our bravest men and women:

The Pentagon is eyeing plans to eliminate danger pay for service members in as many as 18 countries and five waterways around the world, saving about $120 million each year while taking a bite out of troops’ salaries, The Associated Press has learned.

Senior defense and military leaders are expected to meet later this week to review the matter and are poised to approve a new plan. Pentagon press secretary George Little declined to discuss details but said no final decisions have been made.

Senior military leaders came up with the proposed list of locations in their regions that no longer were perilous enough to warrant danger pay, including several countries in the heart of the tumultuous Middle East, such as Jordan, where hundreds of troops have recently deployed because of the bloody Syrian civil war on its border.

So, we’re not even talking about billions and billions of dollars. The total savings come to only $120 million — the exact amount of the IRS’ $50 million for conferences and goofy videos and $70 million dollars in bonuses combined.

That’s not to mention the roughly $1.5 billion the U.S. sends in foreign aid to Egypt every year; and will continue to send, despite the military coup d’etat of the Muslim Brotherhood-led government (Senator Rand Paul has proposed slashing the aid).

The hazard pay is also less than the value of the four F-16s that are still being sent to Egypt (each worth anywhere from $14 million – $18 million) and an $83 million upgrade of the “Cairo West Air Base.”

Nevertheless, our soldiers serving overseas will face a serious hit to their bottom lines:

Defense officials said the proposal would strip the stipend — which can be up to $225 per month — from as many as 56,000 service members, including thousands stationed in Kuwait, which was a key hub during the Iraq war. It also would affect thousands of sailors who routinely travel through the Persian Gulf region on ships or airmen who fly over the Gulf.

The $225 monthly cut in pay would come regardless of the service member’s base salary, which can range from a low of roughly $18,000 a year for a brand new recruit to a high of nearly $235,000 a year for a four-star general with more than 40 years in the military. Troops also can receive a variety of other allowances for housing, clothing or job specialties.

That’s great, bureaucrats and Democrats. Let’s not bother with reforming the multi-trillion dollar entitlement state, but pretend that $120 million hazard pay slash is a must under the 2.4% budget trim known as “sequestration.”

The Obama administration has a curious relationship with veterans. On the one hand, the President enjoys posing with soldiers for photo ops during elections. On the other hand, his administration doesn’t make sure military votes count, scraps fireworks for soldiers (even when local businesses offer to provide them for free), cuts hot meals for soldiers in Afghanistan, and temporarily suspends care for wounded warriors under sequestration.

Okay, I guess that makes… two dirty hands. My bad.

Washington D.C. is a disgrace and even contemplating some nonsense like this shows that some bureaucrats and politicians need to have their heads examined for any sign of brain activity.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

While defense spending needs to be cut drastically, this is absolutely not the way to do it. What a bunch of idiots.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
      While defense spending needs to be cut drastically, this is absolutely not the way to do it. What a bunch of idiots.
      Yep. Don't fuck with the boots, cut pet projects.

Comment

Complete bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

If they're going with this, it should start with non combat branches first (Air Force, Navy as they aren't usually boots on ground engaging the enemy) then go for non combat MOS' and then finally go for anyone not involved in a country currently declared a war zone.

It's BS
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
            If they're going with this, it should start with non combat branches first (Air Force, Navy as they aren't usually boots on ground engaging the enemy) then go for non combat MOS' and then finally go for anyone not involved in a country currently declared a war zone.

It's BS
            Plenty of people in Army and Corps that aren't in combat roles, and plenty of people from Navy and AF are in "combat" roles.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
              Plenty of people in Army and Corps that aren't in combat roles, and plenty of people from Navy and AF are in "combat" roles.
              Yeah, I was going to let the comment go. I've seen plenty of AF/Navy REMFs going on patrols and doing other things. At least enough for the spirit of the pay.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
                Which is why I lined it out like I did, recognizing that there are combat troops in all branches. You cut the majority of the Navy and AF from combat pay because by their very nature (planes, ships) they aren't engaged in face to face combat. Then you go through all branches and remove all non combat troops combat pay, leaving the actual war fighters with combat pay. If that doesn't work, you cut back every combat mos combat pay for all troops NOT in a war zone. You do all of that before you cut actual combat troop pay in combat areas.

Comment

It's amazing how many Army cooks and truck drivers are jump qualified. They even sell it to trainees in AIT, it's free money!

Comment

Or....we could just cut this:

A total of 650,000 civilian employees are now being furloughed at U.S. military bases in response to sequester cuts -- but the Department of Defense is still spending millions to protect fuzzy critters.
                    Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) in Washington state just received a $3.5 million department grant to purchase land around the base in an effort to protect the Mazama pocket gopher, a species that has not even been listed as endangered or threatened.
                    The expense is not sitting well with furloughed workers.
                    "That really makes me mad that they would do that," said Matt Hines, one of 10,000 civilian employees forced to take a 20 percent pay cut. "I'm all for saving animals, but at what cost?"
                    Under REPI (Readiness and Environmental Protection Initiative), the Department of Defense and other federal agencies have spent $397 million to protect 264,000 acres around bases since 2003.
                    Sarah Hamman, from the Center for National Lands Management, has been tracking the Mazama pocket gopher in the prairie land around JBLM and says the military's involvement has been critical.
                    "The Department of Defense is a really important partner in this process in terms of providing the funding and providing the land for these species," Hamman said.
                    In addition to the Mazama pocket gopher, environmentalists say the purchase of 2,600 acres of prairie land around JBLM will also help Taylor's checkerspot butterflies and streaked horned larks.
                    "Although our primary mission is fighting wars and military training, like other federal agencies, we have a requirement to support the recovery of listed species," said Jeffrey Foster, a civilian ecologist at JBLM and wrote the grant proposal.
                    The Endangered Species Act does allow the military to appeal for exemptions from the land use restrictions on designated critical habitats.
                    Glen Morgan, of the Freedom Foundation based in Olympia, Wash., has represented landowners who have been fighting what he calls the government takeover of private land. He said the Mazama pocket gopher is not distinct from gophers that are thriving throughout the Midwest and indeed survive remarkably well even on the JBLM artillery ranges.
                    "It shows our government is out of control and our priorities are completely out of whack," Morgan said. "And they're skewed in a strange way that has no benefit for people who live here or even the animals they claim they're trying to protect."
                    In addition to the $12 million in federal and state funding to buy 2,600 acres around JBLM, the Department of Defense also issued a $1.75 million REPI grant to Eglin Air Force Base in Florida to protect tortoise habitat.
                    A DOD spokesman said the program accounts for a relatively small amount of money and provides a buffer around bases to lessen conflicts with human neighbors over training. JBLM commander, Col. Charles Hodges, would not comment on the gopher spending, but he is upset about the furlough's impact on his civilian workforce.
                    "It's frustrating after all the sacrifices these folks have made that we're asking them to sacrifice more," he said.
                    Hines' family is sacrificing more than most. His wife and son are also civilian base employees. His household is losing $1,300 a month in pay.
                    "I think when this is all said and done, some people are going to lose their houses," said Hines. "They're going to be in financial ruin and I just don't think the government really, really understands that."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2YrAU7wc6

Comment

Which is why I lined it out like I did, recognizing that there are combat troops in all branches. You cut the majority of the Navy and AF from combat pay because by their very nature (planes, ships) they aren't engaged in face to face combat. Then you go through all branches and remove all non combat troops combat pay, leaving the actual war fighters with combat pay. If that doesn't work, you cut back every combat mos combat pay for all troops NOT in a war zone. You do all of that before you cut actual combat troop pay in combat areas.
                      Having a 24,000 freighter try to ram you during a "contested boarding" is plenty close to face-to-face. And then there's operating anywhere even remotely close to N.K., never knowing when one of their subs might decide that today is the day. I know it's not the same as getting shot at every day, but it does still warrant additional compensation.
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                        Having a 24,000 freighter try to ram you during a "contested boarding" is plenty close to face-to-face. And then there's operating anywhere even remotely close to N.K., never knowing when one of their subs might decide that today is the day. I know it's not the same as getting shot at every day, but it does still warrant additional compensation.
                        You mean their subs are something more than a guy in a 55 gallon drum with a evanrude attached?

Comment

You mean their subs are something more than a guy in a 55 gallon drum with a evanrude attached?
                          Word is, they have several of the better Chinese and Russian built boats. Not the best out there, but not the worst (Iran) either.

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                            Word is, they have several of the better Chinese and Russian built boats. Not the best out there, but not the worst (Iran) either.
                            You know, that really doesn't surprise me. China wants to keep NK at least a minimal threat to the US to keep our attention on them instead of focusing on China

Comment

I understand what you're saying, I just meant there's plenty of Navy and AF that are boots on ground.
                              True even the majority there aren't engaged but still there is all.
                              I agree combat pay needs to be cut from non frontline personnel just didn't agree with the blanket statement of take combat pay from Navy and AF. That is all.

Comment

Working...
                              X