Cosigned on student loan - am i screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
    update: the attorney referred me to another attorney that's more experienced with this type of situation.

First things first, he told me to have the lender send me a copy of the contract with my signature showing that I am legally on the hook for the loans. If they don't have that, the game changes. If they do, there are quite a few options moving forward and I'll dive deeper into those when the time comes. I expect a reply from the lender within a few days.
    Thanks for the update and good info to know.

Comment

update: the attorney referred me to another attorney that's more experienced with this type of situation.

First things first, he told me to have the lender send me a copy of the contract with my signature showing that I am legally on the hook for the loans. If they don't have that, the game changes. If they do, there are quite a few options moving forward and I'll dive deeper into those when the time comes. I expect a reply from the lender within a few days.
      Assuming you know you signed it way back when, hopefully they lost the paperwork. This is really "credit repair 101" where a loan has changed hands so many times that often times parts of the file gets lost whick makes it difficult to prove signatures.

Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
        What's up with your eyebrows?
        That isn't me, by the way. It is a member from here.

Comment

• I thought that was the guy I have to fight! I've been looking for him out in public!
          WH

Comment

• Originally posted by BradM View Post
            That isn't me, by the way. It is a member from here.
            Paging Mr. Burton....

Comment

• Originally posted by slow84lx View Post
              This situation sucks to be you. Your friend is not a friend at all. No friend would do this to you. I have to think that his wife is a huge influence on this whole problem and from the little that you have shared not a very upstanding person. I do hope that it gets resolved to your satisfaction and hope that you follow up here and share the outcome as it is interesting.

Good luck!
              They say every man has his price. I also say that every friendship has its price. I've had a friend or two in the past that seemed to be good friends until the money they owed me exceeded what the friendship was worth. Then, they magically disappeared, or at least tried to.

Comment

These loans have been in place since 2009. The balance now is only $4k less than it was 10 years ago. Absolute fucking sham.
                It absolutely is. I've debated going abroad and saying "fuck-it" to my student loans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  It absolutely is. I've debated going abroad and saying "fuck-it" to my student loans.
                  You were old enough when you signed yo for those to know better

Comment

Take out a whole bunch more if you're going to do that. Why the hell not
                    WH

Comment

IMHO, a student loan should convert from a revolving or compound interest loan to a simple interest loan the day the last draw is taken on the loan. That one simple change would save people many years and many thousands of dollars paying off their loans.

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      Take out a whole bunch more if you're going to do that. Why the hell not
                      There you go. Someone cosign in my place and then bug out or file bankruptcy. I don't care which. Either one leaves my "friend" solely on the hook for the loan and that's glorious.

Comment

• Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        Honestly, your stories are questionable to say the least. In real life, I would have sat in jail making no money and still been out $1k. I chalked it up as a loss, moved on and I've made far more than that.
                        Are you calling SVO a liar!?!?!?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by War Machine View Post
                          Are you calling SVO a liar!?!?!?!?!
                          Well, I mean, he is the guy that sucked off two black guys and made them watch... or whatever.
                          WH

Comment

Working...
                          X