Online Tax preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
    If you have a "dedicated" home office, you can deduct that square footage "cost" from the home value (percent of square footage, home value per square foot), as well as the same percent on phone, electricity, etc.
    Yea, I did all of that last year, I may have gotten a $50 credit if I recall correctly. Ah well, its better than nothing.

I am just curious to see if we are doing everything right since no one else has ever looked at them.

Comment

How often is someone audited off of these automated service? I use it for mine, but Im going to a CPA next time. Im sure the CPA will want to see previous years taxes to verify anything new I have coming. All I know about audits is the 7yr one my dad was put through.

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
        H&R Block will dick you big time. Refunds depends on what you put on your W9 when you give it to your employer. If you get a big refund (unless you get some earned income tax credit or other credit), it just means you over withheld throughout the year.

It cracks me up how people get excited about big refunds (short of getting credits). It just means you loaned the fed your money for the whole year interest-free. Sweet.

slow99, I think TurboTax can use a standard amount for sales tax deduction based on your income, but it's pretty low. The other option is to calculate it yourself. A little trick I use that helps a lot is to print my credit card statement and impute my sales tax at roughly 8.25% of the total. Then I add any car purchases or other large individual purchases subject to sales tax. That normally gives me a pretty nice sales tax deduction.

It appears your wife didn't input the amounts and just took the standard amount presuming y'all itemized.
        While that credit card amount sounds good.. have you been audited? I never paid attention to sales tax deduction until this year. Online purchases often dont have sale tax. Grocery store purchases only tax some things. Im doing standard deduction + car purchase tax. We spent a shitload last year remodeling and didnt keep receipts

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          While that credit card amount sounds good.. have you been audited? I never paid attention to sales tax deduction until this year. Online purchases often dont have sale tax. Grocery store purchases only tax some things. Im doing standard deduction + car purchase tax. We spent a shitload last year remodeling and didnt keep receipts
          Our attorney here at work does something similar to what quikag posted. He totals up credit card receipts for the year, takes 75% of the total and uses that to total sales tax. It held up in an audit.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I've always done my own, but I was with the same job for many years.
            I decided to have someone else do it that was recommended from a coworker from when I was oilfield all because I bought a house and went into business for myself in the later part of last year.
            I'm happy that I was only charged $250, but I'm not real sure that she did any better than I've ever done myself.
            I'll most likely do my own again next year.

Comment

You guys are getting ripped off! When I was having my taxes done, my lay only charged $75. She was a CPA and used to work for the IRS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by Leah
              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                You guys are getting ripped off! When I was having my taxes done, my lay only charged $75. She was a CPA and used to work for the IRS

When was the last time you had them done?

Comment

2 years ago. I haven't had any business revenue to report since then, so I have been filing my own

Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
                    H&R Block will dick you big time. Refunds depends on what you put on your W9 when you give it to your employer. If you get a big refund (unless you get some earned income tax credit or other credit), it just means you over withheld throughout the year.

It cracks me up how people get excited about big refunds (short of getting credits). It just means you loaned the fed your money for the whole year interest-free. Sweet.

slow99, I think TurboTax can use a standard amount for sales tax deduction based on your income, but it's pretty low. The other option is to calculate it yourself. A little trick I use that helps a lot is to print my credit card statement and impute my sales tax at roughly 8.25% of the total. Then I add any car purchases or other large individual purchases subject to sales tax. That normally gives me a pretty nice sales tax deduction.

It appears your wife didn't input the amounts and just took the standard amount presuming y'all itemized.

Thats what I paid a CPA like 4 years ago but my taxes are pretty simple... I think thats what they still charge

Comment

2 years ago. I haven't had any business revenue to report since then, so I have been filing my own

Send me her info, I haven't paid under $175 for 10-15 years
                      And some of those were "individual tax preparers " not cpa's. I normally pay from 250-450 for a cpa.

Comment

I use Turbo Tax every year but mine is very simple and I use the standard deduction. Got back $1100 this year.

Comment

Our tax guy charges $140, which is deductible on the next year's return, so even the $400 isn't off putting if you know that you are always over the standard deduction. We set an appointment as soon as tax season opens, spend 30 minutes with his assistant and then him, and leave with copies of what's being filed and amounts for each return (State and Fed.)

Well worth the time and effort saved.

Comment

So how's everyone looking this year?

Im using turbotax again and I'm just about to finalize. I owe $1,100. What in the fuck?
                            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I made slightly more than the previous year and paid $1,453 less in taxes thanks to the man in the MAGA hat.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                                So how's everyone looking this year?

Im using turbotax again and I'm just about to finalize. I owe $1,100. What in the fuck?
                                What's your effective tax rate?

Your paychecks were probably higher.

Comment

Working...
                                X