No announcement yet.

Project - Stump Puller (94 Lightning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used the VHT ceramic paint that oreillys carries (claims 1200°), it's held up well on my dirt bike headerand been pretty solid on my BMW streetbike. The BMW is starting to rust on the underside, I suspect the rain and wet conditions it's seen killed it.

Comment

I bet you could have those blasted and coated same-day locally. Look up Crosslink in Dallas. Anything else will cook off and smell like shit, trust me.

Comment

I kick myself every day for selling my 94L.

Comment

how hard is it to pull those headers off and do you need a special header gasket? i've got a leaking freeze plug

btw my headers have never been taken off

Comment

shouldn't be too hard. I'm about to pull the engine tomorrow. I was going to leave the headers on there but I'll remove them first and report back.

Sorry but I was too much in a rush to pull the engine that I forgot about this. Unfortunately I'm a few days behind since I was planning to have the heads at a machine shop by Saturday or this morning at the latest.

I don't know how often this happens but one of my headers is cracked at the collector. A muffler shop should be able to weld this right? It won't be stainless but I guess it doesn't matter. I'll still price out some new headers but this was not in my budget.

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 03-23-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

It's finally starting to come together. I had to order some head bolts last minute but I've been getting things cleaned up and ready to install. I got the heads back with the TFS upgraded springs. This should support the .510/.534 lift much better than the stock springs.

Also got some brackets cleaned up and painted.
              Last edited by GeorgeG.; 03-23-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

brackets look good. are you going to paint the engine, hint hint?
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                    brackets look good. are you going to paint the engine, hint hint?
                    Oh yeah, I was actually prepping those for paint, hence the inserted plugs.

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                    looks good!
                    Thanks

I got the new timing set replaced. You can tell there was quite a bit of slack, the new chain is tight! I got the engine block, front cover, water pump, and oil pan painted. New oil pump installed. I'll post some pics tomorrow. I started on the oil pan but ran into a stripped bolt hole and ended up breaking a bolt.

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 03-23-2017, 10:35 PM.

Comment

The rain, and life in general, has been kicking my ass every step of the way. It's been delay after delay but I'm slowly making progress. Here's couple more before/after shots. I went ahead and cleaned up the engine bay a little while the engine was out. Degreased and pressure washed the frame and painted.

I started along the passenger fender and removed almost everything and scrubbed it down. Washed the fender linings, heater box, and the firewall. I picked up another firewall plate (by the steering wheel) to replace the bent up one. I just need to reroute the tach wire and nitrous wires.

All in all, I think it'll look much better once it's done.

I'm a little disappointed in the header paint. I guess I can't expect too much from an $8 can of spray paint. Hopefully it'll cure after it bakes on there but I already rubbed some of it off while maneuvering the engine in the truck. I really like the black header look. I'm just hoping it'll hold up. If not, I may do some research on the longevity of wrapping them.
                      Last edited by GeorgeG.; 04-02-2017, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Well, I suck at taking pictures. I have a few but nothing really interesting along the way. After a few setbacks, it's in and running. I think I'm going to remove the chip and see if it'll run on its own. I also have a few kinks to iron out. These are kinks that were there prior to the tear down. The NOS is disconnected. I closed the fuel fitting as tight as it would go before stripping. I had to keep the plate there since the TB would've hit the intake vacuum tree without it. I need to find a better looking air intake tube and a mounting plate of some sort to get rid of the stock air box. The brakes are shot so I can't even drive it at the moment.

And a link to a video on my FB since my last attempt at YouTube failed.

https://www.facebook.com/george.gonz...69837663896819
                        Last edited by GeorgeG.; 04-09-2017, 08:57 PM.

Comment

I needed a break from the engine issues so I did a little work to the interior yesterday. I took out the plastic center console and installed a jump seat and spot cleaned the carpet.

Last edited by GeorgeG.; 04-14-2017, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Looks nice. How did you clean up the intake to make it look new again?

Comment

Thanks. I used a high temp aluminum paint. This was after degreasing, scrubbing, and power washing.

Comment

Wow. It sure turned out nice. The time I have tied using aluminum paint (not high temp), I realized that it would smudge easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X