Garage/Tool organization must haves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage/Tool organization must haves

What do you guys find most useful in organizing your garage and tools? Mine is in desperate need of a clean up and organization.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

When you get done with yours, mine is begging for attention!

Comment

I picked up a horrible fright roll cart, put the tools that are frequently used in in, and that way the big box is less cluttered, and I can put them back right there where im working.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        I picked up a horrible fright roll cart, put the tools that are frequently used in in, and that way the big box is less cluttered, and I can put them back right there where im working.
        Been kicking around that idea for some time, just don't want to lose the space with the cart.. Space is always an issue. Lea got me a folding service cart that has worked well though. That way I can at least keep everything on that so when I start to clean up, I can push it right to the tool box. Then when done it folds up and takes up very little space.

Comment

Cabinets and pegboard. Shelves and workbenches with a storage in the bottom part. A big metal filing cabinet.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            Cabinets and pegboard. Shelves and workbenches with a storage in the bottom part. A big metal filing cabinet.
            I've got several big metal filing cabinets I'm giving away soon - the previous owner left them behind and they take up too much space in my shop. If anyone here is interested, let me know.

Two are standard filing cabinets, one is horizontal drawers (wider than normal, files would read sideways). Two are around 5' tall and have the doors that open on front with drawers that pull out.

Comment

I have a couple homer buckets with lids I use for spare nuts and bolts and stack them. I have a lot of shelves too.. best thing you can do is get a little shed and put everything lawn related in there if you have room.. then throw away anything you haven’t touched in a year or more.. sometimes hard throwing shit away but such a relief when you don’t look at it.. I need pegboard at some point
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

I've got a decent sized work bench
                Rolling tool cabinet (small box on top with cabinet on the bottom
                4-6' of upper cabinets
                Peg board
                Drill/battery organizer

I need to purge. I have been trying to fill up the trash can every trash day with unused shit

Part of my problem I guess is material for 1/2 finished projects! :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                  I've got several big metal filing cabinets I'm giving away soon - the previous owner left them behind and they take up too much space in my shop. If anyone here is interested, let me know.

Two are standard filing cabinets, one is horizontal drawers (wider than normal, files would read sideways). Two are around 5' tall and have the doors that open on front with drawers that pull out.
                  Some people may not think that a filing cabinet would be good for a garage, but I find its great. All the flat things can go in them. I've got files labeled for the different grits of sand paper. Big time saver there. Another drawer (with files) for automotive and tool related receipts, manuals, and warranties. I thought about trying to file all the little pieces of sheet metal I keep in the third draw but nah, I just piled them up in there. I like to go overboard on organization cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to find anything. You'll find a use for the last drawer or two that is left, and you can stack stuff neatly up on top.
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    Some people may not think that a filing cabinet would be good for a garage, but I find its great. All the flat things can go in them. I've got files labeled for the different grits of sand paper. Big time saver there. Another drawer (with files) for automotive and tool related receipts, manuals, and warranties. I thought about trying to file all the little pieces of sheet metal I keep in the third draw but nah, I just piled them up in there. I like to go overboard on organization cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to find anything. You'll find a use for the last drawer or two that is left, and you can stack stuff neatly up on top.

I have a bunch of (free) pallet racks I haven’t set up yet. I’d much rather have those lining the walls than the big ass filing cabinets.

Comment

I've been using a combination of milk crates and plastic totes with the folding lids. For example, I have a tote filled with painting supplies, another for drywall and tiling supplies, etc. The milk crates are filled with grease cans, oil quarts, lawn chemicals, etc. Then those are stacked on 4ft shelves from home depot, the ones with the welded wire shelves. I also have a shelf for my larger tools like miter saw, drills, circular saw, nailers, etc., that came with a storage case.

My last house had one side of the garage wall that was all peg board...that was awesome and very handy. I'll probably do that again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
                        I have a bunch of (free) pallet racks I haven’t set up yet. I’d much rather have those lining the walls than the big ass filing cabinets.
                        Well you don't line the walls with them lol. You just have one in there. Perfect for sand paper and all your receipts and warranties and crap.
                        WH

Comment

Working...
                        X