Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hit a healthy lottery jackpot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    Complete this cliche:

"The lottery is a tax on _________ people."
    LOL Why don't people get this...Lottery is for people who suck at math.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
      My wife won $50 bucks on a scratcher once. We buy a few tickets when the huge jackpots roll around. Guy I used to work with won $2,000,000.00, does not have any of the cash any more but he does have assets. He built a bad ass house for cash on property his family already owned and paid off all of his and his wife's vehicles, boat, student loans, credit cards. So he isn't doing to bad.
      This is how I always imagined I'd spend a 1-4million dollar jackpot. I'd have it all spent in under a year on acreage, house, shop, new Haas cnc, boat, sxs and loads of random toys.

I wouldn't plan on quitting because I like my job and a couple million really wouldn't replace our salaries for long after taxes. So I would enjoy being rich for a year and then enjoy the assets.

Comment

I won $100 once about twenty years ago. My 11 year old son likes to do the scratch offs so I will buy him a few occasionally. Maybe he will graduate to liquor soon. But seriously he has already figured out that shit is a waste of money.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          This is how I always imagined I'd spend a 1-4million dollar jackpot. I'd have it all spent in under a year on acreage, house, shop, new Haas cnc, boat, sxs and loads of random toys.

I wouldn't plan on quitting because I like my job and a couple million really wouldn't replace our salaries for long after taxes. So I would enjoy being rich for a year and then enjoy the assets.
          1 million and I'm with you. It'll disappear fairly soon but I'll never have to worry about a house payment.

Bring home 4 million and things change. Invest it well enough to make 3% and that's $120k in interest every year. I wouldn't mind an extra $120k annually so it makes sense to avoid blowing your wad at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            LOL Why don't people get this...Lottery is for people who suck at math.
            Its about the enjoyment felt when you dream about how you spend it. $1 is a pretty cheap price for a quick thrill.

I've been through cal3, differential equations and several other specialized math classes and I still play occasionally. So math skills have nothing to do with it.

The risk reward of a lotto ticket can be considered substantial tially better than sodas to other comparably priced junk food.

Comment

I feel like I could live pretty damn comfortable on the interest alone of $4M man. But then again being unemployed would burn through that cash even quicker with idle hands.

What's the average return in the market, 7%? I could live on a +/- $250k a year. Am I doing that wrong? I guess that's not a ton if you have some kiddos.
              DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                I feel like I could live pretty damn comfortable on the interest alone of $4M man. But then again being unemployed would burn through that cash even quicker with idle hands.

What's the average return in the market, 7%? I could live on a +/- $250k a year. Am I doing that wrong? I guess that's not a ton if you have some kiddos.
                After the lump sum cut you're probably only winning $2.6MM, then you cut that in half for taxes. So even a 4million dollar jackpot will have under a $2MM take home.

And you'd probably be safer assuming 4%, but then again I'm not a good investor so I always play it safe on that front.

Either way, I'd enjoy pissing that money away for a year more than going for a return. And it's not like buying land is a zero return investment either.

Comment

After the lump sum cut you're probably only winning $2.6MM, then you cut that in half for taxes. So even a 4million dollar jackpot will have under a $2MM take home.

And you'd probably be safer assuming 4%, but then again I'm not a good investor so I always play it safe on that front.

Either way, I'd enjoy pissing that money away for a year more than going for a return. And it's not like buying land is a zero return investment either.
                  Confirmed I was doing it wrong.
                  Shit.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I hit a $5000 scratch off once, and I’ve hit a few $500 ones. I don’t play much, maybe a few tickets every time I’m down south, or I’ll send my mom $20 if the powerball gets way up.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                      Confirmed I was doing it wrong.
                      Shit.
                      I know my way isnt the most "fiscally correct"...but it's what's right for me. I grew up poor so I am all about that white trash rich. Better to burn out than to fade away.

Comment

I hit $580-ish once. It was right below the cutoff that requires taxes so that was nice.
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

My dad has hit a couple over $500 off the numbers. I've got $100 on one ticket, and $300 on 20 total $2 tickets at christmas.

I rarely buy the things, complete scam. I remember getting a chevy cavalier from the auction and that bitch was full of scratchers. The visors, the floorboards, the glove box, center console, dash, back seat, etc. Must have been thousands in there.

Comment

I will spend like $10 on a big pot. Other than that, I don't play at all, not even the scratch offs.

Back in early 2000's, me and a buddy were in a group lotto at work, and me and him got tired of spending 25 a month, so we dropped out. 2 weeks later the group won. I think it was somewhere between 12-16 mill. It was a pretty big group. Each of them after tax got 200k take home.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                              I will spend like $10 on a big pot. Other than that, I don't play at all, not even the scratch offs.

Back in early 2000's, me and a buddy were in a group lotto at work, and me and him got tired of spending 25 a month, so we dropped out. 2 weeks later the group won. I think it was somewhere between 12-16 mill. It was a pretty big group. Each of them after tax got 200k take home.
                              That would kill me

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post

Ain't that a bitch.

Comment

Working...
                                X