Bun B - Professor Trill @ Rice University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bun B - Professor Trill @ Rice University

So, Jay-Z and his Roc Nation appear to be very resolute in assembling artist that will include all sorts of musical flavors. There's J. Cole, Electronica,

Bun B. Completes First Day Of Teaching At Rice University
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:02 PM | 12 comments
    By Roman Wolfe
    Get Alerts

(AllHipHop News) UGK member Bun B. completed his first day of teaching Spirituality and Hip-Hop at Rice University today (January 11th).

During the first class today, Bun, aka "Professor Trill," gave the class a syllabus and the required reading material for the course, which is officially titled "Religion and Hip-Hop."

The rapper is taking the course very seriously, as the topic of religion is a very sensitive subject.

"This is a religious course, this is not in the music department," Bun B. explained during an interview on the Mad Hatta Morning Show on 97.9 in Houston, just before class today.

"These are young people who have taken upon themselves at a very young age, dedicated their life to religion, the search of religion and the study of religion, so I don't want to give these people any mis-information."

Bun said he realized some people would scrutinize has credentials to teach such a dynamic course. He even expects the students will challenge him at some point during the course.

"I'm totally prepared, I'm from P.A. [Port Arthur, Texas], so not much can shake me up. I used to work with Pimp C., so it's very hard to throw me off," Bun B. joked.

On a more serious note, Bun explained that spirituality was a much bigger part of Hip-Hop music than most people realize.

Hip-Hop artists and musicians, their religion comes into play a lot more during the course of making their music than people would think because a lot of music is geared toward the club and partying and all that," Bun explained. "A lot of times people go through a lot of serious life choices throughout the course of their career, may it either be the music, the business, the people around them or the choices that they make. A lot of that comes into conflict with their religion, if they're Baptist, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, even Buddhists. Whatever your religion may be."
    An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

he is def. one of the greats.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

holy shit this is awesome

Comment

How does a person who's not graduated college (probably didn't even attend, and possibly didn't even graduate high school) get a job teaching? How does a person who hasn't graduated college, nor hold any credentials in any sort of theological program/institution teach a class regarding theology? Guess that's Houston for ya.
        How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
          How does a person who's not graduated college (probably didn't even attend, and possibly didn't even graduate high school) get a job teaching? How does a person who hasn't graduated college, nor hold any credentials in any sort of theological program/institution teach a class regarding theology? Guess that's Houston for ya.
          Yeah it's Houston, but you do realize this is Rice University, right? My friend is in the class and he said that so far the class is surprisingly interesting. At least as much as it can be for being 4 days into the semester.

Comment

Originally posted by 5point0pony View Post
            Yeah it's Houston, but you do realize this is Rice University, right? My friend is in the class and he said that so far the class is surprisingly interesting. At least as much as it can be for being 4 days into the semester.
            Yes, I realize it's Rice. Means they should be held to a higher standard. I could see maybe a Junior College or something pulling this, but a supposed school of excellence? Fuck that. If I were a parent paying for my child to go to school their, I would begin looking at other schools who actually take education seriously. Immediately.

Comment

Nothing like paying $40k/yr in tuition to be taught by an illiterate.
              - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
              1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                Nothing like paying $40k/yr in tuition to be taught by an illiterate.
                Except he's got a rap lyric that goes, "...and read a book, you illiterate son of a bitch, and increase your vocab." BunB is a pretty successful, shrewd, and intelligent person, but if he's a rapper from Houston, I guess none of that counts.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                  Except he's got a rap lyric that goes, "...and read a book, you illiterate son of a bitch, and increase your vocab." BunB is a pretty successful, shrewd, and intelligent person, but if he's a rapper from Houston, I guess none of that counts.
                  nope, growing up middle class and going to college in order to make $40-50k/yr is the only acceptable path to success!
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I once said, "It would be cheaper to just fuck hookers than to get married." Perhaps Rice will hire me to teach in their Economics Department?

My point is that people pay the outrageous tuition at Rice to get something above and beyond what you get at the local Junior College. Personally, I don't feel any college education is worth spending that sort of money on, but that's beside the point. Rice positions itself as an Ivy League level institution and should have staff with the credentials to teach at that level.

Oh wait, I'm just hatin' on a nga cuz he's from h-town. Yeah, that's it.
                    - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                    1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Yes, I realize it's Rice. Means they should be held to a higher standard. I could see maybe a Junior College or something pulling this, but a supposed school of excellence? Fuck that. If I were a parent paying for my child to go to school their, I would begin looking at other schools who actually take education seriously. Immediately.
                      You should find a good school as well.

Comment

geor is mad because bun has 2 jobs!

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Religion IS a huge part of the hip-hop community. I mean they're always thanking god for their albums that are full of profanity, racial slurs, and sexism winning awards.
                          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                            You should find a good school as well.
                            Saw that shortly after i posted it butt was to lazy two correct.

Comment

Saw that shortly after i posted it butt was to lazy two correct.
                              I sea watt ewe did their.

Comment

Working...
                              X