• Show
Clear All

• House Remodel

Wife and I bought an old house.

built in 1940
    ~1800sqft
    4/2 w/detached garage
    pier and beam

I've been doing some demo over the last few weekends. I will get pics organized better at some point. Maybe.

Here is a link for now

Let me know if access doesn't work, I've never linked from Google like this

Plans are:

new kitchen
    new bathrooms
    new master closet
    vault ceiling in master
    put two beams in; one down the length of the hallway, and a 'tee' from the kitchen/dining to the first one
    Pex distribution plumbing system
    new electrical throughout

for now
    Last edited by CWO; 01-25-2019, 11:30 AM.

You should have called me to help demo some stuff. I'm great at fucking shit up.

Comment

Thanks for the offer! I have a feeling I'm just as good. I enjoy this stuff a little too much, I just need to find time to do more.

The very last pictures indicate the condition how we bought it

Comment

does that pic in the thread show up for everyone?

Comment

Reminds me of my house before the remodel.

While the walls are open...rewire it. Its cheap if you do it yourself. Spend the money on good insulation and air sealing the house. We did spend $6k on sprayfoam for my house, but my electric bills are usually less than $100/month on 2100sqft using a 2.5 ton heat pump. We have made up the money already in the 5 years we have been here.

One other thing. I learned the hard way doing all the work myself. It took me 18 months to gut and redo my house. Thats 18 months of mortgage I could have just paid for all the damn labor.
          Last edited by 8mpg; 01-25-2019, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
            Reminds me of my house before the remodel.

While the walls are open...rewire it. Its cheap if you do it yourself. Spend the money on good insulation and air sealing the house. We did spend $6k on sprayfoam for my house, but my electric bills are usually less than $100/month on 2100sqft using a 2 ton heat pump. We have made up the money already in the 5 years we have been here.

One other thing. I learned the hard way doing all the work myself. It took me 18 months to gut and redo my house. Thats 18 months of mortgage I could have just paid for all the damn labor.
            Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate the guidance. I learned quite a bit from your thread, it's hard to believe it's been that long. You were doing much more than us, I think.

We are leaning foam insulation. I am reseaching sealed vs non-sealed attics. Electrical will get done as well, I already did the garage, as all new input side plumbing and tankless water heater.... time time time

Comment

Im a fan of foam and I think with realistic numbers, I have paid off the foam. I figure $100/mo electric bill vs $200/mo (which would probably be on the low end of a 50 year old leaky house) has paid off the house. I paid $4k for the roofline to be done and $2k for all the exterior walls. If you do foam, make sure they do a minimum of 6" to get past the depth of the roof rafters.

Another place to think about insulating is the crawl space. We had the "old house smell" that was coming through the floors. We had the underside of the floors spray foamed with closed cell 2" and I couldnt believe the difference it made in the house. It was much warmer/cooler in the house. The floors were much more rigid and most of all, the smell was gone.

Comment

The beauty of the foam insulation is it seals the walls from ingress and egress, so you don't have to worry about tyvek or the like. Get your cabling, etc in as desired, then seal it up w/ the foam.

Comment

The bathrooms are concrete. That's both interesting and much more time consuming that I had anticipated. What a beating.

Comment

I had the same color tile in my bathrooms. Glad its gone.

Comment

Links don't work

Comment

Working...
                      X