Win7 and USB 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 and USB 3.0

Is there a work around to run win7 with USB 3.0?

I got the new ryzen rig put together and it only has USB 3.0. Win7 is shutting it down as soon as it boots. I can boot it on another computer if there is a work around to install USB 3.0 drivers

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Is there any specific need to still be on windows 7?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
      'Merica

Comment

Ryzen isn't supported on 7, officially. You'll have to Google "workarounds"

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
          Because I don't want to dick with upgrading and wanted a quick "swap" and havr my lasers back up and running without tracking down font files and other design specific stuff

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
            Because I don't want to dick with upgrading and wanted a quick "swap" and havr my lasers back up and running without tracking down font files and other design specific stuff

Welp, good luck.

I'd say invest the time in getting prepared for an upgrade, then do it.
            sigpic

Comment

Are you holding off because the oem hasn't updated drivers for your equipment?

Comment

No. It is a workflow upgrade. I was simply hoping to drop the SSD out of the laptop I had running the lasers into this machine without upgrading to win 10. As well as the time it takes to either transfer all of the files and install all of the different fonts we use for design work. Compound that with not being too fond of the win 10 interface, and I went in search of a way to force it to work, though, most work arounds were geared towards new installs and injecting the USB drivers into the install ISO. I found one work around, forcing a driver update to run when the machine boots, however, it appeared to hang up wanting admin approval.

So, I ended up playing round robbin with drives. I stuck the drive from my shipping computer in the new build, it has win10 and will put the win7 drive in the shipping comouter once the replacement PSU arrives

Comment

While tossing a drive an OS from an old machine into a new, totally different machine may seem tempting, you're begging for problems.
                  Last edited by Tx Redneck; 05-24-2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I hate to say it, but Magnus is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      While tossing a drive an OS from an old machine into a new, totally different machine may seem tempting, you're begging for problems.
                      So I'm learning. It has been a LONG time since I have put a system together. These types of issues never used to be a problem.

The win10 SSD is running with zero issue. Thankfully, most of our frequently used files are in dropbox. For now, the only issue will be font files.

I'll spend part of the day tomorrow harvesting files and deciding if I want to replace the older optiplex790.

Anyone have any use for some OLD AMD tech (ASUS M2N-E board, don't remember the chipset)
                      DDR3 ram
                      Dell Studio 17 laptop
                      Dell Optiplex 790 (will have brand new PSU)

Comment

Working...
                      X