Got a new smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    Rubs are different tastes for different people. I wouldn't like that rub, it has way too much chili powder. That is just something you have to play with. I'll say this, though...

1.) I prefer a spare rib over baby back. They have more meat, fat, an are cheaper.
    2.) 3-2-1. 3 hours uncovered, 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 more hour uncovered. If you use a sauce, apply when you unwrap it for the last hour. Sauce isn't necessary, but if you want to add it, thats when you do it.
    3.). Some people rub with yellow mustard, then the dry rub. I don't. While I do that with pork butt, the flavor pulls through way too much on a rib. Instead, just add a little mustard powder in to your rub.
    4.). Apple juice, apple juice, apple juice. Spray heavy at every stage. Like 1/4 to half a cup. You can spray or mop. I do both, just depends on my mood. Spray is nice because it doesn't mess with the rub/bark. I do like a mop though, because I'll add in a little oil, and diced onion, minced garlic, etc.
    5.). Fresh chopped herbs give a nice contrasting flavor to pork. "fresh" to balance the heat and earthy flavor.
    I use this same method except I do use mustard. 3-2-1 turns out awesome and it's easy to do. It's still not exact, you just have to practice, they may finish up sooner you may need to cook them longer but that's the art of BBQ.

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
      all this at 225 I assume? is this not an internal temp food like brisket?
      Yes, 225. You can go by internal temp if you want, But 99% of the time for a spare rib, 3-2-1 is perfect. it would be more like a 2-2-1 for a baby back rib because it's not as much meat, so doesn't take as long. 3-2-1 is probably the most common rib method there is. Tons of people use it religiously.

I will say, for 3-2-1 to work, you MUST rest the ribs (on the counter) to let them come up to room temp. And you MUST let the ribs rest before you cut in to them, to let the remaining fat redistribute through the meat. That is crucial to grilling as well. You never go straight from fridge to fire, and never straight from fire to fork/knife.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yes, 225. You can go by internal temp if you want, But 99% of the time for a spare rib, 3-2-1 is perfect. it would be more like a 2-2-1 for a baby back rib because it's not as much meat, so doesn't take as long. 3-2-1 is probably the most common rib method there is. Tons of people use it religiously.

I will say, for 3-2-1 to work, you MUST rest the ribs (on the counter) to let them come up to room temp. And you MUST let the ribs rest before you cut in to them, to let the remaining fat redistribute through the meat. That is crucial to grilling as well. You never go straight from fridge to fire, and never straight from fire to fork/knife.
        This part I did do.. I rubbed them last night and left them in the fridge overnight then pulled them out this morning for about 45 mins before putting them on the smoker.
        Then when I pulled them off the smoker they sat on the counter for about 20 mins before I cut into them
        1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

I have a smoker like this - I'm really happy with it and I get great results even though some say they aren't true BBQ

Comment

Looking at making my first attempt at ribs this weekend, any suggestions on a rub and a sauce I can buy at the store that is good? I prefer a little spice and vinegar and hate thick bbq sauce.

Comment

It is absolutely astounding how many people don't abide this rule. and its not even grilling smoking either. Just cooking in general.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                Looking at making my first attempt at ribs this weekend, any suggestions on a rub and a sauce I can buy at the store that is good? I prefer a little spice and vinegar and hate thick bbq sauce.
                For a good store bought sauce that's more tangy than sweet and not too thick, I'd recommend Austin's Own Border Edition Medium. They have it at most grocery stores as well as Costco.
                Atlantic Blue '00 - '03 Cobra motor and TKO600, solid axle, full MM suspension
                Silver '01 Vette - D1 blown LS

Comment

Originally posted by Trick Pony View Post
                  For a good store bought sauce that's more tangy than sweet and not too thick, I'd recommend Austin's Own Border Edition Medium. They have it at most grocery stores as well as Costco.
                  He's not going to like that sauce based on what he posted above. While it has a little kick, it's thick, and not a vinegar based sauce. I like Austin's Own for a store bought, but that's not what he asked for.

I can't really offer any advice up. I loathe vinegar based sauces.

Comment

I may just end up swinging by the local bbq joint I eat at just about every week and pick up a pint of their sauce. They have a regular, spicy and a vinegar out on their bean bar. If you mix all three with about 3/4 regular 1/4 vinegar and just a touch of the spicy it makes exactly what I like.

Comment

I decided to give it another shot today using Brent wisdom. I'm using some store bought rub on spare ribs and also put some chicken qtrs in as well
                      1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                        I decided to give it another shot today using Brent wisdom. I'm using some store bought rub on spare ribs and also put some chicken qtrs in as well
                        Cool it can't hurt and will be good...

For the masses what are the best wood chips for the flavor with this method? I am ready to buy one while I am waiting on my friend to build me a proper one.

I have some kick ass rub recipes that are from family just not a smoker to do them with.
                        Last edited by Couver; 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                          Cool it can't hurt and will be good...

For the masses what are the best wood chips for the flavor with this method? I am ready to buy one until I can have my friend build me a proper smoker.

I have some kick ass rub recipes that are from family just not a smoker to do it.
                          Consider building your own UDS, or even a clay pot smoker in the mean time. Cheap cheap cheap.

Wood is all preference. I like a mixture of pecan and mesquite the most. Cherry wood is a favorite of mine too. I haven't done anything with apple yet, and peach intrigues me, but I can't find it around here.

Comment

Consider building your own UDS, or even a clay pot smoker in the mean time. Cheap cheap cheap.

Wood is all preference. I like a mixture of pecan and mesquite the most. Cherry wood is a favorite of mine too. I haven't done anything with apple yet, and peach intrigues me, but I can't find it around here.

Mesquite doesn't add to much over the time of cooking? It can be so good yet overpowering. My grandfather used mesquite to grill on when I spent my summers here and it seemed strong on steaks.

His rub is what made the meat. If I go with pecan or oak will that get it done? I want wood flavor as a background to the rub not the opposite.

Comment

Nothing beats post oak.

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                                Mesquite doesn't add to much over the time of cooking? It can be so good yet overpowering. My grandfather used mesquite to grill on when I spent my summers here and it seemed strong on steaks.

His rub is what made the meat. If I go with pecan or oak will that get it done? I want wood flavor as a background to the rub not the opposite.
                                Yes, mesquite is very strong. As is hickory. That's why I use a mixture of pecan and mesquite. For instance, 2 logs of pecan, then a log of mesquite. Repeat. If using chips, I'd use a mixture of 70% pecan, to 30% mesquite.

I don't care for oak at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X