New Tesla roadster does 0 to 100 in 4.2 sec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. I think everyone here will miss ICEs in general when they are finally put out to pasture, but the same was probably said by people that loved horse and buggy transportation when the car started pushing that to the side.
    I'll miss the IC engine, but there's a lot about it that I won't miss. A hell of a lot. And its all stuff that the electric motor just doesn't hassle you with.
    WH

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
      Let's put it another way, all that money and tech, and in any race over 100 miles, I'd put money on my old ass tech 91 ZR-1. 600 mile range.... not over 50 mph. ZR-1 all day.
      This isn't the first time you've brought this up. You realize that a niche hobby isn't the biggest concern for the majority of the planet, right? And that literally zero Tesla owners will ever lose sleep if a Musk car doesn't compete in an endurance race, right? And that any advances they can make, or push others to make, in battery and storage tech have the potential of benefiting all of humanity, right?

I'm not saying ol' Elon isn't running a big scam over there, but in this context no one gives a shit about your 26 year old GM car.

Comment

Okay strychnine. You do realize formula E is a real thing right now. How many formula E races do you think Tesla or Elon will ever win? Zero. The man and his machines are all hype and fail to deliver. The Porsche 918 will be a classic soon and it shows quite well what hybrid power can do.

Endurance racing is where auto technology makes its leaps forward just like NASA and govt labs do for all science and tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
          This isn't the first time you've brought this up. You realize that a niche hobby isn't the biggest concern for the majority of the planet, right? And that literally zero Tesla owners will ever lose sleep if a Musk car doesn't compete in an endurance race, right? And that any advances they can make, or push others to make, in battery and storage tech have the potential of benefiting all of humanity, right?
          Tesla is more of a cut and paste company. Musk did not even found it; he bought it. There is also nothing new about their batteries. They just use shit ton of above average quality 18650 cells. The only truly outstanding thing they have engineered is the main electrical bus and the method of PWM the high current loads their motors require.

You do realize that nature perfected the perfect battery hundreds of millions of years ago don't you? We commonly refer to natures design as fossil fuels.

Okay strychnine. You do realize formula E is a real thing right now. How many formula E races do you think Tesla or Elon will ever win? Zero. The man and his machines are all hype and fail to deliver. The Porsche 918 will be a classic soon and it shows quite well what hybrid power can do.

Endurance racing is where auto technology makes its leaps forward just like NASA and govt labs do for all science and tech.
          The Hybrid super cars are being built for one reason and one reason only; the ICE inability to make its peak torque instantly. There is nothing new about ICE over electric; even the original design for the Tiger tank used electric direct drive motors.(Designed by Ferdinand Porsche himself) ICE over electric has a greater potential for what the greenies want then a pure plug and play design does and it provides outstanding performance if packaged correctly.

I also must point out that many of the first cars ever made were all electric or ICE over electric. Look up the Lohner-Porsche Mixte Hybrid from 1900.
          Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 11-19-2017, 01:31 AM.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            Tesla is more of a cut and paste company. Musk did not even found it; he bought it. There is also nothing new about their batteries. They just use shit ton of above average quality 18650 cells. The only truly outstanding thing they have engineered is the main electrical bus and the method of PWM the high current loads their motors require.

You do realize that nature perfected the perfect battery hundreds of millions of years ago don't you? We commonly refer to natures design as fossil fuels.

The Hybrid super cars are being built for one reason and one reason only; the ICE inability to make its peak torque instantly. There is nothing new about ICE over electric; even the original design for the Tiger tank used electric direct drive motors.(Designed by Ferdinand Porsche himself) ICE over electric has a greater potential for what the greenies want then a pure plug and play design does and it provides outstanding performance if packaged correctly.

I also must point out that many of the first cars ever made were all electric or ICE over electric. Look up the Lohner-Porsche Mixte Hybrid from 1900.
            You've got this exactly backwards. Hybrid race cars in F1 and WEC are a result of regulations aimed at making these race cars more relevant to current road cars. Racing is an extreme way to develop rugged tech, and in both F1 and the WEC it was the regulation that drove the hybrid movement. Those regulations were driven by auto manufacturers with teams in the series that wanted to make their race programs relevant to their road car research. A recent regulation in WEC is the requirement to drive a certain distance on electrical power only.

Comment

Look another strawman argument from Anthony when he's been proven wrong.

You do realize that even a Formula E car doesn't finish a race? They switch cars MID RACE because of the limitations. They also have a top speed that doesn't even come close to the Tesla nor the amount of power output. The next season will be the first time they even try to finish on 1 car.

The 918 isn't all electric.

None of the cars in these series can come close to being road legal.

So None of this is relevant OR Supporting your desire to be correct. Everytime you throw out a strawman argument to distract from your current one...you give yourself another opportunity to be incorrect again.

Comment

I agree with most of what you’ve said here. I’d say that Tesla’s reliance on Li-Ion may come to bite them in the ass in the next 5 years if solid state batteries are successfully mass produced. Toyota is investing heavily in that tech. BTW, just a side note, the inventor of Li-Ion also created those solid state batteries.

But I disagree on fossils fuels. That’s not the perfect battery, photosynthesis process of generating and storing energy is. We’re getting closer to figuring that out. If we ever do, solar power will take over as the primary energy source for the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  You've got this exactly backwards. Hybrid race cars in F1 and WEC are a result of regulations aimed at making these race cars more relevant to current road cars. Racing is an extreme way to develop rugged tech, and in both F1 and the WEC it was the regulation that drove the hybrid movement. Those regulations were driven by auto manufacturers with teams in the series that wanted to make their race programs relevant to their road car research. A recent regulation in WEC is the requirement to drive a certain distance on electrical power only.
                  I said absolutely nothing about a race car. I said super cars like the Porsche 918 that you mentioned.

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                  I agree with most of what you’ve said here. I’d say that Tesla’s reliance on Li-Ion may come to bite them in the ass in the next 5 years if solid state batteries are successfully mass produced. Toyota is investing heavily in that tech. BTW, just a side note, the inventor of Li-Ion also created those solid state batteries.

But I disagree on fossils fuels. That’s not the perfect battery, photosynthesis process of generating and storing energy is. We’re getting closer to figuring that out. If we ever do, solar power will take over as the primary energy source for the world.
                  Can you name another "Battery" that has the energy density of fossil fuels and that can hold its "Charge" as long?

We are nowhere close to being able to duplicate photosynthesis; we barely even know how it actually works and have no model of how to duplicate it but I do have to agree with you about our energy problems being over once we figure it out. I suspect that once we figure out cold fusion our energy problems would also be over but that ain't going to happen either.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I said absolutely nothing about a race car. I said super cars like the Porsche 918 that you mentioned.

Can you name another "Battery" that has the energy density of fossil fuels and that can hold its "Charge" as long?

We are nowhere close to being able to duplicate photosynthesis; we barely even know how it actually works and have no model of how to duplicate it but I do have to agree with you about our energy problems being over once we figure it out. I suspect that once we figure out cold fusion our energy problems would also be over but that ain't going to happen either.
                    The Porsche 918 was made specifically for the LMP1-H class in endurance racing.

Edit: nevermind it's the 919 in WEC. I also never mentioned the 918, but you're correct in that I took your generic statement to mean actual competition cars.

But the push to hybrids has nothing to do with the torque...we have gears afterall
                    Last edited by Ruffdaddy; 11-19-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

The 918 isn't all electric? No shit, ruffrider.

Tell you what, ruff. Why don't you go do a statistical analysis on the sum total of your posts and tell us all the t-squared probability that your still an arrogant dipshit. You have a six sigma failure rate probability that you're not an arrogant dipshit, at best. Care to tell everyone the odds?

You have any other tidbits of common knowledge you want to pass of as genius? The 918 isn't an electric car.....

Comment

The 918 isn't all electric? No shit, ruffrider.

Tell you what, ruff. Why don't you go do a statistical analysis on the sum total of your posts and tell us all the t-squared probability that your still an arrogant dipshit. You have a six sigma failure rate probability that you're not an arrogant dipshit, at best. Care to tell everyone the odds?

You have any other tidbits of common knowledge you want to pass of as genius? The 918 isn't an electric car.....
                        Haha There we have it again...deflecting. You realize this is a thread about an all electric car right? Do you always just throw out random topics or just when you need to deflect a topic because you look like a moron? Also not touching on your stupid formula E comment huh?

But..but...common sense!!11!1

I could have predicted this response from a mile away.

Edit: and I see you can't handle the stress of this. I'll take it easy on you for a bit. Let your fragile little feelings recover.

Comment

So basically you don't know enough about statistics to realize I just said there is a one in a million chance your not an overly arrogant dipshit.

My point with electric cars is and has been constant. They overpromise and under deliver, just like you. Of course to you, that's an accomplishment. I guess it makes sense you don't understand the argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            The Porsche 918 was made specifically for the LMP1-H class in endurance racing.

Edit: nevermind it's the 919 in WEC. I also never mentioned the 918, but you're correct in that I took your generic statement to mean actual competition cars.

But the push to hybrids has nothing to do with the torque...we have gears afterall

You and AnthonyS sound alike when you are arguing and I can not tell the two of you apart just by reading what y'all write. He was the one that mentioned the 918.

Making a super car a hybrid that only has a very small battery has everything to do with torque; instant peak torque. An ICE simply cannot hit the tires with instant torque the way an electric motor can no matter how you gear it. Why do you think the 0 to 60 times are dropping to levels that were previously thought impossible? It is also very useful on a track car for getting out of a tight corner faster; it also helps get the ICE into its power band quicker then it could on its own. This way of designing a super car is why the 918 only has a 12 mile range on the battery alone.

Edit: I have bitched a blue streak every time the topic of plug and play electric cars has been brought up and I call them a worthless endeavor until we can charge them 100 percent without burning fossil fuels. This doesn't mean that I think the technology is worthless. I just believe that it is being misapplied and that the expectations for them are unrealistic.
                            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 11-19-2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

You and AnthonyS sound alike when you are arguing and I can not tell the two of you apart just by reading what y'all write. He was the one that mentioned the 918.

Making a super car a hybrid that only has a very small battery has everything to do with torque; instant peak torque. An ICE simply cannot hit the tires with instant torque the way an electric motor can no matter how you gear it. Why do you think the 0 to 60 times are dropping to levels that were previously thought impossible? It is also very useful on a track car for getting out of a tight corner faster; it also helps get the ICE into its power band quicker then it could on its own. This way of designing a super car is why the 918 only has a 12 mile range on the battery alone.
                              I can imagine someone that doesn't know better may think that , Except one of us is not perpetually deflecting from stupid comments. And aside from sounding like a pathological liar...you sound like someone that reads headlines and thinks it means you're thoroughly trained on the subject.

The 0-60 time has very little to do with torque from an electric motor. ICE rally cars have been doing sub 2 second 0 to 60s for years among many other cars. That 0-60 was never thought impossible...it just wasn't a target because no one that buys a super or HyperCar does so with the intent of challenging people in a 0-60 race. The nurburgring lab time has always been the number that cars are judged by. Musk knows this...hence his reason for "competing" with a different metric. Without active aero or greatly reduced range he will never be able to compete on lap time.

It's not a lack of Torque that prevents a sub 2s 0-60 and if you think otherwise provide data. Real data, not an article you're offering to mail me, or the perpetual oil well you are still searching for.

Edit: regarding your edit. We all agree they're way oversold...but calling them a worthless endeavor is silly. An Ice will never be able to use regenerative breaking without some form of hybrid attachment. It breaks a dependence on petroleum. Energy can come from multiple sources.

Comment

If you're looking at nature I'd say a much better example is the sun/stars. Which allowed for fossil fuels to even exist in the first place. And energy can be taken from the sun via solar panels. I'm not saying we know how to make excellent use of it yet via cheap solar panels that are very efficient (yet) but I'd still say the sun is something way better to try and emulate or use than fossil fuels. Which will be gone at some point.

It seems like lots of people just don't want to face facts. The time of fossil fuels is coming to a close. Obviously not immediately, but there is definitely more time behind fossil fuel than it has ahead. Nothing lasts forever, and the heyday of fossil fuels isn't going to be somehow immune to this. It had a good run. Which isn't over yet, but if it were a person it would be elderly.
                                WH

Comment

Working...
                                X