adding a vent to differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding a vent to differential

On the rx7 I have a wavetrac inside a 09 ford explorer case with a cobra diff cover. The rear end gets really hot and the oil starts to leak through the seals.

I do not see a vent on the rear end, is this something I can tap and install as I believe it will fix the leak issues.

Would a vent make enough of a difference?
    WH

Comment

that was fords solution to the problem and it seems to work just fine.

Comment

There is already a vent. The oil is boiling and forcing its way out. You need a dif oil cooler pronto.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I had the same issue with my 8.8 and had to extend the vent with a 1ft hose, fixed my issue when road racing
          Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            There is already a vent. The oil is boiling and forcing its way out. You need a dif oil cooler pronto.
            I almost said that lol. Guess the gears turning would suffice well enough to churn the oil through the cooler. At least well enough for it to work. If there isn't actually a vent on that particular model, then maybe add vent, rig up oil cooler, and add a heatsink-type diff cover. Between those 3 it should be solved.

- Random thoughts flying out of my head, no idea which one would actually be the one that worked to solve the issue. I just like to talk about stuff like this.
            WH

Comment

This will fix your problem
              Long story short, my rear axle vent was leaking. I went to the stealership to get a new replacement vent, and ended up getting a kit that they replaced the vent with. Part number is: DR3Z-4022-A "KIT HOSE ASY" It replaces the vent with a barb and the kit includes a section of rubber tubing...
              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Explorer housing should have a vent barb on the top of the passenger tube. Maybe someone plugged it? Sure you are not seeing fluid dripping down the housing from the existing vent?

This was fords solution to the vent leak on the S197 cars.

Part # AR3Z-4A058-B

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but IRS does not have axle tubes, I have a '09+ Explorer IRS housing not solid. I think the only place a vent can go is in the housing for IRS.

I went out to double check though since I know linux and not cars, and I dont see any vent.

Rear end looks like this:
                  Last edited by abecx; 08-24-2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Seems I was confused. Sorry about that

Maybe you could drill and tap one of the the bosses on the housing for a vent barb. It looks like the ford performance cover also has a vent if you didnt want to drill anything.

Comment

There is a little steel cap that is the vent on the IRS diffs. Without a vent the axle seals would pop out the first time the oil got up to temp.
                      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                      X