Stolen gun, failsafes for identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
    I will ask again today. I do hate the fact there is somewhere you can't have a gun checked for stolen before buying. Usually, I tell people, bring it to the station, because if it is stolen it has to go with me. If I run a stolen weapon the originating agency gets a hit, so not like it is confidential. Just because you have stolen gun, does not mean you will be automatically arrested. The originating agency will want to know your name and story behind it though.
    What you're saying makes sense from a process point of view if the weapon is stolen.

I cannot think of a downside to the database leveraged by the PDs - not being a public database that can be used by the average Joe for searches/read only purposes.

Sure:
    1. Those with suspected or know stolen guns can confirm it.

2. Some people may leverage the knowledge to reduce the price in guns. These type of folks are not likely to turn in their stolen weapons anyway.

...However, providing a serial number up front would likely become a requirement by most. Any stolen weapons for sale would be reported immediately (heck, build a nice "report a stolen weapon" interface as part of the searches). I think a lot of folks currently having stolen weapons in the possession, would turn them in.

Those that would not turn in their stolen weapons would make sure they are not found/used in everyday activities.

Either way, I think more good than bad would occur from public access to that information.

Edit: For the record, just talking here - not indicating you can do anything about it.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
      What you're saying makes sense from a process point of view if the weapon is stolen.

I cannot think of a downside to the database leveraged by the PDs - not being a public database that can be used by the average Joe for searches/read only purposes.

Sure:
      1. Those with suspected or know stolen guns can confirm it.

2. Some people may leverage the knowledge to reduce the price in guns. These type of folks are not likely to turn in their stolen weapons anyway.

...However, providing a serial number up front would likely become a requirement by most. Any stolen weapons for sale would be reported immediately (heck, build a nice "report a stolen weapon" interface as part of the searches). I think a lot of folks currently having stolen weapons in the possession, would turn them in.

Those that would not turn in their stolen weapons would make sure they are not found/used in everyday activities.

Either way, I think more good than bad would occur from public access to that information.

Edit: For the record, just talking here - not indicating you can do anything about it.
      Tyrants are the ones that like to restrict access to information when withholding that information can be useful to keep a boot on the neck of the public. Have you ever wondered how many people have been sent to prison for possessing a stolen gun that was not stolen?

Edit: I once met (I had seen him many times before but never had a chance to have a conversation with him) a really old guy at my range that was shooting an equally old 1911. I asked to check the 1911 out and noticed the serial number had been removed and I asked why. He told me that pre WWII he was in a bar near El Paso and some Army MPs came in and they wanted to stir up some shit. The MPs got jumped and had the shit kicked out of them and he took the gun off of the one that he beat down. I am more than happy to let him keep that stolen gun.
      Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 09-26-2017, 09:35 AM.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
      X